Games that use BRP rules that are not from Chaosium

Joseph Paul

I was flipping through an old copy of Morrow project when something caught my eye. Appently my edition (3rd) has a roleplaying expansion stapled into it. The credits for the expansion read:"With sincere thanks to the Chaosium and Tadashi Ehara, who made possible the form this expansion takes."

I looked more carefully and by golly the BRP skills system is there!

*Percentile rolls against specific skills

*Base skill percentage set

*Attribute modifiers to skill groups

*Experience check system

Any other non-Chaosium games that have incorporated BRP mechanics? I have heard that Earthdawn has many similarities and I know that Other Suns was submitted to Chaosium, failed to make production status, and was changed enough to avoid copyright and published by FGU.

Descended

Morrow Project 2nd ed

Other Suns

Drakar og Demonar

Gotterdammerung

BRP with the #s filed off

Blakes 7

Element Masters/Gatewar

Similar Mechanics

Earthdawn

Fifth Cycle

Twilight 2000 v1

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there was a very popular Swedish RPG called Drakar Och Demoner. The first edition was pretty much Worlds of Wonder in Swedish :D. It's run to 6 editions and has changed a fair bit, how much resemblence to BRP it had by the 6th edition I don't know:

http://www.stacken.kth.se/~maxz/swerpg/drakar.html

It seems to have a fairly big following and spawned a fair few supplements:

http://www.riotminds.com/

I don't speak or read Swedish so I don't know how much on the last link is official publications, fan produced or what. Nice artwork though. In fact if they could get the artist who did the artwork on the supplements on the last link to do some artwork for BRP I'd be well happy.

"The first real roleplaying game in Swedish to be released on the market was Drakar och Demoner (Dragons and Demons). Note that despite the name it is not a Dungeons & Dragons clone. The game system is that of Steve Perrin, basic roleplaying, used in Runequest and Call of Cthulhu. The first edition of Drakar och Demoner came in 1982 in a blue box and was a straight translation of Perrin's Magic World which was released together with Future World and Super World in the boxed set Worlds of Wonder (1982).

The basic set of rules, by many referred to as the black box, was later expanded by Drakar och Demoner EXPERT in 1985. Introducing several new occupations, skills and lots of magic, it also got rid of the d100 and used a d20 for all skill rolls. Now Drakar och Demoner was a game of it's own, bearing little resemblence with that of Steve Perrins."

from the page linked above.

so... drakar och demoner does not resemble BRP anymore.

BAD CHOICE from the designers!

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Well, there was a very popular Swedish RPG called Drakar Och Demoner.

I had WoW and bought this out of interest when it first came out, not knowing a thing about it. Imagine my surprise when I held in my hand a poorly translated version of BRP and the fantasy book from WoW.

I ran a short campaign with it, mostly because some of my players found English a bit of a challenge. I think it was the third edition that dropped the D100 for a D20, but we'd stopped using it by then.

Harnmaster comes to mind. Although a different system, it has a lot in common with RQ. Enough so that my RQ group got felt very comfortable with it.

Another very BRPish game was Privateers & Gentelmen. THis was a minatures/RPG system for playing in the Age or Sail. The game system was probably closer to RQ than Other Suns was, down to including category modifiers ala RQ2. As a side bit of Trivia he game was written By Walter Jon Williams who went on to fame as a writer of cyberpunk science fiction.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Harnmaster comes to mind. Although a different system, it has a lot in common with RQ. Enough so that my RQ group got felt very comfortable with it.

Another very BRPish game was Privateers & Gentelmen. THis was a minatures/RPG system for playing in the Age or Sail. The game system was probably closer to RQ than Other Suns was, down to including category modifiers ala RQ2. As a side bit of Trivia he game was written By Walter Jon Williams who went on to fame as a writer of cyberpunk science fiction.

I never knew that ! I finished reading one of his short stories only the other day.

Isn't that the guy that wrote the Praxis trilogy? Good sci fi writer.

Yup, that's the guy. Quite a few writers get their start in RPGs. Mike Stackpole, Raymond Benson, Timothy Zhan, the list goes on. Apparently both activities requires the same aptitudes (or tyhe same neuroses).

Oh, and Williams was part of George R.R. Martin's RPG group that played Superworld, that led to the creation of the Wild Cards series of books. Pity the RPGbook for that went to GURPS.

Or games in general. I once read somewhere that a lot of the fantasy and science fiction writers of the 30s+ started out playing wargames (what we call miniatures now) together on someones' living room floor in New York during the Depression...like L. Sprague de Camp, Fletcher Pratt, Leigh Brackett, Poul Anderson, I don't remember who all.

That'll be the chappy, very atmospheric artwork in my opinion. I especially like the one entitled Galtevar

I do hope they spend some more money the artwork this time around. Artwork and layout is the least important part of the book once you bought it, but counts a lot getting people to actually buy it, if they haven't deceided allready. (And I'm sick of defending the RQ artwork to my designer friend! :mad:)

Triff.

THat's no nearly as bad as what Mayfair did to CHILL. Someone got the idea that it would be "cool" if the game looked like it was written by an inmate in a pscho ward. SO everything was written is some wacky scribble font, with erraqtic size, lettering and spacing. It might have looked cool and artsy, but made it a lot tougher to actually read the book. :mad:

Guest the Bromgrev

The Horizon guys once-upon-a-time produced a Blakes 7 RPG which was BRP with the serial numbers filed off, complete with a version of Sanity rules for the future. By all accounts it was a creditable effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Götterdämmerung 1st ed by Anders Jacobsson, Magnus Malmberg, Theodore Berqquist (2005) Riotminds A mystery game set in the 18th century, inspired by "The Brotherhood of Wolves", "Vidoqc" and "Sleepy Hollow". There are many secret societies, and dark forces never spoken about. The core game consists of two books: Lex Libris and Codex Persona. It uses a percentile skill-based system based on Chaosium's Basic Role-playing

This is from John H. Kims website.

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

Will the original poster please be kind enough to go through, collect the titles (and people who made the claim) and edit the original post? This will make it easier for people who are just coming in to keep up...

please?

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)