God of the Month: Jonat

Jeff

From time to time, I plan to post a little information about a Gloranthan deity here on BRP Glorantha. I'm going to start with a demigod, Jonat Big Bear.

Jonat

(JO-nat) Malkioni and Orlanthi pantheons – demigod founder of Jonatela

Jonat Big Bear is the demigod son of Redel the Bear God and was born among the Rathori barbarians in the late Second Age. His adventures brought him to Seshnela around 1050 and he returned to Fronela with troll and wizard allies. He enslaved the Yellow Bear and unified the petty kingdoms and tribes of Syanor, often by force, and founded the kingdom that now bears his name. He retired into his underground tomb at the end of the Second Age and it is prophesized that one day he will return from his tomb to punish the enemies of his people.

Jonat is worshiped as the founder of Jonatela and as a war god. The rulers of Jonatela trace their descent to him and serve as his priests.

Jonat is depicted as a bipedal bear wearing a crown and carrying a sword.

• Like 6

As usual, such name dropping creates lots of questions leading on.

Redel the Bear God sounds like a civilized version of Rathor, possibly the form venerated or propritiated by the sedentary folk of the Janube valley and Syanor.

Was Jonat subject to the need for hibernation? (And if so, how did he overcome that?)

Jonatela grew to be a direct neighbor of Carmania when the Carmanian lion shahs were succeeded or rather overthrown by the bull shahs. What sort of conflicts have there been over Charg before the Ban?

Is the yellow bear in any way similar to the blonde spirit bears of the Pacific coastal forests of the USA and Canada? A sun bear (deity)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermode_bear

Enslaving bear gods appears to be a trend in Third Age Glorantha - Jonat's Yellow Bear, Teelo Estara's Sky Bear and Harrek's White Bear.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

He retired into his underground tomb at the end of the Second Age and it is prophesized that one day he will return from his tomb to punish the enemies of his people.

"Lord Jonat, hear our prayer! Our enemies are laying waste to our lands! Come forth with Crown and Sword and defend your Folk!'

(muffled voice from inside tomb) "Grrr... mmmph...  I'll be up soon... just five more years..."

"We have honey..."

(Tomb door flies open) "I'M UP!"

Works every time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

"Lord Jonat, hear our prayer! Our enemies are laying waste to our lands! Come forth with Crown and Sword and defend your Folk!'

(muffled voice from inside tomb) "Grrr... mmmph...  I'll be up soon... just five more years..."

"We have honey..."

(Tomb door flies open) "I'M UP!"

Works every time.

Nearby swarms of bees, angered by the recent Honey heroquest close in on the heroes....

Edited by Iskallor
  • Like 2

I think we've got ourselves a heroquest... If we can just beseech Mralot to let one of her children accompany us on the Honey Quest, we might be able to pull this off!

There's obviously two pre-quests or early stations to this quest:

1) You need to get the runt of Mralot's litter

2) You need to find the donkey a tail

• Like 2

• 6 years later...
On 7/4/2022 at 2:35 AM, triciab79 said:

What kind of bear is Jonat?  I need to do an illustration and I’m struggling to find what sort of bear he is. Also, would he wear armor or just naked bear with a crown and a sword? 

He was most likely from the Irgari, or Brown Bear Rathori. But he was also descended from Redel, and I'm not sure what kind of specific bear he represents, if any. There's a lot of bear gods in Glorantha!