Are broos people???

icebrand

37 minutes ago, icebrand said:

I guess I either can't read or i am completely unreasonable.

She was a victim, sure. Past tense. When you commit crimes against humanity on a world scale, your victim status kinda sorta stops mattering? 

No it doesn't. Nobody has said that it does. In fact Ron's analysis wouldn't make any sense or be as compelling as it is if that were the case. You don't stop being a victim either though.

37 minutes ago, icebrand said:

Or what's the alternative? Poor little thed, she got assaulted! Let her destroy the world with rape chaos murder and cannibalism, poor little thed! 

Nobody is saying that either, or anything like it, or that can be reasonably interpreted that way. I can't for the life of me understand why you think anyone is.

There are many issues the myth highlights. It is possible for victims to be victimisers. There must be more to justice than retribution. What is the relationship between rights and responsibilities, and much, much more. These are incredibly hard questions, and I certainly, and Ron Edwards in his essay, are not making simplistic one sided pronouncements of the kind you're suggesting.

So who is it that's posting these opinions you're so upset about? Where are these posts and opinions?

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

On 11/25/2021 at 7:18 AM, icebrand said:

Hi guys, just had an argument on reddit...  For me Broo are "creatures of chaos" but some people seem to think they are persons instead.  My line of reasoning is that you don't commit war crimes on people, but it's fair game with broos and similar stuff. What do you guys think?

Yes, Broos are 'people', but they are disgustingly evil 'people'.  Broos are outside the natural cycles of Glorantha.  They are in the world, but not of it, in the worst possible way.  They are an introduced species that is actively despoiling everything.  Broos procreate through violent rape and bestiality that ends in the death of their victim when they give birth.  They think that atrocity and war crimes are laudable and entertaining acts that bring the end of the world closer.  Is it okay to perform genocide on a genocidal enemy?  That is just tit-for-tat, really , isn't it?  If your god demands honorable behavior then you owe broos nothing more than a quick death.  Of course Lunars don't see it this way...

Queue advertisment:

Lunar priestess approaches the screen holding the hands of a 3 and a half foot tall ram-horned penis with eyes, bouncing on its testes.  She intones:

"This is little Thrudmuck. He is just one of the thousands of orphaned baby broos destined for a terrible life of violence, ignorance, starvation, and death through no crime of his own.  But for only 1 clack per week on top of your weekly donation to the Seven Mothers, you can make a difference.  Your donation will help little broos like Thrudmuck get regular meals, an education, a safe place to sleep, and become valuable members of Lunar society.  Won't you make a difference in Thrudmuck's life today?"

The priestess then lovingly kisses the little chaos monster on the head.  They smile and wave. 

Fade to next advertisement.

• Like 1

Attempting to return to the original question....

I think they are people and I think Windchild has it nailed down by pointing out they have INT ( or free INT under old RQ rules ). That makes  them sentient and that in my book makes them people.

They might be be disgusting, horrible people who pose a  deadly threat...but people none the less.

Edited by Agentorange
typo
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

Attempting to return to the original question....

I think they are people and I think Windchild has it nailed down by pointing out they have INT ( or free INT under old RQ rules ). That makes  them sentient and that in my book makes them people.

They might be be digusting, horrible people who pose a  deadly threat...but people none the less.

Yes. Even feral broo are sentient. Disgusting, with rarely a higher goal than survival and propagation, but still sentient. And they are capable of being more than they are.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• MOB locked this topic