Gagarth Bandits

Nozbat

I'm confused .. which is not unusual or uncommon.. however...

I was looking at doing stats for the ubiquitous Gagarthi bandits that pester legitimate travellers in Prax and was considering what magic they might have. 

So looking at the Prosopædia, I find that Gagarth is the Wild Hunter, seeking lost and lonely spirits as food for his Hunt

This is not the Bandit god I was thinking of... can anyone point me in the right direction.. or give an explanation?

That's the right bandit god, look in CoR: Lightbringers for a full writeup. The same way that Gagarth hunts lost and lonely spirits, his worshipers hunt lost and lonely travelers. They are murderers, thieves, and outcasts who can ride the wind to run down their prey, then sacrifice them to turn their spirits into hate-filled whirlvishes to swell the wild hunt.

He isn't a strong god, his only Rune spells (including commons) are Extension, Sanctify, Command Whirlvish, Create Whirlvish, Windwalking, and Wind Warp, and he doesn't have any subcults or associates. Every other reasonable cult hates him and his worshipers, and they return the feeling.

Edit: I just noticed that Gagarth doesn't provide any summoning spells, despite commanding the whole Wild Hunt. Seems like once you're in, you're in forever.

Edited by Richard S.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No, this is it. Gagarth is the rapacious outsider without honor or regard for kin. It's not exactly that Gagarth is a bandit himself, but he does take in every kind of scum.

I would love to see the Great Hunt statted up some time - this seems like it should be relevant when it's out and about, but I've yet to see anything really describing what happens.

I also wonder what replaces the Whirlvish parts outside of Prax - they kinda require sands?

(I had a Gagarthi borderline hero NPC in my game - he had a "Dishonor" passion, not merely not caring about honor but actively opposing it.)

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

It's not exactly that Gagarth is a bandit himself, but he does take in every kind of scum.

If you think of Gagarth as the wild wind (including tornadoes, e.g. whirlvishes as a small version) that rips your goods out of your hands and away from you, then I think you can see Gagarth as the original bandit.

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

I also wonder what replaces the Whirlvish parts outside of Prax - they kinda require sands?

Largely invisible gyres of wind (unless they've picked up leaves or other debris to make them rather obvious).

13 hours ago, Nozbat said:

I'm confused .. which is not unusual or uncommon.. however...

I was looking at doing stats for the ubiquitous Gagarthi bandits that pester legitimate travellers in Prax and was considering what magic they might have. 

So looking at the Prosopædia, I find that Gagarth is the Wild Hunter, seeking lost and lonely spirits as food for his Hunt

This is not the Bandit god I was thinking of... can anyone point me in the right direction.. or give an explanation?

The thing is, most people don't start out their lives as bandits.  Rarely will there be a bandit community where a child is raised to be a bandit.  Bandits are people of martial skill who are forced out by their communities and who make a desperate living by preying on wayfarers.  Pretty much universally they will never start as Gagarthi as there is no place in decent society for Bandit cult initiates.  What will happen is that their membership in their original cults will lapse, due to excommunication or non attendance of rituals etc.  They will eventually fall into the company of Gagarthi bandits and they will eventually choose to initiate as Gagarthi.

All bandits are fringe dwellers who hover at the edges of larger human communities and carry off scraps.  Prax and the wastes are especially hard on bandits as even bandits need water, and water is a highly contested resource.  Given that water is so scarce, Gagarthi in Prax subsist almost entirely from milk as their fluid, substituting urine when they must.  Watering their beasts is a constant struggle for them, especially as they are often forced to hide in very arid and uninhabitable areas.  Gagarthi will almost always steal your water skins unless they have somehow overcome the limitations of their lack of a reliable water supply.  In all likelihood there is only 1 actual Gagarthi settlement at a hidden well somewhere in the Wastes, and this is where the High Priest will live.  Raider bands will come and go from this place, always at pains to keep it hidden.  Whirlvishes will cover their tracks as they approach and leave.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Gagarth is likely more important in the Underworld than in most places you will find him in the mundane world. If you don't have a psychopomp to guíde you, you will be in severe difficulties from the Wild Hunt as you enter the Underworld.

But bear in mind that there are two distinct deities who lead a Wild Hunt/Pack. Gagarth and his outlaw winds, which are particularly present in Prax and the Wastes; and Jajagappa, a Darkness demon, who commands the Hell Hounds (and is well known in Peloria). It's more likely the latter that you'll encounter entering the Underworld without proper protection.