👑 Create Player-Knights of any gender
👑 Unique personality mechanics for natural character growth

Notify_me_about_Pendragon.png.e62008b0c110b43a1cc8febe08db20cf.png

Learn more soon—sign up today!
Edited by MOB
  • Like 7

• MOB featured and pinned this topic
12 hours ago, creativehum said:

can you share details about what will be in the box?

Thanks!

This may not be right, but if it is it sounds fabulous 🙂

Inside This Box

Book I: The Adventure of the Sword in the Stone: Learn the rules for Pendragon as you play this solo adventure.

Book II: The Fabeld (sic) Realm: Everything you need to know about the game’s setting and core mechanics.

Book III: The Sword Campaign: A beginner-friendly campaign taking the Player-knights through the most important early events of King Arthur’s reign—three game years in all.

Appendices: Additional rules and setting details introduced as you play through The Sword Campaign.

Pregenerated Characters: Eight Player-knights, ready for adventure.

Battle Cards: Eighteen cards for generating Battle Encounters and Opportunities.

Dice: A set of seven polyhedral dice suitable for roleplaying in Pendragon.

Source: https://store.aetherworks.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=104017&osCsid=fb4eec1e29eb766b37623b1c3a796840

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

This may not be right, but if it is it sounds fabulous 🙂

That same description (complete with typo) is at more than a few other webstores offering pre order.

plus lucis quam solis
plus obscurior quam nocte
plus laqueum quam libido

Thanks for the reference. (Sincerely.) I had found that myself, before -- and it might well be accurate.

I was looking for the official statement from Chaosium. I'm sure it will be revealed soon.

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

Even d6s are not as common in households as they used to be (in the days of my youth, at least) so getting d20s and d6s into the box for Arthurian lovers who accidentally pick up the game might be a good idea.

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

Sorry, my point is that the box set is listing a 'set of seven polyhedral dice’ which implies to me that they are going to be the standard D4, D6, D8, D10 (and D00), D12 and D20  used in other games. I hope they include just the dice that the game actually uses!

15 minutes ago, TrippyHippy said:

Sorry, my point is that the box set is listing a 'set of seven polyhedral dice’ which implies to me that they are going to be the standard D4, D6, D8, D10 (and D00), D12 and D20  used in other games. I hope they include just the dice that the game actually uses!

I will be absolutely flabbergasted if the set includes d4, d8, d10 and d12, since KAP does NOT use those dice.

I'd expect 2d20 and 5d6, just as a guess.

• Like 1

Thank goodness, then! 

I mean, Cyberpunk Red managed to release a set of official polyhedral dice (D20, D12, D10 and D00, D8, D6 and D4) even though it only uses D10s and occasionally D6s!

When there was a Pendragon related Kickstart a few years ago (Paladin I think) they also included a Pendragon dice add on. It had to be pointed out that putting a special icon on the ’20’ face was actually meaningless in the rules, where the Crit occurs when you match your skill rating. All attention to detail, but it does count!

22 hours ago, Warthur said:

Is this a PDF first/print a while later sort of deal, or is this arriving in both print and PDF on June 29th?

I believe I read a post from @Rick Meints that Chaosium's research has led them to prefer simultaneous release. I understand that both physical and PDF will be available on 29 June - can't wait!

Is there any word on when the corebook will be available. because I am not a fan of Starter boxes. They tend to be extremely stripped down rules that are massively changed/errata when the corebook is released. 

Edited by tenchi2a

On 6/6/2023 at 3:47 AM, TrippyHippy said:

It includes a D20 and 6D6, no other dice.

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 6/7/2023 at 6:01 PM, tenchi2a said:

Is there any word on when the corebook will be available. because I am not a fan of Starter boxes. They tend to be extremely stripped down rules that are massively changed/errata when the corebook is released. 

The Starter set rules are a pared down version of the finished complete rulebook. Change/Errata should be very minimal.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Pendragon Starter set box cover art

Pendragon Starter Set

-- Releasing on June 29th --

CHA2729-X
$29.99*
Three softcover full color booklets, pregen character sheets, appendices, battle cards, dice
Boxed Set
ISBN 978-1-56882-574-8
Author: Greg Stafford
Cover Art: Mark Smylie
Artists: Andrey Fetisov, Lisa Free, Eric Hotz, Eleonor Piteira, Mark Smylie, Dimitar Stoyanov, Austin Winstead

Pendragon is a roleplaying game set in King Arthur’s Britain. You take on the role of knights and overcome mythical monsters, rival knights, and other wondrous challenges in search of Glory.

The Pendragon Starter Set presents a world of great adventure. This is the time of the Sword in the Stone, of the Boy King and Merlin and their struggles against those who would seize the crown for themselves...and of the flowering of chivalry. This is a time of desperate battles, dark portents, enchanted forests, pride, and self-indulgence.

“What kind of knight are you?” 

Do you believe in chivalry, or do you think might always makes right? Are you willing to die for your Honor? Will you fight to rid the world of injustice, or use clout and power to take advantage of those beneath you?

Combat in Pendragon is bloody and intense, and every knight must show valor sufficient to face it—and gain great Glory for their prowess!

The Pendragon Starter Set contains everything you need to begin questing and adventuring. It includes a selection of pregenerated characters and a short campaign offering multiple sessions of gameplay.

Pendragon Starter Set contents

Inside This Box

• Book I: The Adventure of the Sword in the Stone: Learn the rules for Pendragon as you play this solo adventure.
  • Book II: The Fabled Realm: Everything you need to know about the game’s setting and core mechanics.
  • Book III: The Sword Campaign: A beginner-friendly campaign taking the Player-knights through the most important early events of King Arthur’s reign—three game years in all.
  • Appendices: Additional rules and setting details introduced as you play through The Sword Campaign.
  • Pregenerated Characters: Eight Player-knights, ready for adventure.
  • Battle Cards: A set of eighteen perforated cards allowing you to generate combat encounters, and quickly reference enemy combat mechanics and evocative descriptions.
  • Dice: A set of seven polyhedral dice suitable for roleplaying in Pendragon.

*price includes PDF when purchased direct from Chaosium.com and Friendly Local Game Stores that are part of the Bits & Mortar initiative.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 7
  • Helpful 1

@MOB I know you all have a long rollout of Pendragon products for months and months to come, but I'm curious if there adjustments to the Book of Feasts and the Book of Feasts Cards are in the works. I've never bought them, but they are on my wish list. But if a new set is coming out in the future, I'll wait until then!

Thanks!

Edited by creativehum

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

On 6/11/2023 at 1:44 PM, creativehum said:

Another question!

Is the game line now called Pendragon rather than King Arthur Pendragon?

Not a big deal to me either way, but I'm curious!

It sort of always was (unofficially). The 'King Arthur’ bit was included on the previous editions titles, but usually with a much smaller font that you might miss it and everybody I knew always just called it ‘Pendragon’.  

I think having just one word is a better title anyway. The reference is clear enough that people know that it is about Authurian myth, but the game isn’t just about King Arthur - directly, it is about playing Knights of the era. I think Stormbringer lost something when they renamed the game Elric! for a while. 

Calling it ‘Pendragon’ as one word sounds thematically cooler, in the same way Runequest, Stormbringer, Warhammer or Pathfinder does. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
We're excited to be releasing the new PENDRAGON STARTER SET tomorrow, June 29th! It will be available to order from our US 🇺🇸, EU 🇪🇺 and AUSTRALIAN 🇦🇺 warehouses. And remember, when you order direct from Chaosium.com the price includes the PDF.

Unfortunately though, due to delays with UK customs, the Pendragon Starter Set will NOT be available to order from our UK 🇬🇧warehouse tomorrow. We apologise, but this is beyond our control. Most likely the shipment will arrive in our UK warehouse sometime next week.

mockup-booklets-pendragoncopy.png.62ccdd238992f4a16b2c0296a9b3d13b.png
Edited by MOB
  • Like 1