Where to get Runequest in Australia ?

Dirk Le Daring

G'day all.

I am making this thread to ask about reliable sources for Runequest material in Australia. Specifically RQRIG. I understand that Chaosium has a warehouse here in Oz (awesome), however there must be retailers that are for want of a better word "regulars".

Here is why I ask... I have the RQRIG slipcase set (fantastic), the Guide to Glorantha (fantastic), the Quickstart and the second edition reprint in hardcover (nostalgia). Usually I will buy from a company in Melbourne, Milsims (which I did for the mentioned titles), who I have found to be excellent over the years. My concern is this, they do not have The Red Book of Magic listed for pre-order. This is no complaint about Milsims in any way, so by now I would have expected to see it listed for pre-order by now for said title, considering it is on the way to warehouses. Also I have no idea how Chaosium markets in Australia or what outlets are preferred. If that is even a thing. 

This is probably the most important question for me..... If I order from Chaosium, does the item ship from the Australian warehouse ? Or does it ship from somewhere else with potentially horrendous postage costs ? This is the key for me. I wish to support local business, but if they will not get the stock, I'll have to go elsewhere..... 

Are there any Aussies on here that can help me out with this please????? 

Have a good one all.

When you order direct from Chaosium, the product page will show you which warehouses have each book in stock. So if you see an Australian flag, you'll only be charged local postage. If you're ordering something that's only available from Canada, you'll pay postage from Canada. You'll see the postage charge before you place your order.

image.png.8afa75b399535ea7572c177fb5850ca1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm in Melbourne. Ive bought quite a few items from the Chaosium website, getting the pdfs straight away and having the hard copies mailed. The warehouse is in Sydney I think (possibly Brisbane). The books always  arrive with an impressive amount of packaging and within a few days. No complaints there.

Milsims seems to be best bet for in-store RQ purchases locally. Havent been there since 2019 for obvious reasons, but they allways have  had everything released in stock, including the quickstart, when I go.

I believe Michael O'Brien "MOB" is local. Not the Liberal leader who looks like an aged Matthew Newton. The other one.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dirk Le Daring said:

This is probably the most important question for me..... If I order from Chaosium, does the item ship from the Australian warehouse ? Or does it ship from somewhere else with potentially horrendous postage costs ? This is the key for me. I wish to support local business, but if they will not get the stock, I'll have to go elsewhere..... 

I live in Brisbane and I order straigth from Chaosium. It ships from Australia and it takes only a few days to get to my place. Depending on what I order it costs about $20 of shipping. It's still worth it. You get the free PDF when you buy from Chaosium and generally buying in a game store is slightly more expensive anyway.

I just put RBoM on pre-order at my FLGS here in East Texas (Geek World in Tyler for those interested).  I shop local not only because they offer a discount on special orders, but also to support jobs in my community.  And to encourage them to stock Runequest stuff for others, especially since they have a big CoC selection.  Plus I like looking through the miniatures to see if there is anything that could be Glorantha appropriate.  Good ducks are ferociously difficult to find.

Don’t really do PDFs as I don’t trust the impermanence of electrons.  I’ve got too many old dead hard drives in a box with good stuff on them that’s basically inaccessible.  Give me the solid feel of dead elves on a bookshelf any day.

On 3/27/2021 at 7:27 PM, Dirk Le Daring said:

Usually I will buy from a company in Melbourne, Milsims (which I did for the mentioned titles), who I have found to be excellent over the years. My concern is this, they do not have The Red Book of Magic listed for pre-order. This is no complaint about Milsims in any way, so by now I would have expected to see it listed for 

I saw the guy at the counter at Milsims wearing a Runequest T shirt, and when I quized him  about it he said he he bought it himself online. He was obviously motivated. Maybe they're still finding their feet after lockdown and just havent got roumd to updating everything on the website. I do miss the mail out catalogue they used to have. 

• Like 1