Two questions about the new Basic Roleplaying Book

rsanford

Hi all,

A couple of questions. One for anyone that has bought the PDF and one for Chaosium...

1. I understand that the sanity mechanics in the new book are different than what is in the Call of Cthulhu book. Can anyone share how the new sanity rules work at a high-level?

2. I understand that the printed Basic Roleplaying Book will be available next year. What type of binding will it use? One of the things I love about the older BGB is it's sewn binding.

Thanks!

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

The Sanity rules in the new BRP are adapted from Mark Gambler's Sanity for Stormbringer rules from Demon Magic, and are simpler and do not delve into diagnoses of particular psychoses or mental infirmities, and are far more generalized. 

The hardcover will be available later this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 5:46 PM, Jason D said:

The Sanity rules in the new BRP are adapted from Mark Gambler's Sanity for Stormbringer rules from Demon Magic, and are simpler and do not delve into diagnoses of particular psychoses or mental infirmities, and are far more generalized. 

The hardcover will be available later this year. 

Lovely that you dug up Demon 😈 Magic.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 12:41 AM, rsanford said:

1. I understand that the sanity mechanics in the new book are different than what is in the Call of Cthulhu book. Can anyone share how the new sanity rules work at a high-level

Your maximum sanity is POWx5. Your Temporary insanity level is permanently half that number. If you ever lose that much sanity in a short period you go temporarily insane for a period which could be minutes or weeks. If your sanity goes to 0 you are out of the game as a player (like in Call of Cthulhu). If you want to play a campaign where the threat of insanity is much greater you can tweak your Temporary insanity level to be POWx1 (normally it's POWx2.5).

23 hours ago, Questbird said:

Your maximum sanity is POWx5. Your Temporary insanity level is permanently half that number. If you ever lose that much sanity in a short period you go temporarily insane for a period which could be minutes or weeks. If your sanity goes to 0 you are out of the game as a player (like in Call of Cthulhu). If you want to play a campaign where the threat of insanity is much greater you can tweak your Temporary insanity level to be POWx1 (normally it's POWx2.5).

Thanks QuestBird!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:41 AM, rsanford said:

2. I understand that the printed Basic Roleplaying Book will be available next year. What type of binding will it use? One of the things I love about the older BGB is it's sewn binding.

All of Chaosium's hardcover books printed as regular print runs (i.e. not POD) have sewn bindings. The new BRP will be a regular print run hardcover.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

All of Chaosium's hardcover books printed as regular print runs (i.e. not POD) have sewn bindings. The new BRP will be a regular print run hardcover.

That’s wonderful news especially with so many companies shipping POD versions these days. I can’t wait!