Project 4: Chronicles of the Future Earth

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any reviews would be welcome.

Buy it. But it now.

I've just finished skim reading it and it's a little gem. It sketches out a setting that has wonderfully evocative echoes of Vance, Wolfe et al without being a simple pastiche and possesses its own distinct feel, leaving great swathes open for the GM or future published material to flesh out. There's a fun scenario, and now I've finished reading it I want to a) run a game in this setting and B) read some more about it.

If any one has had qualms about Chaosium publishing full distribution support for BRP that was as good as that coming from Alephtar, this should definitely placate you. I can't wait to try this out and I'me VERY keen to see the PDF adventure for CoFE Dustin has (project 9).

Cheers,

Nick

Various reasons. It seems a little too incomplete. Also, it has chaos incursions, and I recently turned down at least two other games because they centered around that theme, the new Elric and Deathwatch. (I'm burned out on chaos etc. due to much, much running of Stormbringer). I guess I was hoping for more of a Dying Earth vibe without the 'Urth' dying or being overwhelmed by Chaos in the near future. Or something.

As far as it goes, I guess I can recommend it to others (as an addendum) because I can't find fault with it...except for the feeling of incompleteness. Otherwise the review is pretty much spot on. It's just not for me right now, and I am not hooked enough to be waiting for more supplements to further expand the setting. I would prefer to continue developing my own setting rather than trying to fill out gaps in someone elses. So its off to Noble Knight for trade in my case.

So, I can't agree from my present circumstances and tastes, to clarify.

I just got my copy yesterday, and I have to rank this gem up there with the Corum supplement for sheer cool. I, too, find its brevity refreshing (as I eye my groaning and compulsively collected Dark Heresy material) -- there's just enough there to get my wheels turning, and not too much where it feels like I'm sipping from a fire hose. I guess what I'm saying is that I appreciate the "old school" blank spots on the proverbial map. I feel like game lines these days tend to be giant tomes with endless setting supplements. CoFE reminds me of gaming as a kid where you took an author's idea then spun out a million of your own ideas in your game from it.

So, yeah, a big part of my thumbs up is nostalgia, but I think this book is really well-done on its own merits. (Flame lances -- awesome). As for the presence of Chaos, my old school o'meter rates that high, but my reading was colored by the Cousins of Man trope. In other words, when I run this, I plan to have Chaos = genetic mutation!

Anyway, well done book. It's rare these days to get my hands on a supplement, especially one so modestly-priced, and be totally wowed by it.