Running a Great Hunt

9 hours ago, GMKen said:

Interestingly, a RAW reading of the original Griffin Mountain Foundchild cult reveals that it is only at the Initiate level that it is specifically indicated that they must hunt alone.  Lay members may participate in the hunt, and it could be inferred that they might work together to make sure everyone got some prey.  They’re still in the learning stage, and it’s a chance to see how their teamwork skills are developing.

This is also a High holy Day for Yinkin and Odayla as well, so if this is the case, then the same rules would apply. 

On 5/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, Baron Wulfraed said:

Going by RQ:RiG p295/296, this is only possible IF there is an opening for a new "Master Hunter".

It is likely every Clan maintains a Master Hunter, and it is possible that they may have openings for more than one, given that the upkeep isn't exactly high.  Master Hunters tend to produce more for their society than they cost to maintain.  It isn't like warrior cults who essentially go on patrols or sit around drinking mead in the chief's hall until their clan gets into a fight and they are needed.  In a hunter/gatherer culture the Master Hunter will either be training people, which is a production multiplier effect, or they will be out catching game reliably, which is directly contributing to the lifeblood of their economy.  Of course, why bother being a Master Hunter when you can move to a civilized area and sell your skills as a trainer for an absolute fortune?

• 8 months later...
46 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I like to picture that there's a "base camp" that the hunters will return to (or arrive at, if it's the Skanthi great hunt that doesn't assemble people together in the first place before the hunt). Other party members can get to hang around there and have intrigues and minor adventures.

Anything that generates adventure seeds is proof one is on the right track!

30 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Question: about what size/quality of game do you think is necessary to win in an average year? Magical deer?

Hmm this is fraught with great danger... but, with great danger come great adventure seeds? One would assume passing the barrier of enacting a small heroquest during a sacred fortnight and entering a greater HeroQuest might be a very thin veil to pierce at this juncture.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

18 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Hmm this is fraught with great danger... but, with great danger come great adventure seeds? One would assume passing the barrier of enacting a small heroquest during a sacred fortnight and entering a greater HeroQuest might be a very thin veil at this juncture.

That could certainly do it - it means going for broke, and I don't imagine it happens every hunt, but it's certainly a potential winner!

I'm going to run a Great Hunt for next session, but with only one PC as an actual Hunter (although we've noted that Herders get a probably better skill-set for hunting than Hunters do...) and three Yinkin/Odayala initiates or wanna-bes, no-one is actually expecting or really going for a win this first time. Instead I have a small scenario with Lunar meddling baked in.

The one player whose PC really didn't fit in the Great Hunt situation will borrow a scenario-relevant NPC hunter (Orogerian, no less) to run. I'm thinking they will also run into that Zong hunter they have met before.

Edited by Akhôrahil

The Great Hunt happens over three weeks, during which there are several other related holy days  for Orlanth, Gustbran, Odayla, Yinkin, Aldrya, Eurmal, and a few others which can tie in. So in that first week, its Orlanth's Birthday - a High Holy Day and so some of that Week's hunt could go to the feast for that day.
Odayla has Bear Day - which either means they wont hunt Bear that week or will and sacrafic the first Bear captured to Odayla.
Yinkin has Lover's day, I think during this time as well, asnd as such some of the kill will be given to the Alynxes.

Not to mention that each week has their Issaries Market day, where I imagine the hunters can trade the meat and animals they have captured each week for supplies and silver. So i think there is a lot that a party can do each week.

As far as scoring I think it can go in two different ways. First it can be scored based on how much meat is brought in, maybe by weight. The other way is by how challenging the hunt was for each creature. 

One of my players wanted to bring in Redeye for this... They did not succeed.

• Helpful 1

24 minutes ago, skulldixon said:

The Great Hunt happens over three weeks,

Thanks, yes, it is indeed three weeks

Odayla has Bear Day - which either means they wont hunt Bear that week or will and sacrafic the first Bear captured to Odayla.

Depends on the myth, eh?

So in that first week, its Orlanth's Birthday - a High Holy Day and so some of that Week's hunt could go to the feast for that day.

This is good fodder for the non-hunters back at the base camp!

Not to mention that each week has their Issaries Market day, where I imagine the hunters can trade the meat and animals they have captured each week for supplies and silver. So i think there is a lot that a party can do each week.

Three markets for an enterprising individual. Great call!

As far as scoring I think it can go in two different ways. First it can be scored based on how much meat is brought in, maybe by weight. The other way is by how challenging the hunt was for each creature. 

Griffin Mountain uses a scoring system based on the now unsupported treasure factor system of RQ2. Griffin Mountain and RuneQuest 2 are good things to have, though. Especially Griffin Mountain for hunters.

Don’t see you much in these parts, skulldixon but nice post.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!