Hoolar

Erol of Backford

It had three faces, three legs, and four arms. It was also laughing with a loud, low voice. We recognized it as a hoolar. Hoolars are supposed to be the first intelligent beings that Lodril and Eurmal tried to create. Now they are extremely rare. Immortal but not Chaotic, they are known for their skills at the forge.

Gorgops (small city): This city on an island in the Mabyla delta is surrounded by high cyclopean stone walls built by hoolars during the Second Age as part of a now-forgotten bargain.

• Huge, half-legendary beings in Pamaltela.

• They were the first of the Created Races of Pamaltela.

• They were made using Yanmorla's clay and the heat of the Bomonoi

• But they did not have much in the way of minds.

• They possess three faces, two legs and four arms, and are fantastically strong (though peaceful), though not too bright.

• They can make enchanted objects.

• They can be found anywhere in Pamaltela except in the marshes, but are so rare that generations may pass without a single sighting.

• They built the city of Gorgops in the Imperial Age

Any written stats someone might link?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

But they did not have much in the way of minds.

If they are so dim, how come they are master smiths, can make enchanted objects, and can build cities? Maybe — like the Cyclopes (from manufacturers of thunderbolts to idiot shepherds) — someone has been giving them a bum rap.

——————————————————————

They seem to be statted in Mongoose Monsters II, but I am betting that if you have the Petersen campaign document, you already know that. I don’t have a copy, I am afraid.

Edited by mfbrandi
useless stat source
  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

7 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

If they are so dim, how come they are master smiths, can make enchanted objects, and can build cities?

They would be savants, inheriting just the skill of their maker and an overwhelming creative urge they must act upon. Probably without much control over those urges, possibly unable to alter even the slightest detail from their inspiration, possibly pausing to watch a tree grow into just the right shape for their project. Woe to those who happen to have just the right eye for their project, although the Hoolar might just choose to accompany that person and watch over the safety of that eye waiting for the person to agree to pass it on...

7 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Maybe — like the Cyclopes (from manufacturers of thunderbolts to idiot shepherds) — someone has been giving them a bum rap.

The Hoolars bring a Green Age naivety to their manufacturing, too - what works for them won't work for anyone else, with details other manufacturers would have to sweat over ignored without affecting the outcome.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

13 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

But they did not have much in the way of minds.

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

They would be savants

Whatever may be true of hoolars, I think it would be unfair to say of real life savants that they do not have much in the way of minds. (Not that I am accusing Joerg of saying that, of course.) Some of them are doubtless a lot smarter than I am — though I do appreciate that that is not setting the bar very high.

Of hoolars, perhaps we could say that they are alien, distractable, and have some trouble communicating with humans (and similar creatures). Mightn’t that be enough to save the phenomena?

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

3 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Whatever may be true of hoolars, I think it would be unfair to say of real life savants that they do not have much in the way of minds. (Not that I am accusing Joerg of saying that, of course.)

I will admit that I was projecting some personal quirks of mine on both Hoolars and Cyclopses that might be shared with people in the autistic spectrum.

3 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Of hoolars, perhaps we could say that they are alien, distractable, and have some trouble communicating with humans (and similar creatures). Mightn’t that be enough to save the phenomena?

Of course Hoolar are alien, they retain a Green Age perspective.

Are they distractable? Yes, as long as it doesn't affect their core priorities.

Do they have problems communicating? Yes, in that their context and that of their conversation partners will be quite different. Do Hoolars speak a dialect of Firespeech?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

9 hours ago, Joerg said:

Do Hoolars speak a dialect of Firespeech?

If so all the better reason for a Lodrilian or Yelmali to be an armorer/blacksmith/leather worker in case they happen upon a Hoolar and wish to be an apprentice? Keep the food and metal coming...

Maybe they would be able to determine if Piku had any distant relation to Hoolar's (are any in Genertela?) and or even quest/hero quest for an actual 3rd eye? How could that be related to the 3 faces?

(Wait wouldn't come off as being chaotic!?) Baboon, wizard, nice guy in a pub (sorry first thing I thought of was cover of Thieves' World...)

I suppose if PC's were in a heap of trouble the south continent is a good distance away to escape to. Also there must be a wizard who looks like Dr. Strange in the south!

How do Hoolars, blacksmiths, wizards with a 3rd eye (God Learners?) and Piku relate...

image.png.070e8272716b017e02797852a5417b50.png image.png.bd96a233771bef2a4789cd8220d61f13.png image.png.eaa80e8b481c2a216e07df71beaa973f.png

Edited by Erol of Backford

The god named Pamalt had seen the Bomonoi,
and he had also seen the men that had been created in the
north, and he had the idea to create his own race of men
who could survive the heat of the land.

So, Pamalt gathered some of Yanmorla’s clay and tall
made bodies out of it, with four legs each. He then
convinced the Bomonoi to give up some of their heat to the
bodies. The bodies came to life, but they did not have much
in the way of minds; the Heat of Life was not there. Pamalt
called them the hoolar.

For a long time Pamalt thought. He wondered why the
hoolar were mindless. He decided that too little heat had
been used in their creation.

Revealed Mythologies p45

Varchep (small city): This city is defended
by cyclopean walls and is surrounded by
vineyards and good pastureland. It was
founded by an eponymous Second Age hero,
who tricked a three-headed giant into building
walls to protect his followers and livestock
from a band of Nightstalkers which haunted
this region.

Guide p641

Zirta (small city): One of the older
settlements, this port city was founded by the
hero Abbak, who came over the oceans on a
dragon and then defeated the three-headed
giant who lived here. His stone tomb is in the
Abbak Hills north of the city.

Guide p641

1152681275_2022-10-1318_38_44.thumb.jpg.f85f8861ba7cda1f57cc50b860a67e78.jpg2133110556_2022-10-1318_38_36.thumb.jpg.06fb2d27ba39e00317aa833e68ea901a.jpg1101754360_2022-10-1318_38_48.thumb.jpg.d60a8ac8e4723239c5283bb5286a695d.jpg

Edited by Scotty
resized images
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Didn't realize they'd be in old beast book, somehow the illustration makes me think they are a small shrub not some 16' small giant with 4 arms!? Thanks!

All the Gloranthan bestiaries have their indexes on the well: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/?s=Hoolar

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

One source say 5 meters so I estimated 16' however the Monsters II book says huge... 6d6+14!

image.png.facfd6d3cb21609f7c71d2c5ca3aa1db.png

Mongoose isn't a "source" but someone's interpretation.  In any event, they are missing the Hoolars are otherworldly creatures whose size is dependent on dramatic necessity but always bigger than you.  They can be as big as mountains if need be.

• Like 4