Looks like somebody's doing a BRP supplement

Dredj

Postmortem Studios

100 Dark Places & General Update

I am now more than halfway through 100 Dark Places.

Writing these isn't easy and the further on you get the harder it gets as the ideas seem to become more repetitious, even when they're not. Hopefully this will give people a lot of good ideas for one off games, sections of their campaigns or even whole campaigns. Once 100 Dark Places is finished I intend to take a little break to deal with some business stuff outside of the writing, then to whip out my alien invasion comedy game before finally, after several years, moving on to complete All These Worlds a hardish science fiction system based upon the RuneQuest OGL.

What's the difference between the two? Runequest is the only BRP game that I have absolutely no familiarity with.

If it's being based on the OGL version of Mongoose's version of the Runequest system, it's not a "BRP" game.

Basic Roleplaying is the name of the new core book based on the core system used in Chaosium games for 30 years.

Chaosium and Mongoose have been very careful to distinguish the two games. There may be a high degree of compatibility, but the systems are not identical. I am told that the Mongoose game diverges from BRP in many ways.

If it's being based on the OGL version of Mongoose's version of the Runequest system, it's not a "BRP" game.

Basic Roleplaying is the name of the new core book based on the core system used in Chaosium games for 30 years.

Chaosium and Mongoose have been very careful to distinguish the two games. There may be a high degree of compatibility, but the systems are not identical. I am told that the Mongoose game diverges from BRP in many ways.

I guess I'll have to take the time to look at that Bloodquest supplement more closely.

I guess I'll have to take the time to look at that Bloodquest supplement more closely.

RuneQuest was the first BRP game, but the trademark is now used by Mongoose and not Chaosium. "Old" RuneQuest was BRP, the new system is slightly different (mostly in bad ways). Mongoose RuneQuest have released their system under the OGL, which have led to a lot of 3rd party publishers using that version for their products.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Mongoose RuneQuest have released their system under the OGL, which have led to a lot of 3rd party publishers using that version for their products.

This was quite obvious, of course. The OGL is definitely the best detail in MRQ (well, there are other advantages of course, let's be fair). In any case the system is being slowly corrected over the months.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

The OGL is definitely the best detail in MRQ (well, there are other advantages of course, let's be fair). In any case the system is being slowly corrected over the months.

The OGL is great. Especially as it allows people to use those parts of the system they like, and exchange the ones they don't with their own houserules. Having something similar for BRP would be great, but isn't going to happen. I'm curious to see the BRP license contract though (if I get a respons from Chaosium that is!) ;)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

The OGL is great. Especially as it allows people to use those parts of the system they like, and exchange the ones they don't with their own houserules. Having something similar for BRP would be great, but isn't going to happen.

Being able to publish for BRP "as it is" would be enough for me. With all that options, there is very little need for houserules.

I'm curious to see the BRP license contract though (if I get a respons from Chaosium that is!) ;)

Anything I sent them over the years got a reply. And we are talking snailmail, not electronic.

Especially as it allows people to use those parts of the system they like*, and exchange the ones they don't** with their own houserules***.

* The name ("RuneQuest"- mmm, like it...)

** The rules (bleuch - they're trash!)

*** Or BRP - so much better than MRQ!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

From a legal and commercial point of view, yes, RuneQuest and BRP are completely different games and there is no connection between them whatsoever.

However, historically, RQ and BRP were closely linked and form part of a wider family of games that includes games such as Other Suns.

From a player point of view, I don't really see the distinction.

It's like the difference between Swedish and Norwegian - they are different languages, they are politically different and they have different grammar and vocabulary but most Norwegians and Swedes can understand each other pretty easily (I think/hope).

I can see no problem, for instance, in using Land of Samurai with BRP or BRP Rome with RuneQuest.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

...but most Norwegians and Swedes can understand each other pretty easily (I think/hope).

/delurk

Depends on the Norwegian >:->

But yes, Danes, Swedes and Norwegians can usually understand each other. A particular dialect may take some getting used to but on whole it's true.

/relurk

BRP and RQ derive from the same, or similar, rules-sets.

I am probably wrong here, but this is how I understand it:

BRP derives from Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer 5 with some RQ3 thrown in. The base Call of Cthulhu are derived from BRP which was a cut-down version of the RQ Rules. The original Stormbringer was based on a similar set of rules to RQ2, but was quite a bit different, it evolved through various Stormbringer and Elric games until Stormbringer 5 which a lot of people consider to be better than RQ3, if such a thing were possible.

Mongoose RuneQuest derives somewhat from RQ2 and RQ3 but is heavily different. RQ3 derived from RQ2. RQ1 did exist but is almost the same as RQ2, RQ1 was written for Chaosium and wasn't based on anything else.

So, from a system point of view they are similar.

However, Chaosium lost the rights to RQ when they sold it to Avalon Hill. They got the rights to the RQ system, but not Glorantha, when Avalon Hill stopped publishing for a number of years (as I understand it) but Greg Stafford's Issaries gained the RQ Trademark and commissioned a new version of RuneQuest. Chaosium brought out BRP which is based on their own rules system.

So, they are owned by two different and rival companies and are no longer connected, despite a shared past.

BRP is not RuneQuest and RuneQuest is not BRP. But both are d100.

I hope that doesn't help.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

It's like the difference between Rugby Union and Rugby League - they are both forms of Rugby but split a long time ago. One became professional, the other stayed amateur for years and then became professional and now people can switch between codes. So they share a common heritage but are controlled by different bodies and have different rules. They are compatible to a certain extent but are fundamentally different.

It's the same with BRP and RQ. Both D100 but with different owners and different rules, but ultimately fairly compatible.

It's like the difference between Rugby Union and Rugby League - they are both forms of Rugby but split a long time ago. One became professional, the other stayed amateur for years and then became professional and now people can switch between codes. So they share a common heritage but are controlled by different bodies and have different rules. They are compatible to a certain extent but are fundamentally different.

It's the same with BRP and RQ. Both D100 but with different owners and different rules, but ultimately fairly compatible.

I get it. Thank you.

So, both versions of Runequest are very similar, system-wise; but they are considered different from a legal standpoint because Mongoose made some changes to the rules? That's how I'm understanding this.

Simon said it all, but I'll add two more details.

a) Both? There have been five editions of RQ so far (one unpublished).

B) They are not [legally] different because Mongoose made some changes. They are because Issaries (the Trademark owner) wanted something different, yet recognizable as RQ. It was intentional. Whereas the similarities between BRP and previous editions of RQ, which are much deeper, are intentional too.

However, Chaosium lost the rights to RQ when they sold it to Avalon Hill. They got the rights to the RQ system, but not Glorantha, when Avalon Hill stopped publishing for a number of years (as I understand it) but Greg Stafford's Issaries gained the RQ Trademark and commissioned a new version of RuneQuest. Chaosium brought out BRP which is based on their own rules system.

Just some notes for the record(s)...

Chaosium never lost the copyright to RQ, they sold the trademark to Avalon Hill. And then they licensed the contents of the game (under an exclusive license one has to presume) to AH. Avalon Hill was bought up by Hasbro at the end of the 90's and was transferred to Harbro's fully owned subsidiary company WotC. Someone at Hasbros legal department failed to renew the trademark registration for Runequest, so the trademark lapsed and Issaries (Greg Stafford's company) nicked the trademark just under the nose of Chaosium.

So that's how Issaries and not Chaosium got the trademark Runequest. Since the rules of a game is not copyright protected and since Stafford had some part in writing the original Runequest rules, Mongoose was able to reproduce large parts of RQ II and III in MRQ, which is why the games are so similar.

/Peter

Peter Brink

Just some notes for the record(s)...

Chaosium never lost the copyright to RQ, they sold the trademark to Avalon Hill. And then they licensed the contents of the game (under an exclusive license one has to presume) to AH. Avalon Hill was bought up by Hasbro at the end of the 90's and was transferred to Harbro's fully owned subsidiary company WotC. Someone at Hasbros legal department failed to renew the trademark registration for Runequest, so the trademark lapsed and Issaries (Greg Stafford's company) nicked the trademark just under the nose of Chaosium.

So that's how Issaries and not Chaosium got the trademark Runequest. Since the rules of a game is not copyright protected and since Stafford had some part in writing the original Runequest rules, Mongoose was able to reproduce large parts of RQ II and III in MRQ, which is why the games are so similar.

/Peter

Close, but not quite. AFAIK, Chaosium made no effort to get the RuneQuest

trademark. They were too busy with other things.

Mongoose was able to write MRQ for the sole reason that the rules of a

game cannot be copyrighted. Greg's background with RuneQuest and

BRP had no bearing on the situation.

-V

...Mongoose was able to reproduce large parts of RQ II and III in MRQ, which is why the games are so similar.

Really? I've only seen the MRQ SRD, but that differs significantly from good old RQ2/3.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Close, but not quite. AFAIK, Chaosium made no effort to get the RuneQuest trademark. They were too busy with other things.

Oh, they did, they did... they even tried to claim the Glorantha trademark...

Mongoose was able to write MRQ for the sole reason that the rules of a game cannot be copyrighted. Greg's background with RuneQuest and BRP had no bearing on the situation.

Well, Stafford made some comments on the Glorantha-L list that would lead you to think otherwise and if you study the copyright notice in the MRQ SRD:s OGL, the SRD is claimed to be based on "original material by Greg Stafford".

Peter Brink

Really? I've only seen the MRQ SRD, but that differs significantly from good old RQ2/3.

Oh, there are many similarities. The RQ Companion is almost thorough copi... - erm, I mean, paraphrased from the RQ3 Gamemaster Book. It appears someone did not realize they could have made a RuneQuest Ships out of it.:rolleyes:

In any case, I am pleased with the situation as is. I have seen the RQ Slayers PDF and the thought of the trademark being owedy by WotC makes me shiver (RuneQuest D20?).