Red Moon immortals and heroes

bronze

How many Lunar Immortals do exist, and how many of them are known to us? Is there any information on them? 

Are there any known Lunar Heroes who partook in the Battle of the Castle Blue aside from the future Red Emperor and Great Sister? 

Do we know anything about Egi?

Hoping upcoming Lunar book covers at least some of them, however unlikely the prospect is. 

Why there are so few Lunar Heroes during the Hero War? The Red Emperor, Jar-eel, and any else? 

Are there any known human Blue Moon heroes after the Time? 

Edited by bronze
  • Helpful 1

• bronze changed the title to Red Moon immortals and heroes
52 minutes ago, bronze said:

Why there are so few Lunar Heroes during the Hero War? The Red Emperor, Jar-eel, and any else? 

Heroes aren't particularly common anywhere - they require worship to fuel their powers. Beat-pot Aelwrin is the third from the original WBRM game. Great Sister probably counts as one. Also check out the Guide p.302: Alanthore, Bellex Maximus, Ivex Devouring Dog, and Send Valu might count as heroes, demigods, or similar.

Some of the other earlier heroes are known to occasionally return to the mortal world including Aronius Jaranthir in Carmania, the Conquering Daughter, and Yara Aranis (the last is particularly noted in King of Sartar as the six-armed goddess of Saird). 

54 minutes ago, bronze said:

No, but if you learned about them, they'd have to kill you.

57 minutes ago, bronze said:

See Fortunate Succession p.53-4 has most of the known information. Also Flower Poem, Guide p.307, is noted as being one of them (and also immortal, so might count as a hero).

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bronze said:

How many Lunar Immortals do exist, and how many of them are known to us? Is there any information on them?

The Prosopaedia is the best place to start:

• Etyries, demigod
  • Full Moon Corps, demigod soldiers
  • Glamour, new god
  • Great Sister, demigod, new god
  • Hon-eel, new god
  • Hwarin Dalthippa, Lunar Heroine, new god
  • Iphigios, new god
  • Jar-eel, new god
  • Kana Poor, new god
  • Nysalor, new god
  • Red Emperor, new god
  • Red Dancer of Power, Demigoddess
  • Red Goddess
  • Seven Mothers: Danfive Xaron, Deezola, Irrippi Ontor, Jakaleel, Teelo Norri, Yanafal Tarnils, She who waits, all new gods
  • Yara Aranis, new god

Old gods in the Lunar pantheon (there are more listed in the pantheon in the prosopaedia)

• Erelia and Verelia, The Twinstars
  • Gerra, one of the Seven Ancient Forms of the Red Goddess
  • Holder, Lunar underworld goddess
  • Jajagappa, Psychopomp
  • Jernotius, avatar of Rashorana
  • Kalikos
  • Lesilla, one of the Seven Ancient Forms of the Red Goddess
  • Natha, one of the Seven Ancient Forms of the Red Goddess
  • Orogeria
  • Rashorana, one of the Seven Ancient Forms of the Red Goddess
  • Sedenya
  • Ulurda, one of the Seven Ancient Forms of the Red Goddess
  • Verithurusa, is one of the Seven Ancient Forms of the Red Goddess
  • Young Elementals
  • Zaytenera, one of the Seven Ancient Forms of the Red Goddess

Are there any known Lunar Heroes who partook in the Battle of the Castle Blue aside from the future Red Emperor and Great Sister?

Full Moon Corps

Try this search link for the Well of Daliath

Hoping upcoming Lunar book covers at least some of them, however unlikely the prospect is. 

It's all there (some more than others)

There aren't that many in total: 12 heroes and 3 superheroes

• Lunar: Beat-pot Aelwrin, The Red Emperor, Jar-eel the Razoress (superhero)
  • Sartar:Gunda the Guilty, Jaldon Toothmaker, Prince Argrath, Harrek the Berserk  (superhero)
  • Independent: Androgeus (superhero)Cragspider, Ironhoof, Sir Ethilrist, The Dwarf, The Feathered Horse Queen, The Inhuman King, The Twins.

The Blue Moon is a half-dead dead, and her empire was destroyed and her powers greatly reduced. There are only three localised groups that worship the Blue Moon: The Veldang in Pamaltela (two separate groups), the legendary Zaranistangi (maybe extinct) and the trolls of the Blue moon plateau. While a hero rising from these is not impossible, the cult is secret and no one knows anything about it. I'd look out for trolls who mysteriously join the cult of the Red Goddess.

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

There’s a lot of good Lunar stuff packed into Crimson King that you’ll probably enjoy, including insights into the Blue Moon, the Egi, Beat-pot Aelwrin and more besides.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bronze said:

The nearest is the Duke of the Blue Moon, who might also be the Emperor's Cousin.

[Lakistalia on the Blue Moon Plateau - PHM] is the home of the Duke of the Blue Moon. He, or his dynasty, has led the natives in worship of the Lunar Way since before the start of Time. They are accepted as relatives to the Empire and accorded every effort of grace and cordiality to an equal, but inferior, kin.

Guide p347

(We have no idea whether or not he’s human, of course. Greg enjoyed the idea that even the most senior echelons of the Lunar Empire were perplexed and confused by the impenetrable masks and veils worn by their Blue Moon cousins. See also: Kitori?)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

Where's that from?

I misplaced the y - it is Gabaryanga. Personalities of Fonrit, Guide p. 553, and Guide, Fonrit chapter prophecies/future events p.562.

Edited by Joerg
  • Helpful 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

There is a little bit about Daroria (?= Glorantha) in the Guide:

• See p. 314 & p. 316

Although, if you told me the second mention was a typo for “Oria” (ViTuros = Lodril), I would believe you. Perhaps a “deliberate mistake.“

Edited by Scotty
please keep cut and pastes to a few sentences
  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Thanks for the answers.

On 11/21/2023 at 7:12 AM, Nick Brooke said:

(The Creator/Creatrix remaining outside their creation is very on-brand.)

Nick, I was a bit slow on the uptake with this, but very true 😀

metcalph and mfbrandi, thanks for pointing me to Daroria. I had missed that. A follow-up question if you don't mind. From Daroria's entry in The Prosopaedia, "She has always been present, but humans did not perceive her until the late Second Age. She was revealed to be the divine power behind the lesser goddesses of Dara Happa". What happened?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, narsilion said:

Being relatively new to Glorantha, i do not know what does the title "inspiration of Moonson" mean. What is this "inspiration"?

The best source on this is the Glorantha Sourcebook in the Redline History of the Lunar Empire.

In brief, the Red Emperor (i.e. Moonson) has over time had Four Inspirations. Each in some way is an incarnation or avatar of the Red Goddess. Each in some way is a "daughter" of the Red Emperor, inspired by his designs to fashion the Lunar Empire (i.e. his thoughts on how to bring the illluminated guidance of the Red Goddess into the mortal/physical world where he rules).

The Inspirations in order are:

First: Glamour. She is the city and the goddess of the city, a place where Dreams become real. (There's a cult writeup of her in the Rough Guide to Glamour, and that can provide you more details on her.)

Second: Yara Aranis. She is the Horse Eater, the bane of the Pentans, conceived in Hell (the daughter of the Red Emperor and Gorgorma), and the Goddess of the Reaching Moon. She is the power of the Glowline that allows the light of the Red Moon to always be Full within its boundaries.

Third: Hon-eel. She is the Artess and Dancer, the incarnation of the Red Goddess as Earth Mother, the bearer of maize, and the founder of the Lunar dynasty in Tarsh and creator of the imperial province of Oraya in the Redlands. She is the power of blood sacrifice to bring bounty from the earth.

Fourth: Jar-eel. She is the Razoress, the balance of Harmony and Death, and she is the current avatar of the Red Goddess. 

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, narsilion said:

I dont want to start a new topic, so i add my question here.

Being relatively new to Glorantha, i do not know what does the title "inspiration of Moonson" mean. What is this "inspiration"?

As far as I know, "Inspiration of Moonson" is a title and not an office, though it indicates a close personal relationship..  But what I say is not canon, not Chaosium official material.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

As far as I know, "Inspiration of Moonson" is a title and not an office

Definitely not offices! The inspirations are the four specifically noted "daughters" of the Red Emperor. (And note not all significant daughters are inspirations - the Conquering Daughter, for instance, is not one.)

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1