Ostrich Riders and Yelmalio

Qizilbashwoman

29 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Yep. At this point I think I’ve pretty thoroughly explained this. I’m happy to talk about how the Yelmalio cult functions, it’s role in South Peloria but I have no interest in going round and round in circles with people who want a different answer.

on that note, what do you think about the Ostrich people's version of Yelmalio? I'm interested in this unusual variant! Is it perhaps Yelorna and Yelmalio rolled into one somehow?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

on that note, what do you think about the Ostrich people's version of Yelmalio? I'm interested in this unusual variant! Is it perhaps Yelorna and Yelmalio rolled into one somehow?

Hah - the Ostrich Riders! Now I don’t have the Prax cult distribution spreadsheet handy but they number maybe a thousand members. They are not participating in the greater Yelmalio cult of the plains and likely have pretty limited magic. Enough to survive as weird bird riders.

If you're into community content, I think I remember seeing a writeup of their cult by Simon Phipp in Ian Thomson's New Pavis: City on the Edge of Forever.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

For me, it is a minor variant, important among the Ostrich Riders, of course, but not important to anyone else. It is probably a remnant of the Rinnliddi People, or comes from the same source. For me, Yelmalio first rode a bird, which the Ostrich Folk say was an ostrich, then abandoned it for a horse. The Ostrich Folk haven't forgotten, though.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Ostrich Riders derive from remnants of the old Rinliddi Bird Rider Empire.  Heroes magazine Vol 2 No. 1 had a whole write-up on the Ostrich Riders on page 4.  Elsewhere the only alternative name I have found for the Yelmalio of the Ostrich People is "Khim" in a fanzine, but memory of what and where eludes me for the moment.  (I recently tidied my files and now I can't find a damn thing; thanks Murphy's Law)

2 hours ago, Darius West said:

Ostrich Riders derive from remnants of the old Rinliddi Bird Rider Empire.  Heroes magazine Vol 2 No. 1 had a whole write-up on the Ostrich Riders on page 4.  Elsewhere the only alternative name I have found for the Yelmalio of the Ostrich People is "Khim" in a fanzine, but memory of what and where eludes me for the moment.  (I recently tidied my files and now I can't find a damn thing; thanks Murphy's Law)

someone was discussing how Yelmalio there is female, and I Want to Learn More. that's why i was asking about a possible fusion of Yelorna-Yelmalio as a single cult there à la Amon-Ra or Serapis (< "Osiris-Apis"), my favorite Egyptian deity (i have two, the other is Sobek of the Faiyum, which had a unique mythology that didn't match the West-East of the Nile world-cartography of the rest of Egypt)

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

Most Praxian beast riders have a trinary gender role system, waha/eiritha/shaman. i think all the fanzine writeups of the ostrich riders have put yelmalio in the waha role. 

What if that is wrong? Yelmalio is at root a god of birds, horses being a degenerate forms of birds who have lost their wings. The Orlanthi at least code horses as feminine, via Redalda, Elmal's wife. The Yelornans ride unicorns, a slightly less degenerate form of bird, retaining some of hippogriff's natural weapons.

Similarly, ostriches retain hippogriff's wings, but have lost the power of flight. But retained his ability to deliver a killing blow to an armored human.

Unlike the yelornans, the ostrich riders do have men in the clan, who follow Waha. They do the leading, hunting, guarding and crafting, with the most prestigious craft being butchering. The women are riders, herders and raiders.

Those who don't fit into either gender role are not part of the corresponding wyter community, and so have to find their own way as a shaman.

So the cult of yelmalio is the cult of Waha's wife. Naturally they code that as feminine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1