Fear Rules

tectuctitlay

Thanks for pointing that out... I downloaded issue 2, but never got around to actually READING it, haha. I was actually looking for something along the lines of a standard die roll though (I'm trying to avoid including any extra point-pools for the player/GM to keep track of). I was thinking about just converting the rules over from GURPS, but I'm not seeing a mechanic that covers willpower rolls either (am I missing something there BTW?).

Edited by tectuctitlay

Hi guys,

Generally I'd use POW in some way, if you want to keep the rules uncluttered. So, either a POW x 5 roll if someone is resisting a "normal" but fear-inducing situation, reducing the multiplier if the source of the fear is more supernatural. (Essentially this is kind of a SAN roll without calling it such.)

You *could* make it an opposed or resistance roll. For example, a ghost attacks you POW vs POW - that's actually you resisting the terror the ghost inspires. If it succeeds, you lose MP or suffer another penalty.

Personally I like Personality Traits for this kind of thing. Say, you have a "Brave" trait at 70% - you're renowned for your bravery. Then, you can use that to resist pretty much any kind of fear, even if you'd normally (ie without the trait) be looking at a POW x 1 for facing something very scary. Also, you could then use the Complimentary Skill rules to augment another skill - say, if you're trying to fight a scary monster, you could augment your attack skill with 20% of your Brave trait, etc.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I seem to remember that the Ravenloft Fear rules could be easily adapted to BRP. It's been a while since I've read Ravenloft but I seem to remember someone suggesting those rules for use with BRP. Google did not find what I was looking for, but it unearthed an old post of mine that I had forgotten, stating Strahd for BRP. I know it's totally off topic, but I thought I'd share.

70/420

Yeah, sort of like the Fear Spirits in RQIII. They'd attack your POW with theirs, and if they win, you're essentially under the effect of a "Demoralize" spell until you can get someone to exorcise you. Or something like that. Been a while since I looked at it.

Also, glad you guys like the Stress rules from UW2. Those were fun to write, and I hope they get some use by the community.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

These are my combat morale rules:

- Characters have morale points equal to POW x 3.

- When a character takes damage they lose an equal number of morale points.

- When an ally they can see takes damage, they lose morale points equal to half the damage the ally took.

- At the beginning of a turn, they lose morale points equal to the number of enemies they have within 5 meters of them.

- At the end of a turn, they gain morale points equal to the number of allies they have within 5 meters of them.

- When they inflict damage on an enemy, they gain morale points equal to half the damage they dealt.

- If they run out of morale points, they have to flee.

- They go back to full morale between fights.