Project Sandbox

Nakana

I thought this might be fun if there are enough people that are interested. I'm kind of taking the idea of Questworld and applying it to the gamers instead of publishers.

Here is a rudimentary map of a blank world:

gallery_1409_8_44359.jpg

The idea is that a person can "adopt a country" and populate it full of towns, cities, villages, mountains, rivers, NPC's, adventures and all kinds of other good stuff; then all the creativity and content would be uploaded and available to share and use as a generic fantasy world in which to game. 

Is it a lot of work?  Maybe.(Depends on you) Could it be a lot of fun?  Hell yeah!

We might even have a little mini-game involving the countries using Runequest Empires. Who knows?

So if you are interested then the first step is to select your country. (First come, first serve)

gallery_1409_8_55866.jpg

*If you want the fun of randomization, roll 1d4 (1-2=low, 3-4=high)

If you rolled low, then roll 1d12. (Countries 1-12) If you rolled high, then roll 1d12+12 (13-24)

The greyed out countries are not available to start because 1) the isolation could be an unfair advantage or disadvantage, and 2) I thought it would be more fun to develop those countries either collaboratively through story or by empire takeover.

So who's interested?

P.S. I rolled randomly and claim country 24.

• Like 1

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

For clarification (if enough people are interested) once you select your country, I'll send you maps (with and without hex grids) of your country so you can start populating them. 

*This will require a printer and scanner or some sort of paint program. 

Is the global climate assumed to be Earthlike? Extreme northern and southern parts arctic, Equatorial area tropic?

Sounds like fun. I'll bite! I randomly rolled 10.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I haven't fleshed that much out. (Didn't want to spend too much time on this if there was a lack of interest.)

To keep the scale small enough that adventurers can reasonably travel from one kingdom to another, let's say that this isn't the entire planet, but rather a continental region.

Climate is fairly moderate with pleasant springs and autumns, bitter winters and subtropic summers.

Yeah, that's where the Green came from.  Good stuff in there.  It's always nice to start new though and I'd be interested in doing some stuff on your project.

There was yet another shared worlds bro project that was held over at Zunder's Tavern.  It resulted in Gwenthia.

70/420

I've looked into Gwenthia and it's very interesting; however, I wouldn't want to game in that world because I feel it's too unique. Which is partly my problem with Glorantha. I guess when it comes to "worlds" I prefer something more generic and simpler.

I love settings like the Nentir Vale and The Southern Reaches because they give you a great jumping off point to get started while leaving plenty of room to hash out your own spin on things.

• Like 1

I've looked into Gwenthia and it's very interesting; however, I wouldn't want to game in that world because I feel it's too unique. Which is partly my problem with Glorantha.

I understand and am largely the same way.  In general, I want a world that's lightly brushed out and leaves a lot to be decided in real time.  I want the feel to be there without all of the details.  Others like delving into that stuff, which is good.  I'm going to end up forgetting half of it anyway!  :D

• Like 1

70/420

Sounds interesting, I don't know if my meager data plan will hold out but If I'm able I'd like to help. If it turns out I'm unable to help, I'll let you know. I didn't realize my first post would have me signing up for something like this. I got 23 random rolling BTW.

• Like 1

Imagine, Adventure, Have Fun!

Sounds interesting, I don't know if my meager data plan will hold out but If I'm able I'd like to help. If it turns out I'm unable to help, I'll let you know. I didn't realize my first post would have me signing up for something like this. I got 23 random rolling BTW.

Welcome to basicroleplaying.org Dave! Glad you're interested in this project. :) the whole point is for this to be fun and creative, so no worries

Welcome to basicroleplaying.org Dave! Glad you're interested in this project. :) the whole point is for this to be fun and creative, so no worries

Thanks. Making a world, or in this case a nation, is the most fun part of Game Mastering for me so I'm relatively sure I'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

No! I think it's great! And my apologies about the delay, I received a windfall of websites to build in the past three days so I've been über busy. I should be able to get those maps to you tomorrow, however. Great work!

As you can see I love my ridiculous names. 

The Thronelands!

I love this, its so cheesy heavy metal sword and sorcery old school !!!

Go for it!

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 1 month later...

I know it's been two months but I thought I'd share what I've done on Project sandbox after getting the official map from Nakana, I've been busy with helping remodel my mother's house so I haven't done much.

large.Political_Map.png.76b832b71a80bde1

large.Viridia_and_Her_Provinces_Natural.

I used the Sketchy Cartography Brushes from Deviant art for the mountains and forests. I'm hoping to finish my cities towns and over abundant roads soonish. 

Edited by Dave the DM
  • Like 3

I'm not Nakana so I obviously can't call the rules here.  Personally, I'm keeping an eye on what's done (the excellent work of Dave the DM) while doing what I want.  Right now I'm brewing up some civilized urban animistic theocratic orcs with an eye towards animal husbandry and truth magic who are currently fighting a semi-secret war against a dwarves lich-lord.

Uhrlzug.png

• Like 3

70/420

First, let me say that it's really exciting to see more people having interest in this! I need to get my stuff uploaded as well. 

Second, MrJealousy, yes.. primarily medieval/high fantasy. However, the idea is that each person has full control of their own country. So while modern/futuristic would seem out of place, something like flying ships powered by magic is certainly plausible. 

Regarding scale, I need to update the map to show that specifically, but just for some ad hoc scope, Rosefall would be comparable to France. 

Third, if anyone would like a hex gridded  and non hex gridded map of their country just send me a PM. 

Last, I'm really looking forward to seeing that vast differences from one country and culture to another. :)

Okay, I'm in!

I rolled...a 3. Hmmm, Mr. J, I'm your neighbor across the straight.

Nakana! Send the map that I may populate the environs forthwith!

Bring me your finest wine and cheeses! This game amuses me.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08