Night Jumpers & Stagwood

Erol of Backford

So the Night Jumpers subcult shrine is at an Orthanth Temple(s).

The spells are fly and night vision, jump always seems hoaxy to me somehow but if it works so be it.

Who is the 1600ish leader of the Night Jumpers, where actually are they based, the more locations the better and is their night vision similar to cat's eye or is it more like darksense?

Just curious as if its near Stagwood it would be great.

Does anyone have a map of Stagwood by chance?

There is a good little write up on Stagwood in RQA 01, notable for its great stockade, Stagwood is very defensible and sits on a prominent hill crest.

It has Taljaan's Swift Brigade which is a well known company of mounted mercenaries who make their home in Stagwood. Taljaan is a Centaur of course.

Also there is Gogma Badaxe, an aged, famous Minotaur drill sergeant.

It say this division will play a role in the upcoming Hero Wars as part of the Sartar City Mounted Militia.

With our PC's moving between Sartar, Nochet and Backford this town will see a lot of game time. It has great NPC's already and though it says there is no Geo's...

Does anyone have more on Stagwood and the Night Jumpers, how does one join, is there a subcult write-up somewhere? (Should have been my first question.)

KOS say they all made a great jump (I like fly better) who are the daughters of Desrada and where is Orlanth's Lone Rock?

Also how do you create a Blacknight (KOS p174)

It also says Argrath Voskandorasson partook and always had a place at any Volsaxi high table wherever he went... an earlier Argrath?

Tarkalor Trollkiller defeated the Kitori in 1560 and reestablished the Volsaxing kingdom. (GtG)

image.png.f114c3f6e56f259a7ea24b8f2e130c09.png

11 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does anyone have more on Stagwood and the Night Jumpers, how does one join, is there a subcult write-up somewhere? (Should have been my first question.)

The major reference is in History of the Heortling Peoples 107 in the Kitori enemies section. See also Glorantha Sourcebook 216, as they are in the Sartar Magical Union.

They have the secrets of safe flight in the dark, so make it a subcult of Orlanth Adventurous (for Flight), that has access to Darksee, RBM 40. As an Adventurous subcult, it can have a mobile shrine (so put it where you want). To join you need to know Flight, when you pay the point of POW to join the subcult, you gain Darksee and the usual Rune point.

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

10 hours ago, David Scott said:

Darksee, RBM 40

Simple enough.

Curious who/what worm guy is with sharp teeth? Maybe stats link, I hadn't noticed him before?

image.png.182b976b845b51a16c33ee2634517d10.png

Also any more on the hero Dardestol, who had a Dwarvish axe and left with the deposed king for the Wastelands to seek fame. What happened to his Axe what are its powers? I am guessing he was on the side of Darkness...

image.png

Edited by Erol of Backford

11 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Curious who/what worm guy is with sharp teeth? Maybe stats link, I hadn't noticed him before?

Probably a centipede spirit RQB 167.

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 3 months later...

I found a good bit more in RQA 04 p.26. Mr. Ebit Strongleg and the spirit spell Nightjump. This spell is cool as its spirit magic. A Nightjump 5 would let you jump up onto the wall of old Pavis... not as good as flying but your not using rune points also a jump roll lets you deduct form attacks against you...

From the Glorantha Digest: Night jumping is a movement feat of Vingkot Champion (TR p229) who confers other troll fighting feats so it looks as though the Night Jumper clan worships him. (Peter Metcalfe Oct 2001)

Does anyone know what book title is abbreviated as "TR"?

Also per the Glorantha Digest the Night Jumpers were part of the attack on the Bat at Whitewall as I understood but all 49 were killed unfortunately. "The Night Leapers were pushed off the Bat and fell to their deaths."

Is Dorinstead located correctly in the blue box in the clips below as it shows in a RQA 04 map in about that location. The notes say they are mostly Kurtali and they hate the Kitori or rather are their enemies... but they ironically send a good number of their best warriors to fight the Bat to help save a Kitori town? Maybe they hate the Lunars more than the Kitori and will fight with them against the Lunars?

If the Dorinsteaders had a Trollball Team it would be one of the worst rivalries...

RQA 04 also says that Stagwood is the "stronghold of the Kurtali". 

Curious if there are any Night Jumper minotaurs as there as Beastfolk in Stagwood?

Aventus Hill Leaper...

image.png.7fbd51095cf09acf45f0d4fa8f9660c6.png

10 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Is Dorinstead located correctly in the blue box in the clips below as it shows in a RQA 04 map in about that location.

A name made up presumably for RQA 4 and not used anywhere else. (I.e. you will never see it any official publication since it was created in a fanzine.) On my map, the blue box is the village of Foxhead.

I like to preserve the "Jump" (vs. making it a "Fly").

Once you "jump" you cannot change direction, which is a downside.

But a jump is also faster than flying:  that initial impetus has to launch you onto a trajectory that will carry you on a huge arc upwards, and falling back downwards.  The magic keeps you safe from the physics of the crushing acceleration of launch, and the otherwise-deadly impact of landing.  Typically, this will be many hundreds of MPH/KPH, whereas typical "fly" speeds are usually akin to a runner, horse-rider, etc.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Foxhead

Dorin was a wear-fox? Guessing Fox Woman shows herself near there sometimes... I did like that from RQA 04, the habitants don't like trolls like the Sun Domers... YGWV.

image.png.5eccde5218264feb9f1f2f3eadf4e896.png

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Typically, this will be many hundreds of MPH/KPH, whereas typical "fly" speeds are usually akin to a runner, horse-rider, etc.

18 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

"The Night Leapers were pushed off the Bat and fell to their deaths."

But if they had "Fly" they would have been ok I am guessing, maybe use Night Jump spirit spell but always keep a divine Fly handy as a backup or Teleport?

Edited by Erol of Backford