Tentacles 2008 Beetle Rapport

Tentacles 2008 Beetle Rapport:

So, after many years of wanting to go to the con, I finally gathered a couple of my friends and headed south!

FRIDAY:

We flew down to Frankfürt, and then took the train to Bacharach, where we arrived around 7 p.m.

My compadres:

Jaran:

02.jpg

And Morten!

03.jpg

Bacharach was quite a cool town, with old buildings...

04.jpg

...and gargoyles!

06.jpg

The castle lay on top of a steep hill which we had to climb to get there. CON rolls were only failed once during the walk. Nice view on the way up though.

07.jpg

Arriving at the castle, we found the infoshrine where we registered and bought beer-coupons! It turned out that I had won one of the horror lotteries, so I would get the chance to play with Charlie Krank himself later that weekend. We rushed down to the cafeteria to get some dinner while it was still being served, and used some time to search for the key to our room afterwards (turned out the door was open...).

Tentacles Pubquiz

My group did horribly. I blame it all on the D&D questions.

08.jpg

Cthulhu for President Rally

Mike Mason leading the ceremony. My ears are still ringing...

09.jpg

SingalongaNick

A group of singers in the cellar singing Gloranthan tunes. I joined in for some songs, but not long enough to tick the Sing-skill box.

Socializing

After that, socializing and drinking! Great fun. Had a long talk with the famous Simon Phipp among others! I also talked a bit to Pedro Zivani who is writing the "Mythic Iceland" supplement, and was happy to hear that the project was progressing well.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

SATURDAY:

Game Sign-up Riot

This is after the actual riot. The game board was pushed around until it ended up against the wall.

11.jpg

Gianni stopped by this day! I finally met the original BRP-man!

12.jpg

The tentacles banner: (the guy in orange t-shirt started to call me and my friends norwegian #1, #2 and #3!)

13.jpg

Gregory Privat (to the left) and his "Race around the Block" miniature game. Next time I'm definitely signing up for one of his games.

14.jpg

The castle seen from a bit higher up:

15.jpg

10 years of Yog-Sothoth

A seminar with Paul and Helen Maclean, the creators of the great Yog-Sothoth page for Cthulhu. A big inspiration for BRP Central!

19.jpg

Horror Lottery: Ghost Light

The Cthulhu game with Charlie! Which my character survived by the way!

20.jpg

The Masters of Luck and Death FreeForm (didn't participate on that one, but it looked fun):

21.jpg

In the evening I played a game of Mongoose Elric! with Pittel as gamemaster. The game run smoothly up to the final confrontation, where we were hiding around in the woods for a long time since we were not accustumed to Hero Points. When we started to use them too, we kicked ass! MRQ actually worked pretty well. I wasn't that happy with the Hero Points, but happy enought to buy my first MRQ book in over a year (Blood of Orlanth).

Tentacles by night:

24.jpg

SUNDAY:

Tentacles Group Photograph 8

With Fabian, Tentacles main organizer, standing out on the courtyard.

25.jpg

A HeroQuest game with Darran Sims as Narrator. First time I ever played HQ, which was quite a different experience. I didn't like the system itself, but the gamemaster bumped the failure to a crit! A great gamemaster and great props.

26.jpg

Then I played my first FreeForm, "A Thing Well Done", where I played an Uroxi Storm Khan. Also a lot of fun. Unfortunately it clashed with a Gwenthia game Loz ran, which I also wanted to try out a lot. Maybe next time!

Tentacles Wine Tasting

Sat across to David & Mrs. Dunham, but did unfortunately not come up with any obscure Glorantha question to ask about.

28.jpg

Then some more roleplaying! A strange narrative-based indie game run by Mik Reed. The game was a blast! The system was über-strange, but the game was a blast. Lots of good GM's on this Convention!

31.jpg

Closing Ceremony:

32.jpg

Con officially closed, but the night was still young!

Me and Charlie! I tried to pump him for as much information I was able to - and yes! There WILL be a hardback edition!!! :-D

34.jpg

Norwegian #3. He managed to be the most drunken man on the Con the two previous nights, but this night he failed his CON rolls at last and had to go to bed. It was clearly up to me to defend Norway's reputation this night!

36.jpg

Many beers later...

Things are starting to get a bit blurry... I do remember this guy and his single malt though.

37.jpg

Hmm... Barely remember having a drunken argument about Norwegian copyright laws with this guy? Don't ask me what we're doing.

39.jpg

I think I might have been hit with a memory wipe or oblivion type of spell afters that... Can't remember a thing!

Ftagn!

More norwegians will appear to terrorize the Con next year!

29.jpg

<Growl!>

SGL.

Great pics and report Sverre.

I'm sooooo glad you enjoyed yourself and, especially the MRQ Elric Pittel ran >:->

If you come to Continuum... I may well run the Gwenthia game again :thumb:

I'm thinking about going to the Continuum too. A Gwenthia game would then certainly be on my list then! Maybewe can have a beer together and talk abit too! Might have to bring my girlfriend too then though. I'll have to behave then. ;)

Great report, Sverre!

Sounds like lots of people had lots of fun.

And Happy Syttende maj :party:

Thanks jarulf! The party is on right now actually! :D

I am glad you enjoyed my game! :cool:

You do look good in fur! :D

Hehe, the game was great! The GM inspiration was actually one of the really good part of the Con. The fur-picture is from your site of course, but forgot to mention that. So, for more picture from the Con: visit Flickr: Darran!'s Photostream

SGL.

Looks like a great time! I especially love Charlie's PETA shirt!

On the back it says something like "Vegetarian: Archaic term for someone who can't hunt, fish or cook, a useless person".

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 3 weeks later...

Cool! I'm definitely going to Continuum now, so I'll get to try it then.

I wondered if you were going - you're not on the Members List.

Will you bring the "Escape from Insmuth" that you were playing in the basement too?

If so, try and get a playtest - it's really fast and looks like a good game.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

I wondered if you were going - you're not on the Members List.

Just payd today! ;)

If so, try and get a playtest - it's really fast and looks like a good game.

Did you have the opportunity to try it?

SGL.

Did you have the opportunity to try it?

Yes, I was in the basement throughout the Auction - and I normally never miss the Auction, so it shows how much fun the Playtest was.

We had a large sheet on a table with areas roughly marked in marker pen and a road network drawn out. There were buildings marked "Fire Station", "Church" and so on. We used simple lead figures and the opponents were just plastic counters. But, the game was fast and easy to play, exciting and obviously dangerous, we could use various tactics but there was some randome element as well.

All in all, it was very good. With proper figures and buildings it will look awesome, as Gregory's games always do.