Preferred Enchantment conditions

whitelaughter

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Get a spirit to cast the Binding. The binding spirit is essentially immortal.

no :

The bound entities are bound to the physical world by the life force of the binder. If the binder dies, all their bound entities are immediately freed.

spirit has no life force, so is not able to bind to the physical world

in my opinion, it is easier to consider that :

1) the majority of bound entities are bound by "standard" enchanters and when the binder dies, we can say good by to the spirit (however, the enchantment is still here, able to welcomme another spirit)

2) but we are in a world where oath and loyalty exist and have value, sometimes cursed value. So there is no reason to not, by bargain, whorship or anything, that a spirit is not bound by itself and its words to stay in the place. That is not a condition of enchantment, that is a relationship between people and spirits. "You pay (with your mp / pow) me and I serve you". "I swore your ancestors before I was destroyed, then I will serve you until the end of your community", etc...

3) and we are in a world where heroquesting exists and provide exceptional stuff. So there is no reason to not obtain a specific item or a specific transformation that force the spirit (or any entity) to stay bound, even when the binder dies. Of course a nice GM or even player may find some "escape" option (if there is no wearer for a long time, if the wearer breaks an oath the first heroquestor made in exchange, etc..

Of course 2 and 3 are rare, of course it is for big spirit. not a small ridiculous 1d6 salamander, there are priests or equivalent paid to "reload" these kind of spirits !

On 2/12/2023 at 8:09 PM, kr0p0s said:

Could a user condition be: an individual chosen as worthy by the clan/ tribe/temple wyter. Once the current weilder dies the item, if retrieved, returns to the abode of the wyter and another worthy is selected. This could lead to some role-playing completion of tasks or a contest.

The roleplaying potential of this is considerable. I approve.

On 2/13/2023 at 7:57 AM, Squaredeal Sten said:

So far among my players, very few conditions.  Enchantments suck up POW, and my players struggle for every point of POW.

I'm hesitant to suggest this, given how easy it should be to gain POW, but if POW is in short supply then other enchanters are going to think that it is more cost effective to put a condition on one of the PC's enchantments than to create their own enchantments.

5 hours ago, Joerg said:

Get a spirit to cast the Binding. The binding spirit is essentially immortal.

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

While that may be the case, technically, there's been big arguments in other threads about whether someone can be forced to contribute POW to enchantments.

Binding doesn't take POW. Creating the enchantment takes POW, but binding something into it does not. You can also bind into a crystal which takes no POW.

Apologies for the topic drift.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

While that may be the case, technically, there's been big arguments in other threads about whether someone can be forced to contribute POW to enchantments. I see no reason for the same to not apply to spirits. (of course, it may be that the spirit is more than willing, but how likely is that to be?)

To clarify: There is nothing in the rules suggesting that a Binding Enchantment disappears at the death of the maker. What dissipates is the spell that sent the spirit into the Binding, whether an enchantment or a dead crystal. What I suggest is that this spell would be cast by the spirit, all the rest provided by mortals. Rules exploit achieved.

5 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

spirit has no life force, so is not able to bind to the physical world

Weird. They generate MP with their POW while in the physical world but don't have life force? The spirit world is alive and vibrant (in most places), and spirits inhabiting places etc. have life force, too. Nymphs are able to give birth to a vast range of beings.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

50 minutes ago, Joerg said:

To clarify: There is nothing in the rules suggesting that a Binding Enchantment disappears at the death of the maker.

agree

51 minutes ago, Joerg said:

What dissipates is the spell that sent the spirit into the Binding, whether an enchantment or a dead crystal.

agree

54 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Weird. They generate MP with their POW while in the physical world but don't have life force? The spirit world is alive and vibrant (in most places), and spirits inhabiting places etc. have life force, too. Nymphs are able to give birth to a vast range of beings

Ghosts have POW... Are ghosts alive ?

Scotty answered in the second sight post :

On 2/11/2023 at 10:25 AM, Scotty said:

Those that have POW and a physical form are living beings

so yes a nymph with a physical form is a living being and then can give birth, but without this form, how could she have a baby ?

Nymphs are "singularities" they can choose to be living being or spirit (don't know what happens when you "kill" a nymph when she has a form, will she go for a time in the death world before coming back ? will a new one instance come ?).

15 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

They aren't anathema to Humakti, although the Humakti will aid non-voluntary ghosts to pass onward.

15 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Scotty answered in the second sight post :

so yes a nymph with a physical form is a living being and then can give birth, but without this form, how could she have a baby ?

Nymphs are "singularities" they can choose to be living being or spirit (don't know what happens when you "kill" a nymph when she has a form, will she go for a time in the death world before coming back ? will a new one instance come ?).

Nymphs are rather powerful spirit beings that have a physical form most of the time. There are lesser spirits with similar much-physical presence in my Glorantha, like the household tomte (a Scandinavian kobold described in RQ3 Vikings) or spirit(or divine)  beasts able to turn into a puff of wind or to merge with the ground.

My Glorantha also has plant spirits that may be discorporate. The Praxian spirit vegetation digested by the herd children of Eiritha is similar (IIRC Scotty told us about that in our second Nomad Gods episode on The Godlearners).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Joerg said:
23 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

They aren't anathema to Humakti, although the Humakti will aid non-voluntary ghosts to pass onward.

They aren't Undead, and Humakt grants Bind Ghost as a Runespell.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here