Humakti "double damage" v weapons

Shiningbrow

17 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

My own interpretation is that when the edge touches skin, the remaining damage is doubled.  Simple.

I'd think that as well... except I'd say it also affects spirits (although, that's certainly not RAW)

On 2/23/2024 at 4:27 PM, Squaredeal Sten said:

My own interpretation is that when the edge touches skin, the remaining damage is doubled.  Simple.

So you would double it before subtracting natural hide armour? I'm not going to quibble about skeletons or dryads or elementals, your intention is clear in that respect.

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

So you would double it before subtracting natural hide armour? I'm not going to quibble about skeletons or dryads or elementals, your intention is clear in that respect.

Good question.   Another definition is called for then.   If we are consistent skin is hide,  our skin is thinner than an elephant's skin but biologically very similar.

But I do see that it would be unfair to  an opponent with chaotic feature= 9pt skin, and Far Be it from me to have an anti Chaos bias.  

Luckily the game rules themselves say such skin has "armor points".  So I propose to follow the game's terminology.  Sheet  metal. Scales, thick hide, layered fabric,  it's all "armor" if the rules define armor points for it.

How is this?  Let's say whenever the edge touches MEAT OR SKELETON OR. ? ectopllasm ?  the remaining damage is doubled.  So I  would only double damage after  parries, "armor" points  and magical protection.  Any damage to a parrying weapon is part of the parry and before armor. so no doubling at that point.

The doubling will occur when the sword begins to actually take life (or un-life), which I believe is mythologically appropriate to Humakt.

• Like 1

Guys, I think we're all really REALLY over-thinking this.

Except for a very few limited circumstances, you have to penetrate armor with each strike of your weapons. The rule doesn't finagle about what type of armor or the armor's origin. It doesn't matter whether it's bull hide on a charging aurochs or cuirboulli on a Praxian, when the armor is penetrated the remaining damage is doubled. Simple.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:56 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Should a blessed parrying weapon do extra damage?

Yes. 

What if you specifically attack their weapon to destroy it?

Yes

Is that a "Non-Humakti" thing to do,

No, as long as the fight honorable (LB 108).

and does it make a difference if the wielder is illuminated?

No.

How does one specifically attack an opponents weapon?  What a can of worms for mechanics - how do they party or dodge that?  Maybe they say "I don't bother parrying" so there is no weapon to attack?  My mind boggles ...

BTW, guess my Glorantha does vary.  I think every one of Scotty's ansers is wrong   

On further thought, I can imagine situations where I agree with Scotty.  So xxxing that part out.

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

How does one specifically attack an opponents weapon?

I don't know if there are mechanics for that, I think there might have been in previous editions, but one way is just to whack it while it's lying on the ground. But then I guess the HP-as-AP numbers might be wrong, as weapon stats are specifically written with parrying in mind. Deflecting a blade is different to taking the force full-on.

So yeah, maybe not a sensible question.

• Like 1