Damaging Natural Weapons With a Parry

Ryan Kent

1 hour ago, Rob Darvall said:

Yes Bladesharp will cut you if you fuck up. The mechanism is there in the rules. And it works well. 

I think this is the important bit - it's not that you can't get hurt when you parry unarmed, of course you can, even on a success - it's just that it's not always as bad as being hit outright.

Edited by Akhôrahil

1 hour ago, Rob Darvall said:

But a natural weapon parry is still better than no parry at all

Agreed.  But, seriously, how often are your PCs getting struck while they carry no weapons or shields?  That seems, well, seriously unhealthy.  Worry about that, not any rules issues about parrying with natural weapons.

BTW, we have drifted, as most of these threads do, 180 degrees off the original topic, which was parrying natural weapons with a real weapon.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Agreed.  But, seriously, how often are your PCs getting struck while they carry no weapons or shields?  That seems, well, seriously unhealthy.  Worry about that, not any rules issues about parrying with natural weapons.

Whenever they cllimb, swim, or move in social circumstances that require them to show up unarmed, like in a public bath

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

10 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

BTW, we have drifted, as most of these threads do, 180 degrees off the original topic, which was parrying natural weapons with a real weapon.  🙂

Slight exaggeration.  Rarely are we so precise!  And by the time we reach 270 degrees OT, it'll be a lot like being only 90 degrees away again!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Whenever they cllimb, swim, or move in social circumstances that require them to show up unarmed, like in a public bath

Not speaking of the disarm and broken weapons, shields with a weapon stucked in, escaped prisoners, and a lot of other circumstances.

6 hours ago, Joerg said:

Whenever they climb, swim, or move in social circumstances that require them to show up unarmed, like in a public bath

Why not just use the Dodge skill here?  Seems the perfect fit??

4 hours ago, Kloster said:

Not speaking of the disarm and broken weapons, shields with a weapon stuck in, escaped prisoners, and a lot of other circumstances.

Again, Dodge.  Or parry with the weapon / shield in the other arm.

28 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Just because Dodge default is DEXx2% + agility (which is not often above +5%) - 1% per ENC (up to carrying capacity) - 5% per ENC (above carrying capacity),  and fist is 25 % + manipulation (which is often +10%), because attack and parry are same skill. In my character's case, that means 25% dodge (2*14+10-13) and 40% fist (25+15), and the 15% difference is life saving. In addition, if the attack is a special, the dodge must also be a special to succeed, not the parry.

Edited by Kloster
calculation error

21 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I tend to hesitate to allow Dodge when not standing up, or might give a hefty negative modifier for such a situation. In order to be able to move out of the way of an attack there has to be space to move into, and the ability to do so.

Otherwise, what @Klostersaid about the numbers game. Also, a barely successful parry will reduce special and even critical damage to the targeted hit location, and in 90% of all cases that damage will go to a different hit location.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

22 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Again, Dodge.  Or parry with the weapon / shield in the other arm.

Ditto for dodge. The parry with shield/2nd weapon is what I do usually (meaning when I can), but does not remove the remarks on baths, escaped prisoners, weapon stuck in shields, disarmed characters, broken weapons, ... .

1 hour ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

So, you are power gaming mini-maxing over 15% differences, and then complain about the rules.

No, but my character has only base chance on those 2 skills and I prefer having 40% success and risking to loose my arm than having 25% and risking loosing my life. This is not power gaming but survival matters, and I am not complaining on those specific rules: In fact, they have not changed since years (identical rules in RQ3) and I like them since I play RQ3 (RQ2 had no dodge, so does not count).

1 hour ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

No need for me to continue this discussion.

Your choice.

11 minutes ago, Rob Darvall said:

Cheaper too. 6MP that restore overnight vs full on resurrection costs. 

Correct, but I didn't added that because I prefer not being dead, even if resurrection is available: 75% of being dead is a bit risky, and I just prefer 60% of loosing even my right arm.

• Like 1