Ms Firshala goes to Sartar

Murf

To the learned Scholars of all things Gloranthan.

So way back in the the day we freed Firshala. We sacrificed POW to her to get her "back on her feet". We didn't stay and develop a cult and eventually left for the next horizon. One player dropped out at that time and the story is his character stayed and became her "High Priest".

Now years later the now NPC is returning to Sartar to establish her worship here.

Can her power extend to Sartar or is she strictly regional. If so what with it take to make happen? 

I liked her powers and story and would not mind initialing with her. but I am a high level Orlanth imitate almost a Rune lord or God talker. will this work?

Yes OGMV but what is the canoncial answer?  

• Like 2

Could Firshala's cult operate outside of the Elder Wilds? Probably, since Praxian spirits like Oakfed are worshiped outside of Prax.

Could an Orlanth initiate join that cult as an initiate? I think so, if he's got the Rune Affinity for it; Firshala and Orlanth have never interacted, and so are probably considered Neutral to each other.

Could an Orlanth Rune Lord/Priest/God-Talker do it? I would say no, since IIRC you're not supposed to be dabbling in unrelated spirit cults after making that kind of commitment to a single god.

So IMO your character could become a Firshala initiate as an Orlanth initiate, but that means they can't become a Rune Lord without giving it up.

18 hours ago, Murf said:

So way back in the the day we freed Firshala. We sacrificed POW to her to get her "back on her feet". We didn't stay and develop a cult and eventually left for the next horizon. One player dropped out at that time and the story is his character stayed and became her "High Priest".

What Rune magic are you giving her under RQG rules?

On 8/11/2021 at 9:36 PM, Godlearner said:

Any particular spells or all of them?

Here is her write up from the original Griffin Mountain:

This area appears as a low mound topped by a pair of 4-meter-tall stone plinths made of a bluish, translucent stone with a waxy texture. Unless a Detect Magic spell is cast on the plinths, no examination will reveal any further information concerning the nature or structure of the plinths. However, when a Detect Magic is cast upon the plinths, it will show the otherwise invisible figure of a woman in the region between the plinths. The woman is the physical manifestation of a powerful and benign fire spirit named Firshala. During Godtime she was worshipped to a limited extent, but during the God Wars she was imprisoned between these magical plinths. With the coming of Time, her worshippers have disappeared. Her power and intelligence dropped to their current level. Firshala can be released from her imprisonment by a Dispel Magic 4 cast upon her glowing form. If released, she will gift the releasing character with a small chip of stone from one of the plinths before fading from sight. The gifted character will know that this stone permits him or her to call upon Firshala (as per Divine Intervention, see below) once at any time so long as the stone is still possessed. The gift is not transferable.

Once Firshala is released she will once again wish to be worshipped. The characters who release her will be invited to be among her first worshippers. Firshala is able to provide her Priestesses with all 1 point Rune spells as well as three Daka Fal Ancestor Summoning spells (see below) and the 1 point Summon Small Salamander. She also grants the use of her own 1 point spell, Soulfire, described below. In addition, Firshala’s Divine Intervention functions in an unusual way (again, see below). Firshala’s Runes are Fire and Spirit. She will require 2 points of POW to be sacrificed to her on her cult holy days (to be determined by the referee but her High Holy Day will be the day the characters free her). She has no love for any Water related deity or for the Elven cult of Aldrya. She is not a hater of Darkness cults and has had no first hand experience with things of Chaos. She will suggest to her worshippers that they reduce the cost at which they sell the following spells to their fellow worshippers: Detect Spirit, Disruption, Ignite, Spirit Binding, Firearrow, Fireblade, and Spirit Shield. She will ask that the price on Extinguish be increased. She favors the use of the bow and the spear. At this point, the referee is basically given carte blanche to develop the cult of Firshala as he sees fit. It might even be a good idea to allow the character who frees her to develop the cult.

SOULFIRE 1 POW 80 meters, 15 minutes, non-stackable, reusable This spell must be cast upon one person. For the duration of the spell any Disruption spells cast by the Soulfired person will do 1D3+ 1 damage instead of the normal 1D3. The victim will feel a painful burning sensation instead of the normal wound.

Divine Intervention

This spell may be used to summon the physical presence of the being. A successful divine intervention will cause the spirit of the Firshala to possess the caller. To do this she must first enter into spirit combat with the summoner and if successful will possess the body for up to 15 minutes. During this time the host’s body is possessed as if a shaman’s fetch was taking over his/her body. However, the body takes on the physical attributes of Firshala herself, i.e., the host becomes female, glows slightly bluish and has its characteristics modified to those of the being’s. The host’s spirit finds it’s way to the spirit plane and stays there, to be guarded over by Firshala’s own personal fetch, and may participate in any combat as an allied spirit or fetch. At the end of the 15 minutes, the goddess returns to the spirit plane and the host reoccupies his or her body. However, the spell is not without side effects. The host character must roll under an average of his POW and CON x5% or his body retains the female form of the goddess. Removing such a transformation would take heroic efforts, possibly resulting including a Heroquest back to the time of the God’s War.

Firshala’s Possession STR 2x host’s Move 9 CON +2D6 Average Hit Points 21-22 SIZ Host’s Average Defense 35-40% INT 20 POW 40 DEX 2x host’s CHA 24 flask. Weapon SR Attack Damage Parry Points Any DEX x5% +1D4 DEX x5% SPELLS: All spells known by host (who is used as a sort of allied spirit) plus Heal 6, Countermagic 4, Protection 4, Harmonize, (known by fetch) Dispel Magic 4, Detect Enemies, Detect Spirit, Detect Magic, Detect Life, Disruption. RUNE MAGIC: Absorption, Discorporation, Dismiss Elemental 1, Divination, Divine Intervention, Extension 1, Matrix Creation, Mind Link, Multispell 1, Shield, Spell Teaching, Spirit Block, Warding, Summon Ancestor, Summon Specific Ancestor, Summon Spirit Teacher, Soul Fire, Summon Small Salamander 2. SKILLS: Host’s +20%. LANGUAGES: Has the permanent ability of Mindspeech with all living beings. Also may use host’s language ability. FETCH INT 9 POW 21 SMALL SALAMANDER ONE STR 10 SIZ 3x3x3 meters INT 3 POW 21 Move 6 Hit Points 21 SMALL SALAMANDER TWO STR 11 SIZ 3x3x3 meters INT 6 POW 12 Move 6 Hit Points 18

Soulfire looks like a very handy spell especially when combined with Muli-spell and perhaps Extension. In the RQ3 edition of Griffin Island Soulfire was 1D6.

I have almost no information beyond this if there are other sources available that would be a big help.

6 hours ago, Murf said:

SOULFIRE 1 POW 80 meters, 15 minutes, non-stackable, reusable This spell must be cast upon one person. For the duration of the spell any Disruption spells cast by the Soulfired person will do 1D3+ 1 damage instead of the normal 1D3. The victim will feel a painful burning sensation instead of the normal wound.

In RQ3 I believe it made Disrupts do 2D3.

• Like 1

Soul Fire didn't make it into the Red Book of Magic, unfortunately.

I think that 1D3+1 is reasonable, as we found that 2D3 was too much.

Combined with Multispell, 2D3+2 takes out a normal person's limb, on average, 3D3+3 takes out most people's limbs and 4D3+4 shatters most people's limbs. So, using 5 Rune Points and 4 MPs per round you get to take out one NPC per round, assuming you have a good POW. Not bad at all.

I remember being hit with 4 Multispell III Disrupts and all my limbs just shattered, dead from total hit point loss. It is very effective, more so with Soul Fire.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

18 hours ago, Murf said:

Which do you think would be more appropriate for RQG. Being a player my vote would be 2D3 but I am hardly an expert (or unbiased).

If you cast both Multispell and Soul Fire, it is basically a 2 point Rune spell. As long as you do not allow a 4d3 stacking I think Soul Fire as 2D3 is good. Basically let it add +1D3 to a Disrupt and most people will start casting 2 x 2D3 spells or 3D3, with each additional Multispell giving another 1D3 of stacking or another 2D3 spell. Personally, I think it may be a better result than the 4D3+4 that soltakss suggests.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:06 AM, soltakss said:

Soul Fire didn't make it into the Red Book of Magic, unfortunately.

I think that 1D3+1 is reasonable, as we found that 2D3 was too much.

Combined with Multispell, 2D3+2 takes out a normal person's limb, on average, 3D3+3 takes out most people's limbs and 4D3+4 shatters most people's limbs. So, using 5 Rune Points and 4 MPs per round you get to take out one NPC per round, assuming you have a good POW. Not bad at all.

I remember being hit with 4 Multispell III Disrupts and all my limbs just shattered, dead from total hit point loss. It is very effective, more so with Soul Fire.

Yes very effective but Firshala is limited to 1 Point spells for now. Still 2D3+2 straight through armor will hurt. Specially with a minimum of 4 pts of disruption. 

Really nice for dealing with gooey Gorps and slippery Waktapi.

With a hard Extension 1 limit 2D3 is not to out of wack. Plus all fallow up castings are using sprite magic pts which are more abundant and easier to replace.

I am just surprised such a small cult could have as powerful a spell?

Do you have any myths about her to tie her worship to Dragon pass or can we just make up our own?

11 hours ago, Murf said:

Yes very effective but Firshala is limited to 1 Point spells for now. Still 2D3+2 straight through armor will hurt. Specially with a minimum of 4 pts of disruption. 

Multispell is a 1 point spell.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

12 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Is Soulfire Touch or Self?? Because a Shaman with Spell Barrage would have a bit of fun.

Speaking of shamans, wouldn't she just have a spirit cult, rather than a goddess cult?

I agree that it should be a spirit cult with shamans.  Used with spell barrage, soulfire is a low caliber machinegun, and a good fit for the Hero Wars.