Considering another "long" JC project - which sounds most interesting?

Austin

Considering another "long" JC project - which sounds most interesting?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which idea grabs your curiosity?

• Jonstown Adventures - anthology compatible with Starter Set
    • Aeolian Sorcery - non-Monomyth player sorcerers
    • Dragon's Rift - psychedelic mega-dungeon
    • ShamanQuest! - Spirit World inspired by 90's Pokémon
    • Earth Dragon's Daughter - adventure campaign to prevent Ernalda's utuma
    • Cults of Sylthi - localized "city religion" in Esrolia

I'm going through my scribble ideas journal and considering writing up a longer (100+ pages) project. Which sounds most interesting for your games? All are set roughly in Dragon Pass.

N.b. I'm not promising any of these (or even that a long project would be for RuneQuest, cuz I have some fun fiction ideas I'd like to write, too). Right now, just looking to gauge community interest in various ideas.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

41 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Why radio buttons, allowing only one choice?

Currently, I'm more interested in "Ooh, that sounds exciting!" than "huh, that's interesting." I think picking one rather than multiple gives me better feedback on that front.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

Typo? “Non-monotheistic” or “henotheistic”? (I’ll admit “non-Monomyth” is much more intriguing, of course.)

Non-Monomyth is correct. I have some weird shit in mind about a worldview in which Orlanth is married to Entekos.

@jajagappa the weird henotheistic symbiosis is what interests me, to be honest.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Crel said:

the weird henotheistic symbiosis is what interests me, to be honest.

I put my take on that into the Heortland book currently in Chaosium's queue. You can glean some of that from Jeff's posts e.g. 3 castes, not 4; the gods are Emanations of the Invisible God so are worshipped with the Invisible God; the society functions much as other Heortling society except ruled by the noble caste (who are always from noble families; worship of the Invisible God is led by the priest caste (and they are still the only sorcerors). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crel said:

I'm going through my scribble ideas journal and considering writing up a longer (100+ pages) project. Which sounds most interesting for your games? All are set roughly in Dragon Pass.

N.b. I'm not promising any of these (or even that a long project would be for RuneQuest, cuz I have some fun fiction ideas I'd like to write, too). Right now, just looking to gauge community interest in various ideas.

Have you seen... THIS?

SDLeary

6 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

Have you seen... THIS?

Vaguely remember skimming it years ago. This screenshot from recording w/ the God Learners podcast is reflective of my brain on Aeolianism, for good or for ill. Unfortunately, the left-hand page is blurrier, but probably moderately more interesting. I don't think I have photos of my diagram laying out Aeol's Hexgram w/ the Power Runes included laying around.

Austin's six-pronged elemental sigil

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

You can glean some of that from Jeff's posts

I appreciate the pointing and suggestions, genuinely. For me, the pleasure when brainstorming the Aeolian stuff (and these are basically all just scribbly notes in that same journal above) is in not gleaning information from extra sources. Sometimes I like sticking close to Chaosium's Glorantha, and sometimes I want to be distant. The Aeolian stuff started with my brain and my pen just... fucking around.

All of these ideas have stuff I love about them, stuff that engages me. It's often engaging in different ways, different problems. But there's a reason the Aeolian one says "non-Monomyth."

• Like 3

I'm not really seeing the Aeolians as non-monomyth.  They were within the God Learner zone and since the God Learners obtained their mythology from the Lightbringers, Aeolian knowledge would be well and truly within the God Learner corpus.  They would have some points of difference but the known points of difference (three castes rather than four, worship of the Gods) is comparatively trivial compared to what some of the supposedly orthodox Malkioni get up to.  So Septuagint rather than Masoretic might be a better take IMO. 

14 hours ago, Crel said:

Currently, I'm more interested in "Ooh, that sounds exciting!" than "huh, that's interesting." I think picking one rather than multiple gives me better feedback on that front.

This still leaves me with the two urban ideas of yours to choose from.

Leaving the monomyth in the core Orlanthi region is not impossible, but hard. While I doubt that the Slontan invaders took a serious look at the practices of the Esvulari (other than their taxation for supporting their military presence) - the few sentences in the Durengard Scrolls might be the entire body of lore accumulated outside of Lhankor Mhy temples in the Kingdom of Night - the Esvulari lore seems to have seen some more attention by Belintar, who took the Monomyth and put it into practice for his Proximate Holy Realm in the City of Wonders. And it is the Belintar acedemy of heroquesting which shaped the Sartarite experimental heroquesting lore.

That said, postulating runic interactions different from Zzabur's wheel (which is different from the one on the RQG Character sheet) is difficult with the RQG sorcery rules.

RQG introduces a few false dichotomies like Man vs. Beast. These traits adding up to 100% is a weird gamist element, which would be served just as well as opposed rolls between two percentile skills above 50% or a resistance roll between traits on a scale from 1 to 20.

The RQG rules are supposed to model Lhankor Mhy and Aeolian sorcery, and Rokari sorcery to some extent. For alternate approaches, I wouldn't exactly look at the Aeolian sorcerers.

My own RQ3-based speculations on sorcery used by the Aeolians did have access to rune magic for all Aeolians (including sorcerer caste Aeolians), which apparently still is the case in RQG as there are bound to be sorcerer-caste Aeolians who do not qualify for sorcery because they do not fulfill INT or literacy requirements or might be otherwise handicapped. "Spirit Magic" has gone back a few steps towards RQ2 Battle Magic, which has fixed spell effects you need to learn - something you know.

I can still envision a Glorantha away from RQG canon where there are knowledge-based forms of magic for the common people, whether on the East Isles as forms of martial art effects, in Kralorela as forms of bureaucracy-enhancing spellcraft, or as extensions of the principle of the Open Seas ritual for people blissfully ignorant of the sorcery techniques and runes.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, metcalph said:

I'm not really seeing the Aeolians as non-monomyth.

22 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Leaving the monomyth in the core Orlanthi region is not impossible, but hard.

The point is to create, not to add to canon. But just to be uncreative, I will recycle a diagram:

ygwv-venn-diagrams_01.thumb.png.95364a639ea0175439fedc054a1813b0.png

• Like 3
  • Off Topic 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Ahah it seems I’m a killjoy 😛 

so, by the way, I voted for a topic but any of them could be interesting 

the only thing I m looking for (but that’s my taste, other may surely be different) is to be the much possible canon.

spirit cult / local hero cult allows weird/anti-canon options even in the killjoy scenario (well if I understand @mfbrandi diagram)

if there are rule, I would like (again personal taste) to see something like

«  well the rules propose to play like that but I prefer this one » and

« When I write these words there is no rule about xxx so here is my proposal »

it allows people like me to to understand quickly the difference between your glorantha+game design, the canon, and their own glorantha+game design

Edited by French Desperate WindChild
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

The point is to create, not to add to canon. But just to be uncreative, I will recycle a diagram:

ygwv-venn-diagrams_01.thumb.png.95364a639ea0175439fedc054a1813b0.png

There are other possible venn diagrams, like e.g.

image.png.7d8d6351ebd8eb15e891861233cbd79c.png 

as in "I don't dare to contradict the sacred scripture, but I am willing to expand it and use some of its apocrypha regardless".

All these diagrams with "Canon" meaning "Statements of Canon I am aware of", and much of YGWV being things I misremembered from canon rather than my own independent creation.

Creating against current canon, current perceived canon or previous, now abandoned canon will often be an exercise in futility.

Or even just creating outside of current canon (which is where @Crel excels). Been there, done that, on the topic of Aeolian Heortland even. Hence my statement that it is hard - hard to find acceptance and a customer base for.

Painting me as being against using unused Abandoned Canon feels weird to me after waffling about RQ3 sorcery being available to everybody and how I can see such a thing happening away from RQG canon that I am aware of (I still have to read all those Cults of RuneQuest books).

In this case, we are not talking about canon, but monomyth and the current RQG sorcery rules (which are two different things with some intersectional area). Yes, similar considerations apply.

No, Killjoy was not my stance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

9 minutes ago, Joerg said:

hard to find acceptance and a customer base for

That may be true — hence the poll — but my experience in life (i.e. not this forum — no fingers pointed) is that statements like “other people won’t buy it” (supposed statement of fact) are often used as seemingly innocent substitutes for “I think you shouldn’t do it” (value judgement).

Doubtless my reading of this thread was coloured by having just been over on the other one.

Peace?

• Thanks 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

21 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I would like to see something like:

1. well the rules propose to play like that but I prefer this one
  2. when I write these words there is no rule about xxx so here is my proposal

You are not a killjoy: a killjoy might go with [2], but [1] (which doesn’t exclude [2]) elevates you to the realm of devil-may-care MGF. And that is where most of us live most of the time, right? And your poll vote (which is why we are here) may lead to more fun!

Edited by mfbrandi
typo
  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST