Future BRUGE Supplements

• Scout changed the title to Future BRUGE Supplements

That could be your part of the just announced Chaosium BRP Design Challenge @Scout?

I think the community should be stepping up and filling in the gaps.. magic and a bestiary would be a great start 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scout said:

Any plans for a future magic supplement and bestiary supplement for BRUGE?

I believe that someone @Chaosium has said that there's a Bestiary in the works... maybe @Jason D?

I cannot find that reference, however, so I could very well be mistaken.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

We don't want to overlap with stuff that's in the official pipeline. This is partly because we don't want to hurt sales of Chaosium products. And partly because we don't too overlapping effort - we might not want dozens of different implementations of the same thing! 

You know what would be cool - if Chaosium would host a central DB of third-party ORC content...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nozbat said:

It was posted earlier today here

My understanding is that this challenge is meant to help publishing games, and not supplements. Even though, of course, games contain material that can be used in other games.

35 minutes ago, Mugen said:

games.

From my understanding it’s both…

Build your Setting

One of the cores of any game or campaign is the setting. With the ability to easily customize BRP, players can rely on knowing the core game mechanics, but experience settings from the mundane to the fantastic, from the prehistoric to the far future. Leveraging the equipment lists by era and the optional rules, a game designer can tailor Basic Roleplaying to model any setting you need.

Writers and game designers can take their original settings, or see if they can license an existing one, to produce their own setting book. They can choose not to include any rules and rely on the core Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine book separately, or include the rules that they need!

Augment other BRP-based games

A gamemaster creating their own house campaign can easily adapt any BRP-based product to another one. They can bring in creatures from RuneQuest into a BRP game, add Allegiance to a Call of Cthulhu game, or make other similar changes.

This creates an opportunity for game designers to create products that will work with all BRP games. Some of these ideas could include:

• A tome of sorcery spells that emulate a certain magical style
  • A bestiary of creatures to challenge players in a post-apocalyptic world
  • A detailed equipment guide for a cyberpunk game

There are lots of options.. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mugen said:

My understanding is that this challenge is meant to help publishing games, and not supplements. Even though, of course, games contain material that can be used in other games.

As part of submission, entrants will need to provide: 

• A pitch for their game (both in long and short form).
  • A production budget for their game.
  • An outline on how the winnings from the BRP Design Challenge will help bring their game to life 
  • A competitor market analysis of their game, showcasing where it fits in the market as a product.
  • How the BRP rules have been used in their game. 
  • What makes their use of the BRP system, their setting, and/or the gameplay experience unique.

(My emphasise)… as said elsewhere, it’s a VC-like pitch for seed funding new BRP powered games as commercial ventures. It doesn’t specifically exclude supplements, but it is very hard to see how such things would qualify.

In so far as it stimulates an increase in the diversity and variety of BRP powered games, I’m intrigued to see what the outcome of the contest is. Doesn’t appeal to me at all, although it will be interesting to see what games result from this. But this, on the face of it, is not in the immediate future going to directly stimulate the publication of supplements one could adapt to one’s own games.

• Like 3