Enemies of Ernalda

Bohemond

47 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

In most cases, you have no way of knowing the identity of the people whose ceremony you're intersecting with, because they look like the god to you, and vice-versa. 

I think that you can see who they are, in most cases. Sometimes it is really obvious who the HeroQuestors are, at other times they wear masks or are similarly cloaked, very rarely they identify so well with the deities that they are hard to distinguish. But, most of the time, it is not important who the HeroQuestors are.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/27/2024 at 1:26 AM, John Biles said:

Yelmalions on a heroquest about Ernalda's days with Yelm who mistake the whole thing for a kidnapping.

Oh, a very "Shakesperian Comedy" take on the scenario!!!
Love this one!

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Depending on whether you're using the canonical timeline -- and when this season is happening -- you might also go with the Lunars as bad-guys:  they are working to undercut Ernalda's independence, to get her to accept a Lunar alliance.

C'es ne pas un .sig

17 hours ago, Bohemond said:

When heroquesting, you can't really pick an enemy that way (unless you have really powerful heroquesitng magic, like the Lunars do). In most cases, you have no way of knowing the identity of the people whose ceremony you're intersecting with, because they look like the god to you, and vice-versa. 

Possibly, though the way I like to interpret God Time is that it loves narrative synergy. Set up the right conditions (jajagappa's idea of casting yourself as an adversary) and it might just find them for you.

Agreed that it would be powerful Heroquest magic, but I don't think it'd be limited solely to the Lunars. The Lunars may be better at it/more systematic, but it's something anyone magically/narratively powerful might just be able to pull off (either intentionally or unintentionally).

From a gameplay perspective, that would both raise the stakes (oh, the person we're looking for is a real threat) and also lead into a real-world detective plot (so, who has enough of a narrative synergy with the myth we've just experienced to be able to distort our myth to their story?).

Sorry I'm late, but...

I would have said Chaos (old, boring but true...).

After all, the Devil is currently buried "in" Ernalda, just down the road under the Block. Similarly, apparently his eye is also basically buried in 'her'... maybe something would happen with such a ceremony so close at hand...

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:14 AM, Bohemond said:

I thought about Oakfed or Daga, because this is happening in Fire Season when they would be strong. But do either of those have enough actual followers to produce a good fight scenario.

I once did a huge campaign arc in which the Lunars (with their Yelm priests and other magicians like the Red School of Masks had contrived to summon Daga to weaken all the Praxian tribes without access to sources of water (like the Zola Fel), and the PCs had to do a huge re-enact of Orlanths defeat of Aroka, travelling in a huge spiral around Pavis collecting various winds from various foes along the way.

it climaxed with fighting the Sea dragon at the centre of the Puzzle Canal, and once it was defeated by the parties Wind Lord leader (using all the collected winds in the battle), while the rest of the party battled the Coders who had been sent to stop them, they freed the Thunder Bird and brought rain to Prax.

That might be a little more than you were looking for, but maybe it will give you idea. maybe Windwhistler can be your stand in for both sun and dragon. 

Oakfed is a spirit that can be summoned by Praxian shamans, maybe a bunch of them from the fire spirits spirit society? Let them summon a bunch of fire elementals, boost them with Oakfeds Create Wildfire spell? Throw around a bunch of ignite spells, try to burn up a bunch of plant offerings because Oakfed is hungry and thinks he deserves them all? A few Praxian warriors just for variety maybe? The Impala are the most fond of Fire among the major tribes (little guys who are expert missile combatants, with Fire Arrow?), but the spirit societies are cross-tribal so whoever you like really. 

• Like 2