Timeline Please

RobbaYaga

Is there an official timeline of what happens when and who dies when? It's very frustrating when, as a very experienced GM who's running RQ for the first time, I keep trying to give my players information and they keep contradicting me because there is other information that I hadn't found.

GM: "Your King is X."
Player: "That king died, it says so in Vasana's Saga."
GM: "Hmm, that's not until 1626, the current year is 1625."
Player: "Really, then if all that is going to happen next year, I don't think I want my character to be from this area."

It would be really helpful to have a History that ends at a certain point, preferably when the PC's timeline starts.

Thanks

Edited by RobbaYaga

There is a timeline, or rather a set of timelines,  on Well of Daliath.  But it doesn't include every possible king -

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/?s=Timeline

and

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/history-of-glorantha/timeline-dragonpass/

As far as your player not wanting an uneventful year in the character's history - remember what is said to be a Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times.".

29 minutes ago, RobbaYaga said:

Is there an official timeline of what happens when and who dies when?

King of Sartar p. 38 probably has the best overall timeline. Between that and the narratives within (e.g. Argrath's Saga and Composite History of Dragon Pass) you can get the rough arc including deaths of key figures such as Kallyr. 

19 minutes ago, RobbaYaga said:

GM: "Your King is X."
Player: "That king died, it says so in Vasana's Saga."
GM: "Hmm, that's not until 1626, the current year is 1625."
Player: "Really, then if all that is going to happen next year, I don't think I want my character to be from this area."

GM: That was a strange dream Vasana had.

GM: The omens were indeed dire, but bold adventurers may avert that fate.

GM: Let's play in Imther. The history for there ends at the Dragonrise, all else is for us to learn and explore. [Note: as author of the Edge of Empire work, one of my intents was to let sandbox games continue on and develop in their own way. While I intend to expand the setting further with scenarios, locations, and guidelines, the subsequent works will not include a definitive timeline but offer ways to link into the larger Argrath story.] Edge of Empire

• Helpful 1

11 hours ago, RobbaYaga said:

Is there an official timeline of what happens when and who dies when? It's very frustrating when, as a very experienced GM who's running RQ for the first time, I keep trying to give my players information and they keep contradicting me because there is other information that I hadn't found.

"Your Glorantha Will Vary." Ergo, your players can't ever "gotcha" your Glorantha, because it varies. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

"Your Glorantha Will Vary." Ergo, your players can't ever "gotcha" your Glorantha, because it varies. 

Another way to look at it is "the timeline tells you what happens if there are no PCs". With PCs, anything can happen.

• Like 1

I also find the timeline a bit limiting. It may be strange, but I find it easier to play in 1616 and change the official events than playing in 1626 and be stumped because I have no idea if a "minor" event will change a town or clan. It is a control issue.

That said I am moving the game West to Safelster, as I expect to have several years with no timelines.

51 minutes ago, DrGoth said:

Another way to look at it is "the timeline tells you what happens if there are no PCs". With PCs, anything can happen.

To the best of my players’ knowledge, Vasana & Co. don’t exist in my game. Why would we care what her Saga says? It’s fiction.

• Like 4

On 6/1/2023 at 8:09 PM, Nick Brooke said:

To the best of my players’ knowledge, Vasana & Co. don’t exist in my game. Why would we care what her Saga says? It’s fiction.

Adopts a mock serious face. Would you say it's out of Glorantha fiction or in-Glorthan fiction (in the latter case, probably written well after the events)?

4 hours ago, DrGoth said:

Adopts a mock serious face. Would you say it's out of Glorantha fiction or in-Glorthan fiction (in the latter case, probably written well after the events)?

In either case it is one character's  viewpoint and like the pieces in King of Sartar it need not totally agree with other pieces.  Or with other GMs.

The quibbling player is quibbling.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 12:09 PM, Nick Brooke said:

I actually consider Vasana & Co as potential NPCs. One of my players wanted to play Vasana so we adapted her to our Six Seasons in Sartar campaign. We made her (and the bison) younger and changed her family. Vasana is the nice to the clan chief and her half-sister Yanioth exists. But the PCs havent met her.

Our Vasana actually met Argrath in Pavis in late 1620 and early 1621. They even had a one-night stand at a Winds day orgy.

Edited by Soccercalle
Forgot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ffilz said:

Is there anything that places all the official adventures on the timeline?

7Tigers compiled the dates of the French publications (they include some additional adventures) with some additional suggestions:

https://deadcrows.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15135

The rulebook suggests to begin after the Dragonrise (Day 122, Earth season/Harmony week/Clay day 1625).

• The Broken Tower (Quickstart adventure): without date.
  • The three GM Screen Pack adventures: Earth season/Dark season/Storm season 1625, but they can also take place in 1626 for example.
  • The Smoking Ruin: Sea season 1626
  • The Grove of Green Rocks: Sea season 1626 (but the starting year is easy to replace, and repeated adventures in the following years occur in different seasons); remaining adventures of The Smoking Ruin have no date
  • The Pegasus Plateau: Sea season (repeats each year)
  • The Rattling Wind: Storm season 1625 (but easy to change); remaining adventures of The Pegasus Plateau are without date.

Additionally, the adventures in the Starter Set take place during and after the Battle of Dangerford (God Day, Movement Week, Earth Season 1625), so Earth season, Dark season, Storm season 1625 are covered (but easy to change).

• Quand l'Esprit Faillit (French rulebook): End of Sea season or begin of Fire season 1626 (but easy to change).
  • Faux-semblants (French bestiary): without date, but during a Humakt holy day. Suggestion Earth season 1626.
  • Les Enfants de la Flamme (French campaign): From Earth season 1625 to 1626.
  • Encombrantes Amitiés (Casus magazine): Storm season 1625.
  • Repas de famille (Jeu de Rôle magazine): Sea season 1627 (but easy to change).
Edited by Ludo Bagman

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

All the official adventures begin post-dragonrise (Earthseason, 1625) and generally fit in the period before Argrath's return in 1627. 

Well, I meant all the RQ1, RQ2, and RQ3 adventures also 🙂

17 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Thanks, though sadly it doesn't seem like that came up with a definitive timeline...

Ah well, back to not really being sure what the date is in my campaign, and not sure how much I actually care...

Also, time passes really fast when the PCs get loads of treasure and take a couple seasons off to train... My campaign is now in year 5.