The Death of Warhammer RPG's

Guarding the combat camera and motorpool barracks in Germany doesnt seem to be all the crucial. They provide us with a TV/DVD player and the message of "stay awake, answer the phone and check the buildings every few hours, See you in the morining" so yeah, we can read.

That reminds me of when I was a curator of a naval museum for the battleship USS South Dakota. Sound like a busy job? Not when it's a museum roughly the size of a living room in the middle of South Dakota. Granted, the history of BB57 is indeed amazing and it's a wonder no one knows anything about it. A nasty twist of political geography would obscure it from the annals of history forever.

Sad, but this was good for me. I would take two 300-to-400-page books with me every day. I would finish one and read half of the next one. It was the summer of trilogies, where I would read a trilogy in two days.

Not a bad gig.

Also, about Lure of the Liche Lord. PK, you were so right. So very, very right. This book is incredible.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, about Lure of the Liche Lord. PK, you were so right. So very, very right. This book is incredible.

You hear that everyone. I WAS RIGHT! Ha ha!!! Ha ha ha!!!! (can you please teach my fiance how to say those words?)

I have been reading 40KRP these past days and it is incredible, though it could have used more of the fantasy rules (like careers and some skills/talents) and looks to be muy muy fun.

Sad, but this was good for me. I would take two 300-to-400-page books with me every day. I would finish one and read half of the next one. It was the summer of trilogies, where I would read a trilogy in two days.

Not a bad gig.

I was on a FFG where the CO was booking for promotion, as a result we did a lot of flight-deck qualifications for the SH60's in Jacksonville. We'd spend a lot of 12-14 hour days at flight-quarters. I was the sound-powered phone operator and plug-man on the crash and smash team, so couldn't roam far. I was still speed-reading at that time, and was going through 3 books a day. I read a lot of fantasy in addition to my normal Sci-Fi, as that was what one of my co-workers was into.

After I reenlisted and changed jobs I was on a Mainframe floor in DC, and when on the eve or mid shifts I was able to read a lot as well.

The book came this morning, hopefully I can get some time to read through some of it after work. I'm really interested in the character generation, and what to skim over the basic rules. I've not looked at the Warhammer Fantasy RPG for nearly 15 years so, I don't remember anything about it.

Zane

You hear that everyone. I WAS RIGHT! Ha ha!!! Ha ha ha!!!! (can you please teach my fiance how to say those words?)

I have been reading 40KRP these past days and it is incredible, though it could have used more of the fantasy rules (like careers and some skills/talents) and looks to be muy muy fun.

Regarding the first item: No. And no one can.

Regarding the second item: I completely agree. I would have liked to have seen a more free-form method of careers, a la WFRP... but I think they wanted to try to draw some of the d20 audience into it. Who knows?

But yes, it looks fun. I'm going to be transposing the critical tables for ease of reference. Wee, gory death! I love splattery results.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

I was still speed-reading at that time, and was going through 3 books a day.

"I took a speed reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia. " - Woody Allen :)

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I completely agree. I would have liked to have seen a more free-form method of careers, a la WFRP... but I think they wanted to try to draw some of the d20 audience into it. Who knows?

But yes, it looks fun. I'm going to be transposing the critical tables for ease of reference. Wee, gory death! I love splattery results.

The more I read though they less I like it. First the careers and now starting characters. They just suck. Everyone can speak Low Gothic and shoot some sort of gun but thats about it. Im about to seriously edit the rules to be more similar to beginning WHFRP characters including the two random skills/talents.

And speaking of talents, is it more, or are these feats? I think your D20 observation is correct, but as others have been saying, even in D20 you have career jumping these days.

Lets hope the Inquisitors Guide due out later this year fixes this stuff.

The more I read though they less I like it. First the careers and now starting characters. They just suck. Everyone can speak Low Gothic and shoot some sort of gun but thats about it. Im about to seriously edit the rules to be more similar to beginning WHFRP characters including the two random skills/talents.

And speaking of talents, is it more, or are these feats? I think your D20 observation is correct, but as others have been saying, even in D20 you have career jumping these days.

Lets hope the Inquisitors Guide due out later this year fixes this stuff.

Hmmm. I think it would have been better served had we received the next step in the setting (being Rogue Trader). I think the freedom would have been in that game, as players would by then be used to the setting and more apt to pick careers with backgrounds suitable to the milieu, rather than "Oh my god, I have no idea what does what and why."

This is something, unfortunately, that we will never, ever know. And that makes me sad. Playing as an Adeptus Astartes would probably have been the most option laden piece of Warhammer material we would ever see in RPG form. All the different chapters you could come from (hello supplemental material!) and all their different traits and powers. The sky would have really been the limit. I can only begin to imagine just how epic it could have been.

- H.P. Lovecraft

Role-playing a Space Marine sounds really dull to me... maybe cause I picture them as drugged up religious fanatics who spend all their time fighting and praying.

The Rogue Trader/Inquisitor stuff seems much more interesting... or anything dealing with the common citizenry. I'd much rather deal with the intrigues of the Imperial nobles and glitterfolk... the hive-world gangs... the pirates and smugglers.

I'd rather have all the WH40K battle stuff as background that could occasionally creep into the game... running into a squad of Space Marines would be pretty scary... rather than try to find a storyline for marine characters who, IMHO, would have very little in the way of free will.

Fading Suns seems like a much more gameable (roleplayable) setting...

• 2 weeks later...

You are quite correct in saying that the system leaves much to be desired. Of course it would be easy to port it over to BRP, and a third edition is in the works which should hopefully fix most of the kinks in the system. Redbrick has a great track record so far with Earthdawn, I am inclined to believe they will do Fading Suns right.