An Ernaldan Myth - the Pilgrimage of Grace

jajagappa

For a new Nochet piece I'm working on, I got to wondering what was going on in Nochet at the time of the Dragonrise?

For reference, the Dragonrise occurs on Clayday, Harmonyweek, Earthseason in 1625.

Being Clayday, it's obviously a weekly minor holy day for Ernalda (Earth Goddesses, p.18: "Every Clayday is a holy day for Ernalda"). Every Harmonyweek is also a holy week for Uleria. In my prior Nochet material, I made this day one of the Festival days for the Ritual of Grace (Nochet: Queen of Cities, p.247), a festival associated with the Grace Temple. As I noted there: "The Ritual of Grace marks Ernalda’s great blessing in Harmony week of Earthseason. Ernalda forgives one designated deity as determined by the Seers." Grace is about blessing and forgiveness, so always felt appropriate for the date.

But what was in progress when the Dragonrise occurred? For that I needed a myth. Conveniently, Chaosium's Mythology book is now available in its Cults of RuneQuest series to help envision one. The myth feels like it belongs somewhere near the intersection of the Green Age and the Golden Age, so I went with the Golden Age map. The events of the Broken Ring rising in the night sky represent a progression, and that idea of progression resonated, so the myth is that of a progression by Ernalda to visit the world. The points in the world that stood out for a progression were the Camps at the four cardinal points, with a return to the center.  So, here's my first cut at Ernalda's Pilgrimage of Grace.

The Myth of Ernalda's Pilgrimage of Grace

In the God Time – some might say it was still the Green Age, others that it was the Golden Age – Ernalda stepped out of Gata’s Womb with the thought to bring gifts of the Heart of the World to all the corners of the world and to bring back gifts from those places to the Heart so that all might share in the world’s bounty. From the Great Garden, Ernalda chose what she found most pleasant or useful, and then set out upon her task.

Ernalda went south first for the land was verdant and rich and her uncle Pamalt dwelt there. She greeted Pamalt and gave him a necklace of colorful stones and then came to the Red Camp of Innocence. Imarja was there, and the two exchanged gifts, each a gift of innocent joy.

As Ernalda departed, she was met by the Delegation of the Birds. They gave her the Cloak of All Feathers, but made her swear to bring it to the Black Camp for inspection.

As Ernalda continued her journey, she was met by either a Dwarf or a Fox[1] who wished for her cloak. Ernalda offered other gifts, but they were most insistent. Ernalda found Another Way, though, and completed her journey.

Ernalda went west then towards the place where the land was shrouded and the Luatha dwelt there, and she came to the Black Camp of Introspection. Her mother was there, too, and Ernalda greeted Asrelia and the two exchanged gifts. Ernalda gave up the Cloak of Feathers, but Asrelia found it flawed for certain feathers were missing, damaged, or bent. Asrelia gave Ernalda the Sack of Curse-stones which had gathered at the Black Camp, and made her swear to bring it to the White Camp for cleansing.

As Ernalda departed the Black Camp, her aunt, Ty Kora Tek, met her and gave her a further burden. Two pails she had – one with milk and one with blood – and she tasked Ernalda to carry both to the White Camp, too, without spilling a drop.

Along her journey, Ernalda was confronted by Lodril who wished that she would experience his Fire. Ernalda was in a hurry, though, bearing heavy burdens. Lodril offered to bear the burdens instead, and was most insistent, even shaking the Earth so the drops spilled from the pails of milk and blood. But Ernalda found Another Way, luring Lodril into a cave and sealing it with one of the Curse-stones she carried.

Ernalda then continued north to the place where the land was white and bright where the Altinae dwelt, and she came to the White Camp of Wisdom. Chalana Arroy was there, and the two greeted each other and exchanged gifts. Ernalda gave up the Sack of Curse-stones. The White-bearded Measurer claimed it was short of stones, but Chalana Arroy accepted it anyway as well as the pails of milk and blood. Chalana Arroy gave Ernalda the Cup of Life to bring to the Heart of the World, and the Measurer gave her a White Book filled with Wise Words for the Yellow Camp.

Ernalda departed the White Camp and continued on her journey. She reached a place where two Dragons sat, each upon a hill: one Dark, one Light. They each demanded that she stop and dwell with them and pour the blessings of the Cup of Life upon their chosen hill. But Ernalda found Another Way. Taking two pages from the White Book, she satiated each dragon with a Word of Wisdom, and completed her journey.

Ernalda finally went east to the place where the land was radiant with promise. The god Harono sat there above the Earth and bathed in pale light. Ernalda greeted Harono and the two exchanged gifts. Ernalda gave up the White Book of Wise Words, but Harono found it flawed for Two Wise Words were missing. Harono asked for the Cup of Life, too, but Ernalda refused to give that for she was bound to bring that to the Heart of the World. Ernalda offered another gift instead – a place for the Light at the center of the world within Ernalda’s Garden. Harono accepted this offer and gave Ernalda the Orb of Bright Joy to bear with her, wrapped in a Mantle of Light.

Ernalda then took the Orb of Bright Joy and carried it back to the Heart of the World. She poured out the Cup of Life there and the Garden was enlivened. She placed the Orb of Bright Joy above the Garden and its radiance brought forth Flowers, revealed hidden Jewels, and warmed the world with Grace.

Ernalda was not finished, though. She reached into her pocket then, and took out a feather, a curse-stone, a wise word, and a thread from the Mantle of Light. These were treasures she saved from her journey. She made gifts of these to those she had met – blessings to hand down in time to others. And as she contemplated her journey from Innocence to Introspection, from Wisdom to Enlightenment, and her return to the Heart, it was in her own heart to also offer forgiveness to one of the deities who barred her path. She did so, though she never told anyone which one she forgave.

Ernalda blessed the worlds then and sent her blessings out from the Heart of the World to the four corners and the four Camps, and the world was filled with Ernalda’s Grace.

[copyright 2024 - Harald Smith]

[1] The myth varies, but popular retellings usually say it was the Fox.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thinking about it after posting, I realized that any of the distinct stages of the myth could/would be distinct myths, too. E.g. there are myths of Ernalda and the Sandals of Innocence, Ernalda and the Fox, Ernalda and the Dwarf, Ernalda and the Goose-feather Cloak, Ernalda and the Keeper of Wisdom, Ernalda and Brighteye, etc. Initiates, of course, know the distinct myths and the implications of the myths, and can fill in the "blanks" that are glossed over in the larger festival ritual.

Ernalda's departure from the Camp of Innocence implies the end of Innocence (of some form or another) during the Green Age. She discovers, or others point out, her nakedness so barters with the birds for a feathered cloak (somewhat similar to the tale of Orane and the Necklace of Enlivenment). 

Ernalda must undertake burdensome tasks in the Camp of Introspection under the domination of her own mother. 

I always think of the White God (the white-bearded Measurer) of the north as a rather cold, heartless figure (and conniving, in some capacity) bound by his measures of wisdom. He gets crushed later when Umath falls, but clearly Ernalda finds a way to best him. 

And at the end, Ernalda is the one who invites or welcomes in Yelm rather than having Yelm imposed by others. Perhaps it is the fulfillment of another bargain, or perhaps there is more to the story...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

But what is the teaching of this myth? 

That the Earth continues to offer her grace and blessings throughout the world/land. The choice of order of the camps visited is also a progression from innocence to introspection to wisdom to enlightenment and finally to the giving back of blessings for what has been learned, including the possibility of forgiveness through what has been gained.

(Note: Myths in my mind are not necessarily morals or teachings, but also describe what is or why the world is the way it is. However, I think there are pieces within that provide more details or thoughts or additional teachings.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

I’m curious about the fact that Ernalda keeps a small part of every gift for herself to return to the center. Does that mean there is always another way for the Earth to receive the gifts it deserves?

Possibly, or it may mean she has gifts to distribute when she returns home.

• Like 1

It seems that part of the moral or theme is also that imperfections are to be expected, especially in the face of adversity, but one must press on regardless, somehow. This seems a very fitting lesson for the Esrolian mindset. Compromises are a part of survival.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Biles said:

The term 'Pilgrimage of Grace' in English history

The general reference I've used in the Nochet book for the event is the Festival of Grace (or sometimes the Ritual of Grace). That doesn't really fit for the myth itself, though, which is a journey - pilgrimage feeling like the closest type of journey (e.g. "A pilgrimage is a journey, often into an unknown or foreign place, where a person goes in search of new or expanded meaning about their self, others, nature, or a higher good through the experience.") Possibly could use Tour or Progress instead, but don't quite capture the same meaning. 

Using the more simplified Golden Age map from the Guide (p.681), this is the general outline of the mythic journey. I realized it has to start by heading southeast (in order to naturally form an Earth rune) and that it makes sense to meet Imarja there (at a point between Innocence and Enlightenment) both at the beginning and at the return. 

And at the return there is an interesting conjunction with the Imarja tale of the Three Houses from the Esrolia book and Ernalda's sacrifice of Imarja to gain the power of the Gods. (And by making such a sacrifice, there is a need to share the blessings and both give and gain forgiveness for the act. Likely a bit more playing around with the structure/form of the myth to incorporate those aspects, but the path makes sense.)

image.png.3d4597f1117edf4bdf3d275f4bc30f3f.png

On 1/22/2024 at 5:52 AM, Runeblogger said:

I’m curious about the fact that Ernalda keeps a small part of every gift for herself to return to the center. Does that mean there is always another way for the Earth to receive the gifts it deserves?

Mythic justification for Esrolian tax collection.

Said both in jest and in all seriousness...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Martin said:

I wonder...maybe whether meeting Imarja comes in the area of the Heron Hegemony? She is a bird goddess and that area is ruled by the council of birds?

IMO the Heron Hegemony on the God Learner maps is just a projection of Suvaria onto the greater mythical map. There are no surviving pieces of evidence for any heron activity in Vyimorni or Agimori lands, or islands.

Zzabur's wars tell us about "Beakies" washed into the Neliomi Sea by the Solkathi flood which drowned the greater portion of Ernaldela (the lowlands north of the Spike). Maybe we don't need to look all the way to Keetela to get some birdheads there. Possibly the mythical antecessors of the Durulz re-created in Remakerela to populate a Godtime-ish EWF core region? Descendants of Imarja?

If so, why were they cursed by Yelm? Did they resist his usurpation of sovereignty over the world?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, Martin said:

I wonder...maybe whether meeting Imarja comes in the area of the Heron Hegemony? She is a bird goddess and that area is ruled by the council of birds?

That was where I initially thought to place her, but then I realized the ritual path has to form a square so has to start at Ganderland. Imarja as the Creatrix thus is both the beginning and the end of the path.

• Like 1