Basic questions about magic

Zalain

Hello all,

i got a couple of questions about magic, and probably they will generate more:

when casting spells against a not voluntary target, is needed a POW vs POW. But, what happens with the magic points of the caster, if the target resist?

until now, i have played the caster can keep concentrated in the spell and try again in the following assault.

To increase chance of success casting a spell or resistance roll (POWvsPOW) can be augmented with runes or passions? or only Meditation, Ritual practices, singing, dancing or an "apropiate skill"?

the same roll of increasing success casting, can be use in the resistance roll? or would be it needed a new increase chance roll?

thank you in advance.

Zalain.

1. You spend the magic points (or Rune point, or whatever): the spell is cast, but it fails to affect the target. Them's the breaks. You don't get a free do-over next round.

2. Why ever not? If the player has a convincing narrative, I'd allow it.

3. By analogy with weapon skill augments (which boost both attacks and parries), I'd probably apply the augment to offensive and defensive POW vs. POW rolls.

• Like 3

Then, sorcery users are in clear disadvantage against other types of magic.

If a shaman fails a POWvsPOW roll of a demoralize spell, loses "only" 2 magic points.

If a sorcerer fails a POWvsPOW roll of create hallucination, loses much more magic points (since the strength of the spell must overcome the POW of the target). Lets say, 12-13 magic points, assuming the target has a standard POW 10-11.

Sorcery needs a lot of magic points to be as effective as other magic types (range, duration). 

24 minutes ago, Zalain said:

If a shaman fails a POWvsPOW roll of a demoralize spell, loses "only" 2 magic points.

If a sorcerer fails a POWvsPOW roll of create hallucination, loses much more magic points (since the strength of the spell must overcome the POW of the target). Lets say, 12-13 magic points, assuming the target has a standard POW 10-11.

Sorcery needs a lot of magic points to be as effective as other magic types (range, duration). 

This is one of the disadvantages, another being the time needed to cast the spells.

On the other hand, there is almost no limit to the max power  (i.e. strength) of a spell or on it's duration.

15 minutes ago, Zalain said:

That is correct and is apparently intentional.

If you want a combat magician, then flinging around a disruption or befuddle along with a multispell is simple and effective.  I do not think a sorcerer can hope to defeat such a person unless he has say ten years of learning and specializes in combat sorcery (which their colleagues would consider vulgar).  Where sorcerors excel is the years beyond that.  A sorceror with twenty to fifty years of learning would be quite terrible to confront.  This generally means that PC sorcerors really should have a backup magic system (like worship Lhankor Mhy) if they want to thrive alongside their colleagues.  

The strength of PC sorcerors is not in combat magics but in support.  If they want to locate something obscure, to boost their lore skill or to channel a fire into being somewhere where it shouldn't then their sorcery will provide an advantage over the magics of their yokel colleagues.   

10 hours ago, Zalain said:

f a sorcerer fails a POWvsPOW roll of create hallucination, loses much more magic points (since the strength of the spell must overcome the POW of the target). Lets say, 12-13 magic points, assuming the target has a standard POW 10-11.

I might be being pedantic here, or I have perhaps spotted an error in your thinking. A sorcerers ability to over come your power is based on their power, same as in rune and spirit magic. The strength of the spell has nothing to with that pow vs pow roll. It is true in general that truly effective sorcerers spells may indeed have a high strength, partial to punch thru magical protections but also because strength can often mean the spell is seriously detrimental if ithe caster succeeds to overcome the enemies power.

The reason the Sorcerer spends more Magic Points is because they’re trying to cast a more impressive spell. They’re not actually disadvantaged, they’re just doing something bigger.

The ones with an advantage are shamans (who have just ridiculously good POW when the Fetch is included), and to a much lesser extent Lunars (because you can Augment your POW v POW roll with the Moon Rune).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

The reason the Sorcerer spends more Magic Points is because they’re trying to cast a more impressive spell. They’re not actually disadvantaged, they’re just doing something bigger.

Well, quite often, to get the same results as Spirit Magic, they need to put more MPs in their spells.