One player's character died - resurrect?

dracopticon

Hi!
During the "Defending Apple Lane" adventure and its aftermath, one of my players character died in combat from a boar charge by the Tusk Riders. I am at a loss of how this should be played out to express the responsibility and work if it's possible to resurrect the character. My questions:

1. Who, in the Varmandi clan, is possible to approach about this service and the availability of such an important task from the player characters view (all free men, and one is a noble)? 

2. Can 'ordinary newbie adventurers' expect such a thing to be made for them?

3. What does it cost? Does it cost anything? Can one discuss that service in economical terms?

Thankful for any replies on this! //Erik

Edited by dracopticon
  • Like 1

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

This is just me — probably not for everyone — but if the character was going to lean in to the whole re-life sickness thing …

• hanging around graveyards & autopsies
  • dressing like Siouxsie Sioux or Robert Smith
  • listening to the Sisters of Mercy & Bauhaus
  • drinking absinthe & laudanum
  • reading Baudelaire & Clark Ashton Smith

… I would make their resurrection happen on the cheap.

If they just wanted to carry on as if nothing had happened, well, where is the fun in that?

Edited by mfbrandi
  • Like 2

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

3 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

This is just me — probably not for everyone — but if the character was going to lean in to the whole re-life sickness thing …

• hanging around graveyards & autopsies
  • dressing like Siouxsie Sioux or Robert Smith
  • listening to the Sisters of Mercy & Bauhaus
  • drinking absinthe & laudanum
  • reading Baudelaire & Clark Ashton Smith

… I would make their resurrection happen on the cheap.

If they just wanted to carry on as if nothing had happened, well, where is the fun in that?

Haha! I'll remember to ask the player if his character was the type you're describing. And yes, what is the fun in that? I agree, and truth be told, the killed one is a bodyguard for the main character of the player in question. I have googled on this and searched the forums here for clues on this. But it was the rulebook that really informed me most, as it's apparently something that is barely done on the more mighty characters or npcs, and then only at great cost. I don't see how new characters have the possibility for it, and all within seven days or less! 🙂

• Haha 1

I think as always the best decision is what would make for the most interesting story. If the character feels cool and important to the group, then make up some reason to resurrect them, and then apply debts and ties. If the player is okay with having a heroic sacrifice, then everything is fine. A death can really strengthen a group too.

I remember a campaign where we had a near party kill due to some bad luck and overconfidence and three out of five characters died. I was one of them sadly. However, one of the survivors came from a noble family, and we all loved our weird little group, so that character went deeply into debt with and on behalf of their family and we managed to get our characters resurrected. However, that informed a lot of what subsequently happened in the campaign as the debt was far too large for relatively beginning characters to work off. We were basically on the hook for whatever the GM wanted us to do from thereon, in a vain attempt to pay back our debts. And, all our characters were marked in different ways from the ordeal as well. Maximum game fun.

• Like 5

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

Your main issue is the rapid degradation of the body, as each day without resurrection stats are impacted. Given where chars are you can be sure at least a day will pass resurrection as a minimum.

The expense? Well strictly speaking Chalana Arroy does not have a price list, just an expectation of an appropriate contribution. Given it involves risk and a spirit combat, prices are high. In the hundreds of lunars at least plus some level of service perhaps.

But the real question is, do you want resurrection to be readily accessible in your Glorantha? It is a fantastic role play opportunity, getting the body to a healer with the spell, begging for the attention over and above other calls upon the priestesses time, just the luck that the healer has not used up their rune points already this season etc. If a healer uses her rune points on every initiate, what happens when the lords and ladies of the clan need the same? The political consequences can happen after the resurrection, for the healer and the players.

On the downside though, the deadliness of RQ is part of its charm, and players knowing resurrection is hard to get makes every fight a serious consideration, making players think before drawing swords. So resurrect access should be hard to get, maybe this is your time to show that, but allow great Role-playing and perhaps a view great rolls to mean there is always a chance, just not a good one perhaps.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Malin said:

I think as always the best decision is what would make for the most interesting story. If the character feels cool and important to the group, then make up some reason to resurrect them, and then apply debts and ties. If the player is okay with having a heroic sacrifice, then everything is fine. A death can really strengthen a group too.

Yes! Good tips. And it was a fun read to hear how your whole group got tied up in debt and assigments afterwards - as it should be! It is this kind of advice that really shows how the cultural expectations work.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Geoff R Evil said:

Your main issue is the rapid degradation of the body, as each day without resurrection stats are impacted. Given where chars are you can be sure at least a day will pass resurrection as a minimum.

The expense? Well strictly speaking Chalana Arroy does not have a price list, just an expectation of an appropriate contribution. Given it involves risk and a spirit combat, prices are high. In the hundreds of lunars at least plus some level of service perhaps.

But the real question is, do you want resurrection to be readily accessible in your Glorantha? It is a fantastic role play opportunity, getting the body to a healer with the spell, begging for the attention over and above other calls upon the priestesses time, just the luck that the healer has not used up their rune points already this season etc. If a healer uses her rune points on every initiate, what happens when the lords and ladies of the clan need the same? The political consequences can happen after the resurrection, for the healer and the players.

On the downside though, the deadliness of RQ is part of its charm, and players knowing resurrection is hard to get makes every fight a serious consideration, making players think before drawing swords. So resurrect access should be hard to get, maybe this is your time to show that, but allow great Role-playing and perhaps a view great rolls to mean there is always a chance, just not a good one perhaps.

Very good advice, thank you! Yes I know about the degradation, and 1D3 at that on three stats per day! That is harsh but not illogical. That line could partly sum up the whole game of RQG: "Harsh but not illogical", and it also gives that gritty feel that is so needed, sometimes! Or all the time. And thanks for that reminder of the clan's economy of magical resources, I had definitely not thought of that! But I also wonder sometimes if the Varmandi, as a war clan, really has any Chalana Arroy healers of note...?

And yes, that's a really important question; do I want resurrection for my game. It feels a little like the quick fix thinking of the D&D-genre. But then again, I still think that the player characters ARE heroes, though not very well known yet.

Edited by dracopticon
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, dracopticon said:

I still think that the player ARE heroes, though not very well known yet.

But maybe some NPC faction does know it, and that is why they come forward with the offer to give the corpse a second chance. Beware of strangers bearing fate runes.

• Like 3

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

1. For a starting PC, I would tend to go with a sad farewell.  Then, if the player likes the idea, their younger brother / sister joins the group and pledges to kill the rest of the foul tusk riders.
  2. I also like the idea of @mfbrandi.  Somebody mysterious resurrects them for possibly nefarious reasons.  It has happened in our game as well, but the nefarious reasons are yet to arise.
  3. One of my own concepts for a future PC is a Thief who died on a botched heist around age 21.  For some reason TBD he was resurrected, but part of his version of relife sickness is that he joins Chalana Arroy.  So, at roughly age 22, he is the world's worst Chalana Arroy adventurer, with only 1 Rune Point in CA, Healing 2, poor skills at First Aid etc., and who occasionally has to remind himself not to go all stabby on the bad guys.  But he has some surprising and useful other skills.  Would something like this idea work in your game? (obviously not a Thief, but whatever the dead PC used to be turns to CA)
Edited by Rodney Dangerduck
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, dracopticon said:

During the "Defending Apple Lane" adventure and its aftermath, one of my players character died in combat from a boar charge by the Tusk Riders. I am at a loss of how this should be played out to express the responsibility and work if it's possible to resurrect the character. My questions:

1. Who, in the Varmandi clan, is possible to approach about this service and the availability of such an important task from the player characters view (all free men, and one is a noble)? 

3. What does it cost? Does it cost anything? Can one discuss that service in economical terms?

Resurrection is always a tough question as it is not something that should feel easy or common, particularly if their Divine Intervention did not succeed. RuneQuest has always been a gritty game with many, many deaths - the world is often harsh.

On your questions, the primary source of Resurrection is Chalana Arroy. There is a priestess Kerisdana Hollybright who lives in Clearwine (see GM book, p.31) who knows the Rune spell. That's probably the best person to try to reach for aid. 

1) Most of the characters in Apple Lane will know of Kerisdana, as will any significant figure in the Varmandi clan. You might decide that each of the Colymar clans is likely to have an initiate of Chalana Arroy who might know the spell too. 

2) Generally, no. But if they were part of the group Defending Apple Lane, the Apple Lane residents might pitch in to help argue for the character's Resurrection. You might require an Orate or Sing roll from one of the other PC's to speak of the dead PC's bravery and courage in battle to win them over.

3) The Chalana Arroy cult does not "charge" per se for Resurrection. They expect gifts and services in return. This is an expensive exercise and depletes the healer's magic until the next holy day. The natural "fee" will be a service to the temple that is difficult and dangerous. For instance, they need healing plants that only grow in Snakepipe Hollow, a dangerous Chaos Nest, or in the Smoking Ruins where terrible spirits rule, etc. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

But maybe some NPC faction does know it, and that is why they come forward with the offer to give the corpse a second chance. Beware of strangers bearing fate runes.

A new saying! Must introduce it, but only AFTER they've already received the mysterious gift of course. Really like the line "... to give the corpse a second chance." 🙂 

But why not a nefarious resurrection?! My God, that is a thing I would never have thought of myself. Horrendous to say the least. But in Pig Hollow? I would understand if it was done in Delecti's territory or some other really evil surroundings, but do the Tusk Riders want to do that? They sensed that Red Eye, the demi-god boar creature was in the vicinity but he never came so close as to show himself and fight for the Tusk Riders (a 50/50 chance that the players thankfully missed their roll for).

Edited by dracopticon

11 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Resurrection is always a tough question as it is not something that should feel easy or common, particularly if their Divine Intervention did not succeed. RuneQuest has always been a gritty game with many, many deaths - the world is often harsh.

On your questions, the primary source of Resurrection is Chalana Arroy. There is a priestess Kerisdana Hollybright who lives in Clearwine (see GM book, p.31) who knows the Rune spell. That's probably the best person to try to reach for aid. 

1) Most of the characters in Apple Lane will know of Kerisdana, as will any significant figure in the Varmandi clan. You might decide that each of the Colymar clans is likely to have an initiate of Chalana Arroy who might know the spell too. 

2) Generally, no. But if they were part of the group Defending Apple Lane, the Apple Lane residents might pitch in to help argue for the character's Resurrection. You might require an Orate or Sing roll from one of the other PC's to speak of the dead PC's bravery and courage in battle to win them over.

3) The Chalana Arroy cult does not "charge" per se for Resurrection. They expect gifts and services in return. This is an expensive exercise and depletes the healer's magic until the next holy day. The natural "fee" will be a service to the temple that is difficult and dangerous. For instance, they need healing plants that only grow in Snakepipe Hollow, a dangerous Chaos Nest, or in the Smoking Ruins where terrible spirits rule, etc. 

Fantastically informative and time saving advice! Many thanks for that. Just to be able to say the line: "I know of a master Chalana Arroy healer in Clearwine, who may, for great and important gifts or at least extensive supplementary work, do this great honor for your dead comrade. The 'may' is emphasized here." - to the characters.

And yes, Divine Intervention! I must read up on that. Neither I or the players have really thought of it, but of course it must be the first and right path to go. Thanks!

The death of a comrade also really underlines the harshness of battle and the weight of coming to a fight prepared. It cannot be said enough. Pitching in from Apple Lane is an awesome idea. I have made the owner of the Tin Inn a sister to the noble character of the group. They got some well stashed-away apple wine from her after the battle with the Tusk Riders (I served the players each a glass of cooled white chardonnay so they got some idea of the taste, not apple wine but good enough). 

I read that the Chalana Arroy healers could take payment, but at least as much as the player character was worth in a ransom. Good ideas on where the PCs may be sent to search for something to use for payment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:
  1. For a starting PC, I would tend to go with a sad farewell.  Then, if the player likes the idea, their younger brother / sister joins the group and pledges to kill the rest of the foul tusk riders.
  2. I also like the idea of @mfbrandi.  Somebody mysterious resurrects them for possibly nefarious reasons.  It has happened in our game as well, but the nefarious reasons are yet to arise.
  3. One of my own concepts for a future PC is a Thief who died on a botched heist around age 21.  For some reason TBD he was resurrected, but part of his version of relife sickness is that he joins Chalana Arroy.  So, at roughly age 22, he is the world's worst Chalana Arroy adventurer, with only 1 Rune Point in CA, Healing 2, poor skills at First Aid etc., and who occasionally has to remind himself not to go all stabby on the bad guys.  But he has some surprising and useful other skills.  Would something like this idea work in your game? (obviously not a Thief, but whatever the dead PC used to be turns to CA)

Many well thought out ideas! Thanks! Yes, the sad death would perhaps be the best to go with.

Yes, the nefarious resurrection sounds like an absolute horror! They would be chocked.  

A healing thief? Yes, that would be an interesting version of who he could become. The one who died, though were a accomplished fighter and a bodyguard to one the characters.  A healing warrior maybe.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dracopticon said:

But then again, I still think that the player characters ARE heroes, though not very well known yet.

mmm if they are not known, they are not seen as hero. so you may find other reasons to expect a clan to save the pc. (Maybe, but, for me, that should be in the background proposed by the player) the pc is relative of some important people.

In all cases, if you want a resurrection spell, youn need to determine time to obtain the caster.

So it means one of your pc needs to go to the clan/directly to the healer to ask for help. It could be quick as there are road, horse, etc (of course some ride roll are needed, decision to have bad encountner or not, ...) or faster (ho I have teleportation guided directly to clearwine temple... then decision if there is a healer available (you don't have 100 healers able to cast it) then how much time to go bak to apple lane (if pc did not teleport the body).

So you have a lot of option to make pc choice difficult or not: a) will you risk to lose another pc / rune point for teleportation. b) will you player accept to play a character losing 3 ? 6 ? 10 characteristic points (depending on the time required to obtain the spell cast)

bow what could be the price ? a dangerous mission (maybe with the risk of more deaths), a lot of cows (for the milk, not for the meat roooo we are Chalana), some oaths (never kill a prisoner, etc..)

for me if the pc is new, it is better to meet the death. But it depends on the player, so I will let him/her the choice between reroll another one or accept some pain (losing characteristic) with maybe, the opportunity to gain some benefit (they are heroes, not yet known, but heroes right ?) like some magical skill (+5 spirit travel or spirit danse for example because the pc escaped some danger during the otherworld travel) and a negative passion (fear some darkness entity 60%, and/or fear tusk riders 70%, maybe roll against powx5 for others to not gain fear tusk rider 60%. Trauma is for everyone, in particular if they meet death for the first time.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dracopticon said:

And yes, Divine Intervention!

High loss of power likely if it works.

Also read up on Asborn Fourborn. Maybe there is something about this PC they don't know, no one knows about and they come back from the dead like a shaman would, don't know details but also worth a look?

Another less painful way to go about resurrection sickness would be to roll a d20 for each characteristic and if they roll under the current score they don't lose anything in that stat.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

roll a d20 for each characteristic and if they roll under the current score they don’t lose anything in that stat.

• However, this favours characters with high stats who can most afford to lose points.
    • Roll over to escape stat loss favours the wretched of the Lozenge
      — which makes it appeal more to me, but some may favour a re-resurrection death spiral (and I can see that).
    • On the stat’s original dice maybe, rather than d20 (whether over or under).

• Anyone remember that old Justice League strip where the alien Equalizer evens out the stats/powers of the superheroes?
    • Gather a pool of n “helpers” for the resurrection
      — they will share the risk (and some could even benefit).
    • If there is resurrection loss to a stat,
      sum the stat for the helpers and the corpse,
      subtract the points lost,
      and divide the grand total by n+1,
      then everyone involved (dead person & each helper) gets that as their new score in the stat.°
    • You may want to rule that only PCs can volunteer.
      — No NPCs at swordpoint.
    • How badly do you want your companion back?
      Think of it as a team-building exercise.

These are — of course — just idle thoughts, not playtested recommendations.

—————————————————
° If you are a hardcore egalitarian, do it even if points lost = zero. 😉

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

On 10/10/2024 at 2:32 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

mmm if they are not known, they are not seen as hero. so you may find other reasons to expect a clan to save the pc. (Maybe, but, for me, that should be in the background proposed by the player) the pc is relative of some important people.

In all cases, if you want a resurrection spell, youn need to determine time to obtain the caster.

So it means one of your pc needs to go to the clan/directly to the healer to ask for help. It could be quick as there are road, horse, etc (of course some ride roll are needed, decision to have bad encountner or not, ...) or faster (ho I have teleportation guided directly to clearwine temple... then decision if there is a healer available (you don't have 100 healers able to cast it) then how much time to go bak to apple lane (if pc did not teleport the body).

So you have a lot of option to make pc choice difficult or not: a) will you risk to lose another pc / rune point for teleportation. b) will you player accept to play a character losing 3 ? 6 ? 10 characteristic points (depending on the time required to obtain the spell cast)

bow what could be the price ? a dangerous mission (maybe with the risk of more deaths), a lot of cows (for the milk, not for the meat roooo we are Chalana), some oaths (never kill a prisoner, etc..)

for me if the pc is new, it is better to meet the death. But it depends on the player, so I will let him/her the choice between reroll another one or accept some pain (losing characteristic) with maybe, the opportunity to gain some benefit (they are heroes, not yet known, but heroes right ?) like some magical skill (+5 spirit travel or spirit danse for example because the pc escaped some danger during the otherworld travel) and a negative passion (fear some darkness entity 60%, and/or fear tusk riders 70%, maybe roll against powx5 for others to not gain fear tusk rider 60%. Trauma is for everyone, in particular if they meet death for the first time.)

Thanks for the massive reply! Nice to see such interest in this topic.

But, yes, I also think that because the character is a newly made one, he is probably not going to get any resurrection at all,mainly because they simply cannot afford it. We'll see on the next playing session on the 22nd of October when me and my players meet again around my table. And I think they are such newbies that they haven't even heard of the teleportation spell, and only maybe the resurrection spell. The only money they can get their hands on is IF they dare to return to the Tusk Riders camp and loot it, which they left in a hurry as Red Eye was somewhere nearby and they could hear that great beast roaming around. I plan to run The Broken Tower adventure after this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

High loss of power likely if it works.

Also read up on Asborn Fourborn. Maybe there is something about this PC they don't know, no one knows about and they come back from the dead like a shaman would, don't know details but also worth a look?

Another less painful way to go about resurrection sickness would be to roll a d20 for each characteristic and if they roll under the current score they don't lose anything in that stat.

Exactly, the characteristic loss is another aspect that possibly am going to dampen their will to resurrect the character, not to mention the cost. Interesting alternative idea. Thanks! I read a little about the Fourborn guy, but didn't get the more important parts. Will re-read! 

4 hours ago, mfbrandi said:
  • However, this favours characters with high stats who can most afford to lose points.
    • Roll over to escape stat loss favours the wretched of the Lozenge
      — which makes it appeal more to me, but some may favour a re-resurrection death spiral (and I can see that).
    • On the stat’s original dice maybe, rather than d20 (whether over or under).

• Anyone remember that old Justice League strip where the alien Equalizer evens out the stats/powers of the superheroes?
      then everyone involved (dead person & each helper) gets that as their new score in the stat.°
      — No NPCs at swordpoint.
      Think of it as a team-building exercise.

These are — of course — just idle thoughts, not playtested recommendations.

—————————————————
° If you are a hardcore egalitarian, do it even if points lost = zero. 😉

Thanks so much for the reply! As I am not a great mathematician, these advice just flew right over my brain I'm afraid.  Thanks anyway.

4 hours ago, mfbrandi said:
    — No NPCs at swordpoint.

humm hmmm well... Poor friend we don't know how he will come back. arg ... humm .. He is probably welcomed in his god realm. humm ... rip my friend. no no that's not because I want to keep my damage bonus... no no no

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dracopticon said:

Thanks for the massive reply! Nice to see such interest in this topic.

But, yes, I also think that because the character is a newly made one, he is probably not going to get any resurrection at all,mainly because they simply cannot afford it. We'll see on the next playing session on the 22nd of October when me and my players meet again around my table. And I think they are such newbies that they haven't even heard of the teleportation spell, and only maybe the resurrection spell. The only money they can get their hands on is IF they dare to return to the Tusk Riders camp and loot it, which they left in a hurry as Red Eye was somewhere nearby and they could hear that great beast roaming around. I plan to run The Broken Tower adventure after this.

Death can also be an opportunity for further events. Do the survivors want to have a commemorative funeral pyre for the departed? Or a feast or some athletic games (or even a praise song about their deeds)? Will their community contribute to their remembrance? If they have such an event, does it attract the attention of a spirit or god (or get challenged by a foe)? Does a relative arrive who stakes some claim to the grave goods? 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2024 at 10:29 AM, dracopticon said:

During the "Defending Apple Lane" adventure and its aftermath, one of my players character died in combat from a boar charge by the Tusk Riders. I am at a loss of how this should be played out to express the responsibility and work if it's possible to resurrect the character.

That's a good way of doing it.

Close relatives, cult leaders, the Chalana Arroy cult, and the Clan Ring.

Some people have Ransoms stored away, they can be used to pay for Resurrection. 

Roll those Passions, is anyone Loyal to the deceased Adventurer, or to the Adventurers? Can the Adventurers call on Passions to get people to assist them? Maybe offering favours in return.

In my games, the Chalana Arroy cult is always open to starting a credit line for things like Resurrection. That way, they can get Adventurers on the money train nice and early, having them pay the cult for long periods of time, paying back in instalments.

Yes, why not? A newbie Adventurer is as much a clan member as anyone else. One of the Adventurers is a noble, so has some clout.

I play that it costs the same as a Ransom, as you are effectively ransoming the soul back. A year's salary also sounds fair.

RQG p406 says "A temple will usually cast cult magic (such as Healing magic or special Rune spells) on its members, but typically expects to receive a sacrifice from the beneficiary equal to 20 L per Rune point expended. One-use spells cost ten times this amount. If the caster must spend magic points, the beneficiary must spend an additional 1 L per point spent." Resurrection is a 3 point spell, so that is a nominal cost of 60L, which is about a year's salary.

The Lightbringers Cults Book p47 says "Healers never ask for payment. However, it is a custom enforced by the gods themselves that if an adventurer is saved from disease or poison or maiming or death by the actions of a healer, the recipient immediately will give the healer’s temple (or the nearest temple, if the healer is unaffiliated with a temple) an appropriately generous gift or percentage of the person’s income for the next year. A king might fund a hospital or a waystation. A farmer may give half a year’s milk from his cows. The greater the gift, the more honored the giver, and the happier the healers next time they see to their wounds. Patients who grudgingly donate a pittance to the temple are placed low on the list of priorities next time healing is required. Lesser, non-threatening injuries and maladies are either treated for free, or with a much lower contribution expected in return. When a Chalana Arroy healer’s services are required outside the temple, their food, board, and safety are assumed to be provided by the one who has requested their aid. Rune levels of friendly cults will have their debts paid by their cult, out of their own payments into that cult. Payment is put into a common fund. Of the money therein, 10% is shared among the healers and initiates and the remaining 90% keeps up the temple or goes for charity work.". That is very wishy-washy, but I would say that a generous gift means that the Temple is more likely to heal you again in the future.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/10/2024 at 4:44 AM, dracopticon said:

And yes, Divine Intervention! I must read up on that. Neither I or the players have really thought of it, but of course it must be the first and right path to go.

The dead PC should most certainly try Divine Intervention!  Unless they are in Humakt.

The other PCs, well, that's a tougher call.  A poor roll can cripple or kill the character.

• Like 1