Classic Fantasy editions

Hi, crossposted from the BRPS FB group :)!

I Have a question about Classic Fantasy (for BRPS). I noticed that one of my players' copy has a different text from mine. I guess his must be a later edition (although they're both (c) 2009) as it has better layout and a section on miniatures. However there is also a big substantive difference in the Spell Lore table. That is, to use Uncommon spells you need to have at least 100% in the skill, whereas in my copy you just need to have 80%. I think mine is more reasonable both with respect to the starting Classic Fantasy skill level (about 50%) and the mapping with D&D: Uncommon spells correspond to the 3rd level spells, so about 6th level characters -> 75-90% skill range. What do you think? And what is the history behind these two versions? (I might have known back then but 15 years have passed!)

I am especially curious about the latter as I have more or less made my mind up about the former...

Thanks in advance,

Alex

I don't know if Classic Fantasy authors are on this forum, but I think you can ask the publisher of the Mythras version, @lawrence.whitaker.

He certainly doesn't have the anwer, but at least he's in touch with the authors.

Edit : as a matter of fact, maybe you could get some of your answers in the (free) Mythras Imperative version of CF.

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

My bad, i got my Learys mixed up. 😉

Don't blame yourself, I suspect they were already mixed up. 😉

7 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

This is correct. Rod is the person to talk to. 🙂

SDLeary

I'm surprised I got that right before coffee. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

12 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Rod Leary's the one you need for this. However, he's not been too well lately, so that delay any answer you're seeking.

Thanks! It was more of a curiosity anyway. Wishing Rod a speedy recovery!

Alex

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Rod Leary's the one you need for this. However, he's not been too well lately, so that delay any answer you're seeking.

I hope it's nothing serious. Best wishes towards him.

• Like 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.