Gloranthian Godzilla

Erol of Backford

2 hours ago, Malin said:

Sounds like a dragon having one of those nightmares where you can only move really slowly and stagger around...

On a Gloranthan scale, Godzilla is just a somewhat-bigger-and-tougher-than-usual Dream Dragon.  A "nightmare" might indeed be apt!

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the glowing Glamour towers down
Helpless people on a farmyard wain
Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them
He picks up a chariot and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town......"

With apologies to Blue Oyster Cult

• Helpful 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does Glorantha have a lightning breathing giant dinosaur?

My immediate thoughts were divergent:

• a giant in a rubber suit having the worst acid trip ever

• a dinosaur of very modest proportions — six feet long, tops — who warps space around her:
    cities are shrunk down to tiny size as she approaches — think Braniac and Kandor — and stomped by oh-so-delicate feet;
    after ゴジラ has passed, the landscape reverts to normal size, revealing the full horror

Surely, we could fit the latter into Pamaltela.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

There was of course the more manageable RQA 01 Broozilla, forgot about him... p.15. Only size 30 however. Could just double or triple some stats?

2 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

ゴジラ

go - ji - ra

3 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

a dinosaur of very modest proportions — six feet long

I just recalled Broozilla from RQA 01. But it was SIZ 30.

image.png.3f4b8a065bde4c4055a4c54d82b6b9e5.png

image.png.acbdafd480a5f54201ab9743db12885f.png

I suppose Godzilla would be as tall or taller than Otra. What is 300-350' tall in Glorantha - Rune Quest SIZ?

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 6:33 PM, scott-martin said:

Canonically there's a giant lizard and a giant chimpanzee on Loral, which might give you what you need along with a giant butterfly, "king" hydra, a flying turtle and an otherwise undocumented giant radioactive pteranodon.

To hammer home the kaiju references even further, Jamie Revell's article on Loral in Tradetalk magazine named the giant chimpanzee "Queen Kweng" and the hydra as "Mojira".

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

• Thanks 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

19 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Plus Slon is a great choice for monsters. It reeks of Burroughs' Land that Time Forgot and People that Time Forgot.

Pushing the idea further: a lightning-breathing draconic being could be a leftover freak experiment of the EWF, maybe someone trying to achieve draconic status with a shortcut but it going even more wrong than usually.

• Helpful 1

6 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

a lightning-breathing draconic being could be a leftover freak experiment of the EWF

In my Imther game, when the Brown Dragon flies north against the Lunar Empire it is wrapped in clouds, exhales lightning, and generates so much thunder that it shatters buildings enroute.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jajagappa said:

In my Imther game, when the Brown Dragon flies north against the Lunar Empire it is wrapped in clouds, exhales lightning, and generates so much thunder that it shatters buildings enroute.

So its like Godzilla but can fly... but Gloranthian True Dragons are much larger by kilometers whereas Godzilla in the most recent movie seems to be only 350-400' high.

19 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

So its like Godzilla but can fly... but Gloranthian True Dragons are much larger by kilometers whereas Godzilla in the most recent movie seems to be only 350-400' high.

Yes, the Brown Dragon is 8 kilometers long and likely similar wingspan. I had it look like a vast storm arc laden with thunderous clouds and spewing lightning bolts randomly when it crossed over Imther.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Saw the new movie trailer... does Glorantha have a lightning breathing giant dinosaur, maybe in Pamelta? Kong? Silly yes but what the Hell Crack right?

Of course.

I ran an RQ3 Gloranthan campaign when Channel 4 had a series of old Japanese Monster films, so they all appeared as monsters in Dorastor a few weeks after I watched them.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here