Chaosium announces The Basic Roleplaying Design Challenge - over $10,000 in cash prizes for independent creators

***A large list of expletives*** ...That's a lot of possible games... even if only half come to some sort of fruition... 

You're right @Atgxtg.. it can only benefit the players... though I hope that they are not all CoC .. I'd like to see more alternate Earth games

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nozbat said:

... even if only half come to some sort of fruition... 

Honestly, I think 10% is more likely than half.
Still, that'd be twenty new products!!!

Also note, the "design" was pretty wide-open, and it's very possible that individual adventures, BRP sourcebooks/settings, and other content might be among the products  pitched; it's not restricted to full "games."

(and I honestly hope to be mistaken, and that it's closer to half than to 10% ! )

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2024 at 11:38 AM, Atgxtg said:

195 entries! Wow! I think all the people who play BRP are the ones who will really win this contest. That's a lot of content.

Wow!  I thought it would be like 30. 

Congratulations on the impressive community involvement!

23 minutes ago, Ian Ollmann said:

Wow!  I thought it would be like 30. 

Me too.

This could really address one of the game's major weaknesses, a lack of products compared to other major RPGs. 

I really hope a lot of the "also rans" make it to Drivethru. I think that would draw more attention to the system and bring in new players.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I was one of the people who submitted. I would love to start beta-testing what I have done. The thing I couldn't find anywhere were the rules for after submission. Do we need to keep our game under wraps until they do their judging?

I emailed them, but with all the cons, including GenCon, I totally understand that they are probably too busy to respond. 

Maybe someone here has an idea? (I am really excited and chomping at the bit to get some (out of house) people testing)

They don't own any rights to anything you've submitted so I don't see why you'd need to keep anything secret.  You definitely won't get any responses from them until several days after gencon.

20 hours ago, mbielaczyc said:

So, I was one of the people who submitted. I would love to start beta-testing what I have done. The thing I couldn't find anywhere were the rules for after submission. Do we need to keep our game under wraps until they do their judging?

I emailed them, but with all the cons, including GenCon, I totally understand that they are probably too busy to respond. 

Maybe someone here has an idea? (I am really excited and chomping at the bit to get some (out of house) people testing)

Chaosium was very clear that you retain all rights to your submission.
You could publish it today, if you judged it ready.  Of course, that could affect your chances of winning a contest aimed at getting products to publication...   😉

I would go ahead with private playtest (possibly asking for NDA's from playtest groups); I wouldn't release a "public beta" ruleset... but that's just me.
You can literally do what you want here.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...

@MOB I think Chaosium has more submissions than they expected -- certainly a great many of them, even if expected! -- and I'm not thinking y'all would be done, yet!

But might it be possible to get any hint  to progress; such as having "most" the submissions read, or having eliminated 1/3 of them, or etc?

TYVM

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/12/2024 at 12:57 PM, g33k said:

@MOB I think Chaosium has more submissions than they expected -- certainly a great many of them, even if expected! -- and I'm not thinking y'all would be done, yet!

But might it be possible to get any hint  to progress; such as having "most" the submissions read, or having eliminated 1/3 of them, or etc?

TYVM

We have almost finished reviewing them all and putting together the shortlist. There were a lot of entries, far many more than we anticipated.

• Like 10
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, MOB said:

We have almost finished reviewing them all and putting together the shortlist. There were a lot of entries, far many more than we anticipated.

TYVM !

I imagine there was some mixture of delight & dismay at
the size of the submission pool (& consequent work to wade
through them all)... as they say, "but it's a good problem!"

Does Chaosium plan to do any tracking/announcing of the types of submissions?  e.g. "97 full RPG's, 42 setting/sourcebooks, 57 adventures" etc?
And/or genre... "hardish" sci-fi, "softish" sci-fi, high fantasy, modern urban fantasy, science-fantasy, horror, cyberpunk, historical, etc etc etc...

I admit to quite a bit of curiousity about

all

those

projects !!!

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 hours ago, Nozbat said:

lol @g33k... you need a quick injection of delayed gratification... 

<wipes froth from corner of mouth, in a dignified fashion>

"I have no notion what you could mean, sir."

• Haha 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 weeks later...

The anticipation is killing me. 🤪

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Sounds like they got swamped.

Look on the bright side, better this than having to cancel it for lack on entries. 

This shows that BRP has a future. 

• Like 1

It took me a little while to realize that I’d stopped working on my entry after I’d submitted it.

Something to do with thinking that if it didn’t get chosen, it wasn’t worth it.

I’ve since decided to finish it regardless. I hope nobody else falls for the same defeatist conclusion that I did.

The ORC license is an awesome open door of opportunity, regardless of the outcome of this Design Challenge.

• Like 2

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

7 minutes ago, LivingTriskele said:

It took me a little while to realize that I’d stopped working on my entry after I’d submitted it.

Not everyone who lost of American Idol failed to have a career; and not everyone who won had much of a career either.

I’ve since decided to finish it regardless. I hope nobody else falls for the same defeatist conclusion that I did.

Some might,. But unless they delete thier work it is still there if they change thier minds.

The ORC license is an awesome open door of opportunity, regardless of the outcome of this Design Challenge.

Exactly. If you went to the trouble of writing something suitable for submission for a OGL game, then why not sell it yourself as a PDF on DriveThru? I man you did all that work. And if you sell some copies the money might be worth more than the prizes for winning.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 8:58 AM, LivingTriskele said:

I  definitely took a break from the "meet the deadline" push; and without the deadline, it was a bit of a struggle to get back to writing.

It was always my intent to complete the project, though ...  at least so far as a playable draft ruleset, something I could pass around to other GM's in my friend-and-acquaintance circle & get feedback, etc.  And so I'm writing again.

I'm unclear that -- without getting at least some level of Chaosium approbation & consequent marketing push -- I'll be willing to self-fund the artists & layout people needed to bring it up to "publication-ready" standards.  That's an issue for after I get to the 2nd-draft stage, I think.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/30/2024 at 7:42 PM, LivingTriskele said:

The anticipation is killing me. 🤪

You aren't the first to die; you won't be the last.

When Chaosium finally announces the finalists & the winner, we shall hold a wake for the Honored Dead...

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, g33k said:

I  definitely took a break from the "meet the deadline" push; and without the deadline, it was a bit of a struggle to get back to writing.

Same. Actually, my problem is the number of writing projects I have. But my submission was at a playable stage and needs only a ton of playtesting and refining now, so I'm sure I'll continue working on it. But I'm also uncertain whether I have the resources to actually publish it without the funds to pay someone for good layout, illustrations etc. Let's see how this competition goes and then hope for a lottery win... 😕

Edited by Susimetsa

• MOB unpinned this topic