The Pendragon: Core Rulebook and Pendragon: The Grey Knight are coming on June 12th!

gpqyz-uxcae-sc5.jpeg

Will you fight to rid the world of injustice, or use clout and power to take advantage of those beneath you?

The Pendragon: Core Rulebook and Pendragon: The Grey Knight are coming on June 12th!

Please note if the physical version is not available in your location, you can purchase the PDF on release day from Chaosium.com and get the cost of the PDF taken off the physical book when it is available.

• Like 6

Hmmm... the wording here is confusing and seems to indicate that you might always have to buy the physical book, if it is available in your location. And that the PDF will be available only if the physical book is not. I realize that that may not be so, but the wording is confusing.

9 hours ago, MOB said:

Please note if the physical version is not available in your location, you can purchase the PDF on release day from Chaosium.com and get the cost of the PDF taken off the physical book when it is available.

Also I assume that this might depend if the place is part of the Bits-and-mortar network?

7 hours ago, Morien said:

Also I assume that this might depend if the place is part of the Bits-and-mortar network?

My guess is that remark is because of the different warehouses they use. So on the 12th it might be available only on US and UK at first, for example, so you can buy the pdf and wait until the books arrive on the AU/EU/CA warehouses to buy the physical version. 

3 hours ago, cyberlobster said:

My guess is that remark is because of the different warehouses they use. So on the 12th it might be available only on US and UK at first, for example, so you can buy the pdf and wait until the books arrive on the AU/EU/CA warehouses to buy the physical version. 

That is correct, nothing to do with Bits & Mortar. You can only get the PDF from a Bits & Mortar store if they've sold you the physical book, which means they have it in stock. They are not permitted to sell PDFs on their own, or give out PDFs with preorders for physical books they don't have in stock. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MOB said:

That is correct, nothing to do with Bits & Mortar. You can only get the PDF from a Bits & Mortar store if they've sold you the physical book, which means they have it in stock. They are not permitted to sell PDFs on their own, or give out PDFs with preorders for physical books they don't have in stock. 

Let me expand on my supposition.

If someone buys the PDF directly from Chaosium, will they get the discount on the physical book on
1.) ANY local game store, or
2.) does the store need to be part of the Bits & Mortar, or
3.) do they need to order the physical book from chaosium.com online as well?

Option 3 wouldn't make sense in context of 'in your location' (well, I guess it could be the warehouse thing), hence the question if the store is part of the Bits & Mortar or not, and if it matters? Based on your comment it doesn't, but in case there was a misunderstanding regarding what I meant, it would be nice to get that confirmed for sure, before there will be some disgruntled PDF-buyers without a discount from their local game store.

Edited by Morien
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Morien said:

If someone buys the PDF directly from Chaosium, will they get the discount on the physical book on

Option 3 wouldn't make sense in context of 'in your location' (well, I guess it could be the warehouse thing)…

3). You get the discount if you order direct from chaosium.com

And it’s the warehouse thing. I mean, you could apply your PDF discount to get a book shipped to you at great expense from the other side of the planet, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Morien said:

Let me expand on my supposition.

Option 3 wouldn't make sense in context of 'in your location' (well, I guess it could be the warehouse thing), hence the question if the store is part of the Bits & Mortar or not, and if it matters? Based on your comment it doesn't, but in case there was a misunderstanding regarding what I meant, it would be nice to get that confirmed for sure, before there will be some disgruntled PDF-buyers without a discount from their local game store.

Just to get clear...

The "free PDF with purchase" policy at Bits&Mortar stores is entirely separate from purchases via Chaosium.com

You cannot mix'n'match.

If you buy the PDF from Chaosium, the discount-coupon for the printed copy *only* applies to a purchase at Chaosium.

Similarly:  if you buy the printed book from your Bits&Mortar FLGS, then your *only* source of free-PDF is the Bits&Mortar link that your FLGS sends to you.

The fact that a  buyer ends up with a net transaction of "free PDF" is simply so that the buyer doesn't feel incentivized to choose one program over the other.  They are not the "same" program, and their offers do not intermingle.

(Basically:  it's impractical for the publisher & the retailer to exchange sales info, which would be needed to honor one anothers' offers; plus, it'd be grossly unfair to ask a retailer to give-away print copies that they paid a distributor for, simply because you bought a PDF directly from Chaosium)

Edited by g33k
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, g33k said:

The "free PDF with purchase" policy at Bits&Mortar stores is entirely separate from purchases via Chaosium.com

Yes

12 hours ago, g33k said:

You cannot mix'n'match.

Correct

12 hours ago, g33k said:

If you buy the PDF from Chaosium, the discount-coupon for the printed copy *only* applies to a purchase at Chaosium.

Similarly:  if you buy the printed book from your Bits&Mortar FLGS, then your *only* source of free-PDF is the Bits&Mortar link that your FLGS sends to you.

Yes and Yes

12 hours ago, g33k said:

The fact that a  buyer ends up with a net transaction of "free PDF" is simply so that the buyer doesn't feel incentivized to choose one program over the other.  They are not the "same" program, and their offers do not intermingle.

Yes. 

• Helpful 1

1 minute ago, Update Your Username said:

Outside of the photos from the Con I haven't seen anything about the leatherette edition being released on the 12th. Does anyone know if it is coming out on the 12th

The Pendragon leatherette will be released alongside the hardcover and PDF.

1 minute ago, Update Your Username said:

and if the whole "buy the pdf and get a discount on the physical" also applies to special editions?

Yes.

The PDFs are absolutely gorgeous! Well done, everyone! I can't wait for the physical copies to arrive!

Sooooo...when do we get the Campaign Kit, the Gamemaster's Handbook, the Noble's Handbook, and Knights and Ladies Adventurous?

• Like 2

From review and some posts it sounds like there's surprising bit of errata, mistakes, typos etc... in these the 6e Rulebook and Grey Knight.

What do you all think the odds are that these are fixed in a second printing down the road? Maybe about the time the GMs book drops? Or, what are the odds of them also releasing a combined Core Rulebook/GMs book at that time (with revisions)?

EDIT: Also does Chaosium send you a PDF even if you buy from a local store just like Modiphius does, or do you have to order from them directly to get the pdf included?

Edited by Metalzoic

21 minutes ago, Metalzoic said:

What do you all think the odds are that these are fixed in a second printing down the road?

Chaosium usually does a second printing once the first sells out, so hopefully Pendragon sells well.

21 minutes ago, Metalzoic said:

Also does Chaosium send you a PDF even if you buy from a local store just like Modiphius does

You get the free PDF with a physical copy in one of 2 distinct ways- order directly from Chaosium, or order from a retailer that participates in the Bits and Mortar program https://www.bits-and-mortar.com . In the later case you download the PDF from the B&M site, not Chaosium.

Edited by Jens

8 minutes ago, Metalzoic said:

Now to decide to buy or wait for a fixed version

The fixed version could take years... if you buy the current version now, you should also get the updated PDF whenever the new book ships (the updated PDF is generally only released once the updated version ships).

True, but I don't ever actually read or use PDFs, kind of anti-PDF actually, ha!. Physical is all that counts for me. The only reason I asked about the PDF above is because if I buy something I want to make sure I get it all and don't shortchange myself.

Anyone know if all the new rules tweaks and changes in 6th edition are also in the Starter Set (other than character creation)?

Because if so could that book basically be used as a rules addendum for previous editions, rather than needing the full 6the book?