BRP Companion

pansophy

I just got the idea to maybe write a Companion for BRP.

So far I have:
- Minion rules (updated version of the ones I already posted)
- Simplified Hitpoint tracking (for large combats)

- Combat Maneuvers, examples and options to use them

--> all of the above is done without changing any BRP rules

- Explaining the rules for firearms in BGB with examples

- Converting Movement rates from different BRP settings to BRP BGB

- Errata for the Hardcover BGB

- correct Critical Success chart

- correct SIZ & Weight chart

Honestly, I do not expect this thing more than 10 pages long, as BRP is already cvering a lot. But if somebody has ideas and wants these to be included - feel free to post them or contact me.

Maybe some vehicle creation rules and mass combat rules (already finished ones - do not start a discussion in this theread, please)?

Anything I am missing?

• Like 4

Personal trademark 'Stunts' may be a good addition for cinematic style gameplay.

You could have a look at the Stunts system in Blood Tide, and perhaps come up with additional Stunts to add to the list already provided there.

Also perhaps a more structured look at the Fate Points options in the BGB may be of some value

Just some thoughts...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Good ideas, yes. The Fate Point list is a bit difficult to read, too. I could include a nice overview sheet, too. Will fit on the same page as the corrected Success and SIZ tables.

Will need to buy the Blood Tide book to have access to the stunt system, but that's no worries. :)

Keep going!

• Focus Skills from Charles' Gods of Law?
  • Alternate rules for Hit Locations and Major Wounds. Along the lines of location values as wound thresholds, as discussed in this forum.
  • Yes, Stunts from Blood Tide.
  • Perhaps fleshing out the Personality Trait and Passions systems.

Oh, and all the cool stuff should be in an Appendix.

SDLeary

• Like 1

The RQ6 Passions could be easily added.

The RQ6 Luther Arkwright book looks like it has a Traits/Talents mechanic - perhaps that may also be of interest...

But probably best just to clarify and provide examples of the actual rules as written in the BGB, such as some common manuvers with combined skills, errata,  or some templates for Power Points costs with the Fate option etc

There are also Mook rules in Astounding Adventures which may be further elaborated upon perhaps...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I'll have a look at these ideas, thank you :)

The Mook rules in AA are interesting, and fit a pulp setting very much. The new ones I have come up with are a bit more down to the ground and an other option only addresses easier book keeping when running combats. Will try to contact the author of AA, maybe I am allowed to include these rules into the Companion.

I know there are a lot of other moo/minion rules - CotAC does have some, Fractured Hopes as well. I will look at those, too.

Also, Maybe Nick does have some content for a new issue of Uncounted Worlds that could made it into the Companion? Reminds me to look at the older UW editions to scan it for rule options and clarifications. There was an article about skills in one issue.

• Like 1

Actually I think there was a really good article in one of those Uncounted Worlds that was about using Complimentary Skill Bonuses in a really loose way, augmenting actions

From memory it was written by either Nick Middleton or Sarah Newton (? or both)

I will have to hunt my archives to see if I still have it

I think its the kinda thing you're after

Ok, Found it.

Uncounted Worlds #2. Good stuff,

I think it includes the article you may be referencing

Obviously you are aware that the Uncounted Worlds issues are available from Chaosium as free downloads

Perhaps Chaosium could repackage some of that material in a new volume of BRP...

I just got the idea to maybe write a Companion for BRP.

So far I have:

- Minion rules (updated version of the ones I already posted)

- Simplified Hitpoint tracking (for large combats)

- Combat Maneuvers, examples and options to use them

--> all of the above is done without changing any BRP rules

- Explaining the rules for firearms in BGB with examples

- Converting Movement rates from different BRP settings to BRP BGB

- Errata for the Hardcover BGB

- correct Critical Success chart

- correct SIZ & Weight chart

Honestly, I do not expect this thing more than 10 pages long, as BRP is already cvering a lot. But if somebody has ideas and wants these to be included - feel free to post them or contact me.

Maybe some vehicle creation rules and mass combat rules (already finished ones - do not start a discussion in this theread, please)?

Anything I am missing?

How about usable vehicle rules.  The BRP rules are terrible.  

How about usable vehicle rules.  The BRP rules are terrible.  

I think they are just chase rules anyway.

To be honest, in an RPG that is rules light to medium, my personal preference towards vehicle rules is leaning towards 'descriptive play and a few maneuver rolls'. I do not see the need for detailes vehicle rules and if I really want them, I use a fitting boardgame for that.

Worked excellent in the past and we had a few nice evenings zooming in and out between the boardgame and the RPG.

Got very facinating when the players' ship got blown to space junk and they tried everything to survive in the shot up hull. At the same time they feared for the best to win the boardgame battle, as that was the only true hope of being rescued. Ended up to be a tie and the enemy capturing the PCs - spinning the story ina complete different direction ... but I disgress.

• Like 2

yes, I read them, and they are good as a setting rule and well placed in a book about starships. A more rules light version would be ok for a companion, I guess.

I just flipped through the ship section in MW and they are simple enough to use while offering a great way to roleplay. Although I don't see much difference to the rules mentioned in BRP - but I'll need to compare them in more detail.

Maybe I can make them a bit more generic with a few examples and give stats for different settings.

Good stuff, keep things coming :)

The following of my projects are fair game for this.

If you wish to use them, send me an email. I'll private message you my email address... Or not. It doesn't look like you can currently accept private messages. I'll check back here later.

If you want, I've a long standing house rule that splits damage bonus into Brawn and Finesse.

Brawn is figured as normal, Str+Siz and is used for big weapons.  Finesse is Str+Dex and is used for light weapons.

Works great and encourages fighters that are just big brutes.

70/420