Moon Rock?

g33k

Possibly other things, but as per the Glorantha Bestiary, page 181, they can be used to summon Lunes (or Selenes, if you have a Blue Moon rock).

• Like 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

9 hours ago, g33k said:

Is there a current/canonical (RQG) reference as to what Moon Rock does, how it can be used?

Depending on the strength of its light, it might be able to counter the normal cyclical effects of the moon on Lunar Rune magic.

On 1/4/2024 at 1:38 AM, Brian Duguid said:

Possibly other things, but as per the Glorantha Bestiary, page 181, they can be used to summon Lunes (or Selenes, if you have a Blue Moon rock).

Huh.
The Bestiary?!?
That wasn't going to be a place I searched for this ...

TYVM!

On 1/4/2024 at 5:21 AM, jajagappa said:

Depending on the strength of its light, it might be able to counter the normal cyclical effects of the moon on Lunar Rune magic.

I recall this from prior sources (tho I admit I'm not sure of citations at the moment); but is there any  RQG  treatment of this?

C'es ne pas un .sig

35 minutes ago, g33k said:

I recall this from prior sources (tho I admit I'm not sure of citations at the moment); but is there any  RQG  treatment of this?

Moon rocks will be covered in the upcoming Lunar cults book. Just checked, though, and they wax/wane with the Red Goddess' phases, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

... Just checked, though, and they wax/wane with the Red Goddess' phases, too.

That makes mystical sense, as they are part of the Red Moon, which in turn is part of the Red Moon Goddess.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 minute ago, g33k said:

That makes mystical sense, as they are part of the Red Moon, which in turn is part of the Red Moon Goddess.

So for a portable glow spot that doesn't diminish, you want a tooth from the Crimson Bat...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, jajagappa said:

So for a portable glow spot that doesn't diminish, you want a tooth from the Crimson Bat...

It's easy right? Just walk up to the bat, grab a tooth, then run?

I would have thought carrying bat poop might provide a short duration magical boost, based on quantity. But collecting the poop, there's a non zero chance of being caught in a deluge of excreta, resulting in horrible chaotic mutations and / or possible total dissolution. 

At the very least it would make a great trickster lie. 

Edited by EricW
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 8:23 PM, jajagappa said:

As Glowspot is a three point Rune magic (RBM 54), it's likely that Red Goddess and Yara Aranis priestesses would use Matrix Creation to make cool Glowspot items incorporating Moon Rock (Bat priests also have the spell, but have no enchant spells, but are fortunately Glowspots themselves). Imagine tiny carved cosmic Moon Rock Bindi that look like a third eye (or get a real moon rock eye from Yara Aranis with permanent Glowspot effect).

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 4

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 1/5/2024 at 8:17 PM, jajagappa said:

Moon rocks will be covered in the upcoming Lunar cults book. Just checked, though, and they wax/wane with the Red Goddess' phases, too.

I wonder whether moon rocks from the top or bottom pole would be at half strength all the time, or whether moving them takes them into tune with the roving searchlight effect.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

19 hours ago, EricW said:

It's easy right? Just walk up to the bat, grab a tooth, then run?

First you have to Heroquest to find the secrets of an ancient Hero -- nobody alive knows his origin -- named Vet Ternary Den Tist

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

In the old Troll Gods there is a write up of Annilla, and in it it specifies that 6 enc of blue moon rock is needed to provide the basis for summoning a 1 cubic metre of Selene.

Which means getting enough for a large Selene or even a medium one is not exactly portable!

Interestingly an error from that source seems to have made it into the RQG Bestiary; in troll gods it says Selene have the same stats as Shades, but then proceeds to give large ones 10d6 Str/Pow.HP  !

The RQG Bestiary then repeats the error not only copying the lesser (than shades) troll god stats for small/medium shades but also copying the large Selene's 10D6 stats. 

Somehow if there was a elemental with a super high strength it would be earth and/or Air, not a moon one.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:57 PM, Geoff R Evil said:

In the old Troll Gods there is a write up of Annilla, and in it it specifies that 6 enc of blue moon rock is needed to provide the basis for summoning a 1 cubic metre of Selene.

Which means getting enough for a large Selene or even a medium one is not exactly portable!

Interestingly an error from that source seems to have made it into the RQG Bestiary; in troll gods it says Selene have the same stats as Shades, but then proceeds to give large ones 10d6 Str/Pow.HP  !

The RQG Bestiary then repeats the error not only copying the lesser (than shades) troll god stats for small/medium shades but also copying the large Selene's 10D6 stats. 

Somehow if there was a elemental with a super high strength it would be earth and/or Air, not a moon one.

Annilla and He-Who-Moves were the ancestors of the Elder Giants - the bigger they get, the stronger they are. This behavior is entirely mythically reasonable.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis