Tales of New Crobuzon to use Basic Roleplaying system

Jason D

Anyone who's a fan of China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council should be pleased to know that Adamant Entertainment has been developing Tales of New Crobuzon, a game based on Bas-Lag, the setting of those books.

Gareth-Michael Skarka let it slip today that it's using a customized version of Basic Roleplaying, with rules changes to suit the unique setting.

I've known for a while that this was in the works (I even sent Gareth the original text files), but it's nice to see it get announced, even if in an annoyingly contentious thread on rpg.net.

I actually had put this on that Setting Wishlist thread that was doing the rounds a few weeks ago, so I'm totally STOKED with this news!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Anyone who's a fan of China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council should be pleased to know that Adamant Entertainment has been developing Tales of New Crobuzon, a game based on Bas-Lag, the setting of those books.

Gareth-Michael Skarka let it slip today that it's using a customized version of Basic Roleplaying, with rules changes to suit the unique setting.

I'm enormously fond of the Bas-Lag books, and Mieville's writing in general and given his affection for Call of Cthulhu and RPG's (although he doesn't play and hasn't for some time IIRC) I always felt that BRP would be a good match for bas-Lag and that I was significantly less interested in Adamants game given it was initially announced as a bespoke system.

It has now definitely gone on to my "must buy list"...

I've known for a while that this was in the works (I even sent Gareth the original text files), but it's nice to see it get announced, even if in an annoyingly contentious thread on rpg.net.

GMS doesn't have the most approachable of on line persona's, but one can understand why given people seem to randomly want to argue with him for no reason...

Cheers,

Nick

It's going all right. I had to abandon some material that was causing me some trouble... just going too far down a path that wasn't necessary.
Makes total sense to me... that sort of thing happens to me sometimes when I'm painting.

Good to here it's still headed our way. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...