Ironbreaker

Erol of Backford

6 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Likely this question should be somewhere else but what happens to Ironbreaker after Oddi uses it the last time?

In theory, it would pass to Oddi's heir.

However, it might be lost, or picked up by somebody else.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

No info. A PC seems like a good candidate?

Love the idea but we have never gotten to 1630 (to get the sword) or even 1625 for that matter in our campaigns! To be honest over the last year or so there have been mentions of so many cool weapons to integrate into campaigns that we'd need about 100 high level PC's to put a dent in possessing them, well maybe a few score anyway if not 100.

On 7/2/2023 at 1:42 PM, Erol of Backford said:

what happens to Ironbreaker after Oddi uses it the last time?

It depends on whether Oddi gifts it to someone and reveals the swords secrets to them. It clearly is a weapon for use during the Hero Wars.

Some history of Ironbreaker appears in the Guide p.712-3, but that's back in the First Age. 

10 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

A PC seems like a good candidate?

I think this would clearly be the case. Someone leading the ongoing fight vs. Ralzakark. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Love the idea but we have never gotten to 1630 (to get the sword) or even 1625 for that matter in our campaigns! To be honest over the last year or so there have been mentions of so many cool weapons to integrate into campaigns that we'd need about 100 high level PC's to put a dent in possessing them, well maybe a few score anyway if not 100.

Dual-Wield Ironbreaker and the Windsword? 🙂

Edited by Akhôrahil

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Some history of Ironbreaker appears in the Guide p.712-3, but that's back in the First Age. 

Ironbreaker has among the most contradictory history out of anything in Glorantha. The Guide has it made for Arkat’s general Distan, but this completely contradicts D:LoD where Kulebras brings it down from Thunder Mountain and Varzor Kitor is a prominent wielder (which is a lot more awesome and needs to stay).

Best compromise is probably that it was somehow altered or reforged for Distan.

3 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

a fusion of both and a third one

I was thinking possibly there are two Ironbreakers like the Red Sword but it doesn't seem to fit.

I like how Davecake explained the Unbreakable Sword existing in Arkat's hand but also still in Humakt's. Likely the same happened with Toldat's Red Sword?

Sorry I don't know how to quote from another thread... only link.

4 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

(which is a lot more awesome and needs to stay)

I like old school, lots of things were known to be bad for your health back in the late 80's and early 90's. Especially Dorastor.

image.png.d414fe7658670b789008c302d0801b1b.png

It does seem that the GtG and DLoD are both showing the same history, unless I misunderstood?

From the GtG: year 147 Kulebras traveled to Thunder Mountain and returned with the sword Ironbreaker, as a sign of Orlanth’s favor. So Kulebras gets the sword. This seems to be the same as DLoD p.6?

Edited by Erol of Backford

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

It does seem that the GtG and DLoD are both showing the same history, unless I misunderstood?

From the GtG: year 147 Kulebras traveled to Thunder Mountain and returned with the sword Ironbreaker, as a sign of Orlanth’s favor. So Kulebras gets the sword. This seems to be the same as DLoD p.6?

The Guide also states it was made for Distan ("Ironbreaker, a dwarf-wrought sword made for one of the  lieutenants of Arkat the Destroyer"), which makes no sense in that context, unless we reinterpret what "wrought" and "made" means here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Guide also states

Ah, thanks, I didn't notice when I skimmed.

On another note if the sword is Ironbreaker is it made from something stronger than iron? And if so which Dwarves crafted it. I suppose any of the ancient/old Mostali might have crafted it or it was crafted under their guidance?

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

On another note if the sword is Ironbreaker is it made from something stronger than iron? And if so which Dwarves crafted it. I suppose any of the ancient/old Mostali might have crafted it or it was crafted under their guidance?

Ironbreaker may have (had) a stronger Stabilize enchantment than other items. Adamantium is the ultimate material in Glorantha, but that material would have been mentioned in the Paulis narrative.

Another explanation for the name could be "the Breaker made from Iron" rather than "the sword that breaks iron".

There are three possible time frames for Mostali hostile or at least neutral to Nysalor's Bright Empire to have dealt with Arkat and his companions - Arkat's time in Seshnela, with dwarfs from Belskan providing the sword, his Telmori campaign in Ralios with Bad Deal and the Nidan dwarfs as the origin, or his decade of fighting in and around Kerofinela with possibly Isidilian or Martaler (or rather their followers) providing the item. Greatway seems to have remained loyal to the Bright Empire while it lasted without being targeted specifically like the Heortlings targeted Dara Happa.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis