BRP Interplanetary

Jason D

By "clothes", of course, I mean my bejeweled Martian battle-harness with concealed clasp-knife.

This could be fun, I can get your picture from your blog, now if I only knew how to use photo shop. >:->

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I think we would all be happier if that remained in the realm of hypothetical, instead of the actual.

Not all.

I'd love to see threedeesix put together just such an image.

In the interest of accuracy, is your belly button an in-y or an out-y?

Help kill a Trollkin here.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a Jason Durall in his Martian battle harness and striking fearsome poses, turned up in a video on Youtube. Whether such a video actually existed or not has nothing to do with it.

This is the Internet after all.

Sorry, I meant: any projected release date?:o

Nope.

Chaosium asked for the manuscript to be complete by August 1st. Barring calamity, it certainly will be.

After that, it's got to go through editing, proofreading, art must be assigned, and a cover commissioned. Then it's into layout, final proofreading, and the print process which can take a month or two.

Given that Chaosium's a small company, and that they're also supporting Call of Cthulhu, and will have at least another half-dozen projects in the works at the time... it's way to early to propose a release date.

Given, also, that BRP was absolutely supposed to ship in late 2006, then summer 2007, then end of year, then first quarter 2008... I think it's a great idea to not announce a release date until it's known.

(Call of Cthulhu fans can pipe in with similar anecdotes about Pulp Cthulhu...)

Nope.

Chaosium asked for the manuscript to be complete by August 1st. Barring calamity, it certainly will be.

After that, it's got to go through editing, proofreading, art must be assigned, and a cover commissioned. Then it's into layout, final proofreading, and the print process which can take a month or two.

Given that Chaosium's a small company, and that they're also supporting Call of Cthulhu, and will have at least another half-dozen projects in the works at the time... it's way to early to propose a release date.

Given, also, that BRP was absolutely supposed to ship in late 2006, then summer 2007, then end of year, then first quarter 2008... I think it's a great idea to not announce a release date until it's known.

(Call of Cthulhu fans can pipe in with similar anecdotes about Pulp Cthulhu...)

It's surprising how much I'm learning about the rpg industry through this forum.:lol:

I'm interested in Pulp Cthulhu. Is that released?

It's surprising how much I'm learning about the rpg industry through this forum.:lol:

I try to be as helpful as possible, though sometimes I admit I can get a little snippy when I'm psychologically "finished" with a topic that someone keeps asking about. (Interplanetary I can talk all day about...)

I'm interested in Pulp Cthulhu. Is that released?

Pulp Cthulhu was ironically something I was offered to work on (as part of a team) during the initial writing of a huge Eternal Champion book before BRP. This was mid-2003, I think.

I said "When I finish the EC book, I'd love to contribute", but the editor said "That'll be too late." So I didn't get to work on it.

The EC book got cancelled when it became clear that sales for the Stormbringer line weren't strong enough to justify it. Then I jumped over to BRP, as Pulp Cthulhu was supposedly nearly done.

According to the latest R'lyeh Report:

PULP CTHULHU: Reckless adventures in the 1930’s. This sourcebook for Call of Cthulhu is nearly completed. We’re gathering up the last bits of interior art in preparation of final layout. I anticipate we’ll have copies of this book available at good old Gen Con! (#23107 $24.95) Expected August

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you're aware of this game:En Garde!

But since there seems to be a lot of swashbuckling in Planetary Romance. I just thought I'd pass on the info. as it seems to have some social climbing mechanics you might be interested in. And even a system for dueling that might be able to be adapted to BRP.

There's even an online game using the En Garde! game engine called Warriors of Mars that takes place on Barsoom.

I'm thinking of buying the game to convert to BRP for my Three Musketeers meets "Dawn of the Dead" setting that I'm kicking around.:)

Guest Vile Traveller

I don't know if you're aware of this game:En Garde!

Wow, that's amazing - and heartening! I had no idea En Garde! ws still around. It's nice to see these old seventies stalwarts passing the test of time.

Unlike most players I know, I have to say ... :P

Wow, that's amazing - and heartening! I had no idea En Garde! ws still around. It's nice to see these old seventies stalwarts passing the test of time.

Unlike most players I know, I have to say ... :P

I only found out about this game like 5 days ago. I'm kind of into swashbuckling right now, and the price of this game seems just right. If you are into swashbuckling too, check out this game:RPGNow.com - The leading source for indie RPGs which I'm going to print out soon (the core rule book) and convert to BRP--which will be easy, since it actually is a modified form of BRP.

Btw, can you tell me more about En Garde!?

En Garde could best be described as a "grand strategic" rpg. Instead of deciding what your character does in the next 15 second combat turn you decide how he will spend his time for the next week - will he visit his mistress or will he go on campaign with his regiment? What the game really is is an engine for setting up conflict between the PCs. The conflict is resolved in a duel using the a matrix driven set of fencing rules.

Actually a pretty cool game that I have not played in years. The rules were a bit opaque (standard for 70s GDW) but once you had them sorted out could be good fun. Great for PBM or a couple turns a week at a game club.

En Garde could best be described as a "grand strategic" rpg. Instead of deciding what your character does in the next 15 second combat turn you decide how he will spend his time for the next week - will he visit his mistress or will he go on campaign with his regiment? What the game really is is an engine for setting up conflict between the PCs. The conflict is resolved in a duel using the a matrix driven set of fencing rules.

Actually a pretty cool game that I have not played in years. The rules were a bit opaque (standard for 70s GDW) but once you had them sorted out could be good fun. Great for PBM or a couple turns a week at a game club.

Thank you for your reply. That sounds like a very interesting game. Could the fencing matrix be adapted to BRP easily?

Could [En Garde's] fencing matrix be adapted to BRP easily?
In my opinion, no. The trick to fencing in En Garde is really a matter of strategy and resource allocation -- there's no room for the die-rolled resolution of BRP (or most any other RPG for that matter). I've tinkered with the idea myself before, but never came up with anything satisfactory that worked better, or even as well, as the system contained in En Garde itself.

Now, what you could do, is graft BRP onto En Garde to handle skills other than fencing, but once you have a look at games like Vatican En Garde, you'll see that EG can handle social skills neatly, too.

If you're really in a mood to swashbuckle with BRP, I'd strongly suggest digging up a copy of GURPS: Swashbucklers and adapting Stephen O'Sullivan's tasty fencing schools to d100.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

In my opinion, no. The trick to fencing in En Garde is really a matter of strategy and resource allocation -- there's no room for the die-rolled resolution of BRP (or most any other RPG for that matter). I've tinkered with the idea myself before, but never came up with anything satisfactory that worked better, or even as well, as the system contained in En Garde itself.

Now, what you could do, is graft BRP onto En Garde to handle skills other than fencing, but once you have a look at games like Vatican En Garde, you'll see that EG can handle social skills neatly, too.

If you're really in a mood to swashbuckle with BRP, I'd strongly suggest digging up a copy of GURPS: Swashbucklers and adapting Stephen O'Sullivan's tasty fencing schools to d100.

!i!

Thank you. I will check into GURPS: Swashbucklers. It looks like the person who wrote that book is also the person who invented the FUDGE role-playing system.

:focus:

Could the fencing matrix be adapted to BRP easily?

Well, yes it can be adapted - but not very easily. What I think you need is a system combining the EnGarde matrix with percentile-rolls and their special/critical/fumble effects. It's good fun but so complex it needs a computer program to sort it out.

Here's my attempt: OnGarde! OnLine EnGarde Combat Script

Anyone interested in running it - select your opponents by the pop-downs, then click both the "?" buttons (to generate random sequences, unless you want to specify your own...), then click "Start". It can be amusing to see the action described. To continue after round one, click the "?"s again to top-up the sequences, and "Start" again. To re-start, Refresh the screen.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Well, yes it can be adapted - but not very easily. What I think you need is a system combining the EnGarde matrix with percentile-rolls and their special/critical/fumble effects. It's good fun but so complex it needs a computer program to sort it out.

Here's my attempt: OnGarde! OnLine EnGarde Combat Script

Anyone interested in running it - select your opponents by the pop-downs, then click both the "?" buttons (to generate random sequences, unless you want to specify your own...), then click "Start". It can be amusing to see the action described. To continue after round one, click the "?"s again to top-up the sequences, and "Start" again. To re-start, Refresh the screen.

Sorry to say this, but nothing is really happening. I'm not on my usual computer, so i don't know if it's a problem with this computer or what (it's running Windows 98).

However, I did order the role playing game. I can't wait to see what that's like.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason. How's Interplanetary coming along?:)

It's coming along well enough - a couple of speed bumps in June and early July have caused me to ask for an extension to turn it at the end of August instead.

My schedule has opened up immensely, though, and I'm going to see about finishing it before then if at all possible.