Gaming Conventions?

Hey, all. I just went to my first gaming convention since 1990(!) and I was bummed that Chaosium didn't have any kind of presence. Does the company do gaming conventions? Or maybe just the big ones? There were several hundred eager TTRPG gamers in attendance (Total Confusion). It was fun! 

Also, unrelated: Does Chaosium have a Discord channel?

Chaosium usually attends GenCon, I think; and often does "PAX" events.

They have begun running their own "Chaosium Con" (2022-2023 so far) in Ann Arbor, MI (April).
The 2024 con-registration is here:  https://www.chaosium.com/blogchaosium-con-2024-registration-is-live-see-you-in-ann-arbor-in-april/

There's several Euro events that get love from Chaosium & fans, across the pond; and one or more Aussie events down under.

Chaosium is "often" at other events... but I think it depends heavily each year on specific individuals' schedules.  There's enough events -- and few enough Chaosium folk -- that they cannot attend all the con's... not even all the "big" cons!

DunDraCon (out in California) is a long-running event drawing 1500+ attendees every Presidents' Day weekend.  It was for a long time Chaosium's "home" event.  Greg Stafford met Steve Perrin thru activities there, and Steve was on the DDC "Convention Committee" for many years.  But now that they've become a world-straddling multinational ("The sun never rises on the Chaosium empire!") they have nobody in the area any longer, and attendance isn't making good financial sense to them.  Most years, I find a few grognards wondering "what happened" or muttering about the Good Old Days when Chaosium was Big News (albeit reliable news) at DDC.  There was *ONE* game of RQ there this year, and several CoC's.

Chaosium maintains an "Organized Play" program... well, semi-organized (they are, after all, the Chaosium, not the Orderium), and regularly pass on Con info to those GM's in their "Cult of Chaos."  Tagging @Symphony Entertainment for possible further info she may have for this thread!

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

17 hours ago, GothmogIV said:

Does the company do gaming conventions? Or maybe just the big ones?

As noted above, Chaosium Con is coming up in Ann Arbor in April (or for those Down Under, there's a Chaosium Con there in June).

They were at both Origins and GenCon for big conventions last year, and presumably this year as well.

They were just at Genghis Con in Denver: Genghis Con kicks off in Denver tomorrow - Chaosium's Jeff Richard, David Larkins and Rick Meints will be there - Chaosium Inc.

They were at PAX Unplugged in Philadelphia back in Dec: We're at PAX Unplugged in Philiadelphia PA this weekend, Dec 1-2 2023 - Chaosium Inc.

And were at Dragonmeet in London that same month: Chaosium will be at Dragonmeet 2023 - Chaosium Inc.

Usually if you want updates on where they are going to be, I suggest either:

• subscribing to their newsletter (listed at bottom of their website page)
  • subscribing to one of their social media feeds noted here: Forums & Social (chaosium.com)
  • Like 2