Giants and rune spells

Exsteel

7 minutes ago, Exsteel said:

If a Giant were to cast the Bear's strength rune spell would it double their strength, even if the Giants' strength is higher than a bears?

Yes. Why would anyone teach a giant that spell, though? 

Edited by Jason D

4 hours ago, Exsteel said:

If a Giant were to cast the Bear's strength rune spell would it double their strength, even if the Giants' strength is higher than a bears?

The giant would have to be an initiate or rune master of Odayla, but sure why not? Maybe there are giant bears that are as big to a giant as a bear is to a person...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

The giant would have to be an initiate or rune master of Odayla, but sure why not? Maybe there are giant bears that are as big to a giant as a bear is to a person...

Or of Orlanth Thunderous (RQG p302), or find an initiate (or better) of Odayla or Orlanth that cast it for him (range is touch). I can see a lot of reason for doing this, either for the giant or for an other caster.

1 hour ago, Kloster said:

...or find an initiate (or better) of Odayla or Orlanth that cast it for him (range is touch).

No, the target explicitly needs to be an Odaylan. There's probably a Q&A correction for Thunderous or anyone else that gets it as an associate.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

No, the target explicitly needs to be an Odaylan. There's probably a Q&A correction for Thunderous or anyone else that gets it as an associate.

Ooops, you're right (RQG p319). That means an initiate of Orlanth Thunderous that learns Bear's Strength as a member of an associate cult can only cast it on an Odaylan. Seems strange, and seems a mistake. I can't find any correction on the subject.

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/chaosium/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-players-book-print/cha4028-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-qa-by-chapter/cha4028-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-chapter-14-rune-magic-spells/

Bear’s Strength (page 319)

Change
Last sentence changed to “…Rune Masters of Odayla or an associated cult.”

Part of Second printing corrections.

Unfortunately that amendment didn't make it into RBoM.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kloster said:

So, that means a giant that is a rune master of Orlanth can also cast or receive the casting of Bear's Strength. Ouch.

Any initiate or higher of any associate can be the target, so a Giant initiate of Foundchild or Daka Fal can get it cast on them as well. Plus there's truestone and matrixes.

On the more general subject of associated cult targets, I think it's a shame that Bear's Strength is a special case. It was only made a special case because it is available to Orlanth Thunderous. But the special case allows it to be cast on any associate cult member - Daka Fal, Foundchild, Lady of the Wild, Orlanth, and Yinkin.

I would rather see this, on all such restricted spells:

"...initiate or rune master of X, or an associate cult member that has learned it."

So you want Bear's Strength on you, you have to be in an associate that gets it and learn it. You can't cast it on any Daka Fal worshipper just because it's available to Orlanth Thunderous. If a cult turns up that is an associate of Telmor that gets Wolf Hide, it's already there in the spell description.

That's how I'm going to run it I think.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

And, franky, I have problems when I try to imagine a giant, member of Odayla's cult, taking part to a great hunt. For such a creature, Orlanth Thunderous seems easier, if only for size. They are, after all, the perfect living lightning rod, but would have trouble hiding and stalking.

Giants traditionally have antipathy to the Gods in most, if not all mythologies.  My Glorantha follow that trend.   In this case Bears are tiny creatures, like mice.  So why would a Giant ever worship the Bear god in the first place?  This makes no sense.    Better to be big and powerful.  Ho Ho Hrrrrm.

• Like 3