Attack and Parry Matrix, but with Elric!

Zamzal

1 hour ago, Zamzal said:

Magic World is fantastic, but I don't like specials.

Elric! doesn't have any, but what would happen if I removed the specials from Magic World?

You'd wind up with a lot more successes.

Also keep in mind that Elric!/Strombringer had a higher critical chance. So you will get a lot more tied success levels. 

1 hour ago, Zamzal said:

Does anyone have any experience and/or tips?

If you do it double the critical chance ala Elric!

You might also want to drop weapon and shield hit points. In Magic World success levels help to keep parrying weapons from breaking easily, but if you remove specials then parrying objects (and so attacking weapons) will break about 25% more often. Either tat on increase the weapon Hit Points a little to offset than. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 9/10/2024 at 4:52 PM, Zamzal said:

Elric! doesn't have any, but what would happen if I removed the specials from Magic World?

There would be gnashing of teeth, the lamentation of women, and the world would end horribly.

Or, nothing would happen, and the game would work anyway.

• Haha 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2024 at 5:52 PM, Zamzal said:

Magic World is fantastic, but I don't like specials.

Does anyone have any experience and/or tips?

Elric! Actually has specials. It just calls them criticals (1/5 skill) and instead of a "critical" based on skill level it has a fixed 01 chance of "impale".

The attack / parry matrix of Elric! works just fine and there's zero issues using it with Magic World. It's simpler and, in my view, more interesting than the later evolutions in BRP 2008, Magic World, RQG and BRP 2023.

• Like 3

I'm moving more to the idea of dropping specials and just retaining 'criticals'. It simplifies combat and for those that are mathematically challenged a tenth of the score is an easy calculation to make. 

I'd like to just call them a special hit but that gets confusing with it meaning something else in RQG or BRP 

Over the years, I've moved away from combat orientated games, posing more problem-solving stuff. The increase chance for a 'special' in say, Insight rolls, Research or Orate etc allows players to make those special memories of when things go very right and they defeat the protagonist in a debate at Law or find that the double Accounting run by the Medici Bank is actually triple accounting and they have been clandestinely syphoning off profits to fund a clandestine rebellion against the Antwerpen Council.

Mechanics for me are just a way to enhance the narrative of the story

1 hour ago, Nozbat said:

I'm moving more to the idea of dropping specials and just retaining 'criticals'. It simplifies combat and for those that are mathematically challenged a tenth of the score is an easy calculation to make. 

That's basically what Strombringer did. 

But Stormbringer didn't use the combat matrix or track weapon hit points.

• 2 weeks later...

Specials and Criticals help differenciating skill levels beyond the simple chance of success, especially if said skill is high enough that your chance of success is already maximum (somewhere between 95 and 100% depending on your BRP version).

Without these, a skilled character in BRP has just better chances to perform a task, but when he succeeds he does not particularly performs better than a beginner.

As for myself, I'd be tempted to follow JB 007 and SPQR (Steve Perrin's Quest Rules), and use skill/10 for crits and skill/2 for specials, to make maths easier.

SPQR even had a chance for "super-crits" on skill/100.

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 2:29 AM, Mugen said:

Specials and Criticals help differenciating skill levels beyond the simple chance of success, especially if said skill is high enough that your chance of success is already maximum (somewhere between 95 and 100% depending on your BRP version).

Yes, plus they also help to account for the low probability stuff that can happen. For instance hitting a gap or weak spot in a opponent's armor. 

Without these, a skilled character in BRP has just better chances to perform a task, but when he succeeds he does not particularly performs better than a beginner.

Yes, and it means that skill becomes less of a factor in the outcome. For instance, in the real world, when it comes to firearms,  skill and shot placement (something that skill plays a big factor in) are more important than the caliber of the bullet. But without degrees of success,  damage is entirely based on the die the bullet uses. 

As for myself, I'd be tempted to follow JB 007 and SPQR (Steve Perrin's Quest Rules), and use skill/10 for crits and skill/2 for specials, to make maths easier.

Bond was a bit more layered than that.

Success Chance/10= Quality Rating  1 [Excellent] - akin to a critical 

Success Chance/5= Quality Rating 2 [Very Good] - akin to a special

Success Chance/2 = Quality Rating 3 [Good] -above average

Success Chancel= Quality Rating 4 {Acceptable] - it counts as a success

>Success Chance = Failure

00 = Equipment failure

But since it used a table and did everything in 10% increments (01-10%, 11-20%, etc.) of success chance there was some rounding. So a success chance of 75% was treated as 80% for QRs 1-3 (8%, 16%, and 40%).

Also Bond use the same methods and Quality Rating  results  to handle everything. So it could do opposed conflict resolution without opposed rolls.

SPQR even had a chance for "super-crits" on skill/100.

And it think Steve continued that on with 1/1000, etc. The idea was to keep the game scale-able even if skills above 1000% wouldn't show up in most campaigns.

6 hours ago, AndreasDavour said:

Skill/10 and skill/2 is delightfully simple! I love that!

HARN was even simpler.

It used numbers than ended on 0 or 5 as critical results. Either a critical  success or critical failure depending on if the roll was above or below skill. 

That worked out to 1/5 skill, but it could be adapted to other probabilities

For instance, you could simulate 1/10 with any number than ends in 1 (01,11,21,31, etc.)

1/5 with any number ending in 1 or 2. (01, 02, 12, 22, etc.)

And 1/2 with any odd number (or any number ending in 5 or less)

Very simple and it just duplicated the QR results from the James Bond RPG without using a table. 

4 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

It used numbers than ended on 0 or 5 as critical results. 

(...)

For instance, you could simulate 1/10 with any number than ends in 1 (01,11,21,31, etc.)

1/5 with any number ending in 1 or 2. (01, 02, 12, 22, etc.)

But it doesn't scale with skills over 100%. That's why I don't like those solutions.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mugen said:

But it doesn't scale with skills over 100%. That's why I don't like those solutions.

True and understood. But...it might be possible to scale it. 

BTW, personally I found the Bond method worked good, and it was easy enough to do the math in my head.

1/10th SC, rounded up) was QR 1, twice that was QR 2, five times that was QR 3 up to 98%, and anything up to SC was QR 4. Or 7/14/35.

So 63% chance was 0-7% for QR 1, 8-14% for QR 2, 15-35% was QR 3, and 36-63% was QR 4

But not everybody can quickly  do that in their head.

Still, the following table in't all that bad.

SC QR 1 QR 2 QR 3
10 1 2 5
20 2 4 10
30 3 6 15
40 4 8 20
50 5 10 25
60 6 12 30
70 7 14 35
80 8 16 40
90 9 18 45
100 10 20 50
110 11 22 55
120 12 24 60
130 13 26 65
140 14 28 70
150 15 30 75
160 16 32 80
170 17 34 85
180 18 36 90
190 19 38 95
200 20 40 98
210 21 42 98
220 22 44 98
230 23 46 98
240 24 48 98
250 25 50 98
260 26 52 98
270 27 54 98
280 28 56 98
290 29 58 98
300 30 60 98

On 10/6/2024 at 7:10 AM, Mugen said:

OpenQuest does it this way: if the rolled dice are the same (11, 22, 33 etc.) you get a critical; a success or failure depending on if you roll below or above your skill. But it doesn't have skills above 100%, which can happen in Elric!