Longest continuous game?

Atlantean

4 hours ago, Atlantean said:

Is there a blog site or record of longest running RuneQuest game?

I don't know for sure, but I have a friend who has been playing in the same game for about 15 years. His father started GMing this campaign with my friend, his brother, and a few friends when they were starting high school. Same characters, too.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

31 minutes ago, Crel said:

I don't know for sure, but I have a friend who has been playing in the same game for about 15 years. His father started GMing this campaign with my friend, his brother, and a few friends when they were starting high school. Same characters, too.

That is absolutely fantastic! Do you know if they blog session reports or considered doing so? 

1 hour ago, Crel said:

They beat me. Our's is 'only' 13 years old, and just to answer, there is no recording, nor blog.

• Like 1

My original campaign ran 10 years (1987-97).  No recordings or blogs, though pieces went into my short-lived fanzine, New Lolon Gospel. 

My current HQG campaign (Orlmarth) has been running since 2014.  It's play-by-post, so the entire thread exists.  Has included a transposed Harvest Bride (from Sun County), varied community events to address the loss of Orane (from HQG book), a quest to Hell to rescue Orane (expanded from HQG book scenario), the Clearwine Feast of Flamal and now the Red Hands of Hofstaring (from Sartar Kingdom of Heroes).

My longest running RQG game (Colymar) has been going since mid-2017 starting with the Quickstart, going through some custom events, and now working on the Smoking Ruins.  Also play-by-post, and again whole thread exists.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

My original campaign ran 10 years (1987-97).  No recordings or blogs, though pieces went into my short-lived fanzine, New Lolon Gospel. 

My current HQG campaign (Orlmarth) has been running since 2014.  It's play-by-post, so the entire thread exists.  Has included a transposed Harvest Bride (from Sun County), varied community events to address the loss of Orane (from HQG book), a quest to Hell to rescue Orane (expanded from HQG book scenario), the Clearwine Feast of Flamal and now the Red Hands of Hofstaring (from Sartar Kingdom of Heroes).

My longest running RQG game (Colymar) has been going since mid-2017 starting with the Quickstart, going through some custom events, and now working on the Smoking Ruins.  Also play-by-post, and again whole thread exists.

How often do you meet for gaming sessions? Do you track 1:1 time when not in session?

2 hours ago, Atlantean said:

How often do you meet for gaming sessions? Do you track 1:1 time when not in session?

Play-by-post (aka play-by-forum or PbF) is a very different style of play.  There are no meetings or sessions - instead, it's a continuous stream on a forum (we use RPGGeek) with posts made back-and-forth.  As a GM I'll make a post, players respond, I respond to those and keep the story progressing (typically with posts occurring around every other day at present).  A scenario or "session" may well take 3-6 months to complete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Play-by-post (aka play-by-forum or PbF) is a very different style of play.  There are no meetings or sessions - instead, it's a continuous stream on a forum (we use RPGGeek) with posts made back-and-forth.  As a GM I'll make a post, players respond, I respond to those and keep the story progressing (typically with posts occurring around every other day at present).  A scenario or "session" may well take 3-6 months to complete.

Good point. My RQ game has been in person for two years now but am adding in an online component on Roll20. I have been in an ACKS game as a player for a little over two years which has been Roll20 sessions and pbp during a very active downtime. I am hoping to bring that to the RQ Roll20 game so that we will have 2-3 contemporaneous bands of PC’s wandering about.

12 hours ago, Atlantean said:

That is absolutely fantastic! Do you know if they blog session reports or considered doing so? 

They might have a personal record somewhere, but I don't think so. I've heard a number of stories, but I think it's mostly oral. There's no public description of the game, as far as I know.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Our last campaign ran from 2006 to 2020, I think, so 14 years. We didn't have a blog, though.

One of the things I have learned from my return to the d20 crowd is that blogging about the game increases engagement and allows folks to share best practices. This is a blog from the ACKS game in which I am currently playing https://bdubsanddragons.blogspot.com/2022/03/dubzaron-session-46-nine-thousand.html

This is the blog from my current RQ game (set in Bronze Age Wales)

https://bronzeagewales.blogspot.com/

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 1:43 PM, Crel said:

For what it's worth, we started when my sons were... I think around 9 and 10?  IIRC the first little 'test play' we did was a couple of farm kids who thought going out with spears would be enough to deal with a pack of hungry wolves...3?.  They died, as expected.*  Then we made their 'real' characters with the kid from across the alley.

*to be clear, the intent wasn't sadism.  In RQ death is always a real possibility (unlike their experience in video games and honestly, D&D) and at their ages I wanted to insulate them against it being too traumatic.

At some vague point this year that will make it 20 years of more-or-less every other weekend, 6-8 hour sessions.  We've occasionally taken short hiatus, most recently 2-3 sessions playing Traveller, and for close to a year they played an alternate set of RQ characters that were newbies again, but we're going back to RQ after the next session.

And no, unfortunately nothing has ever been blogged/vlogged about it.  I started RPGs in 1979 so it was never really something I considered, to say nothing of the fact they were minors for the first several years.  Although I will say that our sons relating "you won't believe what happened this session" has reduced my wife to laughing tears repeatedly.  And none of the players now are writers at all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I still running a campaign that I started to start some friends into the runequest system at the beginning of the pandemic.
It goes without saying that we are still playing to this day, although they have been trapped in the underworld for a few months now doing a heroquest...
Soo... 3-4 years ?