Glyphmaster (Working Title)

Guest Vile Traveller

Guest Vile Traveller

Most of you probably know about my Glyphmaster project by now - if not, go check out the Gringle's Pawnshop forums for details and progress updates. Anyway, I've belatedly been thinking about layout. This being a PDF-only product, does it make sense to have a two-column layout? That's what I've been doing as I've written the chapters, but as you all know it's much easier to read a single-column layout on a screen. Some people might print the thing out, but the majority will only ever look at it on a screen of some sort especially with the growth of the modern tablet-thingies.

What are your thoughts? And if you have an opinion, I'd be grateful if you pop into the poll on the subject in the Pawnshop. :)

Edited by Vile
The name has arrived.

This is a good question. If your targets are PCs, Macs and tablet PCs, you might even go for a 2- or 3-column, landscape oriented document that is easy to read on a 4:3 or 16:9 screen. On the other hand, e-ink readers do their best with a 1-column layout, and definitely not with a landscape format. I am wondering the same for our new PDF-only product.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Guest Vile Traveller

From a personal viewpoint, I intend to get one of the next generation tablet-type things, because as well as e-books I'll be using it to read RPG PDFs and comics, most of which are in a print-style portrait format. Almost all of the PDFs are two-column layout, so I need something with a decent-sized screen with not to much need to shift the image about (though they are all still too small for me to read a whole 2-column A4 page if shrunk onto the screen).

A landscape format might be an idea, although there again you need to be able to read it if you fit the whole page on screen, or you lose the benefit of two columns. At the moment I'm still in favour of an A4-ish portrait layout, with one column.

For what it's worth, I have no intention of ever buying a tablet or reader of any kind. I use my smartphone (currently Win Mobile, but will probably change to something else) to look at docs sometimes, but I prefer a laptop or desktop computer to a tablet every time.

If for some reason I wanted to open Glyphmaster on my smartphone (!), I'd want as simple and friendly a layout as possible. Actually, I find PDFs are a bear to look at on the phone, but docs are fine because they sort the text out and I can bump the font up or down in size. PDF's are just a graphic, and I have to shuffle around so much that I just give up.

Guest Vile Traveller

There could be a whole series - The Man With No Glyph, For a Fistful of Glyphs, For a Few Glyphs More, The Seven Glyphmasters ... wait that last one should have been The Magnificent Glyphmasters. smiley_emoticons_seb_cowboy.gif

Actually, that's not a bad idea. It'd have to be old school, though, so Karl May books will have to be dusted off.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. It'd have to be old school, though, so Karl May books will have to be dusted off.

I am looking forward to the supplements covering the adventures of

Old Glyphhand and Glyphetou or Glypha ben Nemsi and Hadschi Halef

Glyphar ... B-)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

When can I get a copy?

Most of you probably know about my Glyphmaster project by now - if not, go check out the Gringle's Pawnshop forums for details and progress updates. Anyway, I've belatedly been thinking about layout. This being a PDF-only product, does it make sense to have a two-column layout? That's what I've been doing as I've written the chapters, but as you all know it's much easier to read a single-column layout on a screen. Some people might print the thing out, but the majority will only ever look at it on a screen of some sort especially with the growth of the modern tablet-thingies.

What are your thoughts? And if you have an opinion, I'd be grateful if you pop into the poll on the subject in the Pawnshop. :)

Guest Vile Traveller

When can I get a copy?

The beta release will be beginning of September, or thereabouts, to anyone who is able to give feedback in exchange for a mention. I can't really call it a playtest because the mechanics shouldn't throw up any surprises (and they won't be changed) - it's more of a chance for people to voice their queries and opinions and to find if more examples or clarifications are needed (and where).

Anyone who is interested in going through the draft and able to provide feedback can PM me for a copy next month.

There will be a final, cleaned-up version and an editable SRD in time for Christmas. The best gifts are free! ;)

You probably already are aware of this, but if you're going to do a single column, please do not make the column full-page width. This may make people who print out the PDF annoyed because of the empty space, but reading full-width on screen is near impossible. I think a single column of text with lotsa side-bars is good.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Vile Traveller

I have dropped off the forums recently, but the reasons are entirely AEON-related I assure you! O:)

Briefly, the SRD document will be ready shortly (a bit later than expected, but not much later). Put simply, this is an editable document put out under the OGL that contains all the rules necessary to play the classic supplements, in their original or re-published form. You could also use it to write your own supplements. There are a number of reasons why this will be the first product. It contains all the classic monsters and spells, as it uses the MRQ1 SRD, so it fulfils the original vision of the retro-clone; it will also sever as a kind of playtest document for feedback, so that I can incorporate errata as well as clarifications or examples where people call for them.

I've also been looking into artwork, websites and that sort of thing for the Quickstart and Deluxe versions. Knowing nothing whatsoever about webology, I'll have to rely on some friendly and professional advice about the latter, but hopefully I'll still get the Quickstart version ready in time for Christmas for those of you on a zero dollar budget.

Guest Vile Traveller

I haven't looked into epub yet, so I can't give a definite answer. No problem for text, obviously, but I don't know how well tables will work (if at all). Something to bear in mind, though.