ALL MAGIC SPELLS IN ONE DOCUMENT?

Armandrik

Hello,

I'm warning you..I speak french. So, I'll do my best in English :-)

I'm pretty new to the BRP system. I love it. But for MAGIC, there is a lot of spells in a lot of document. Is there a document where we can have all the spells that exist in the BRP system? All spells in one document? I found, in this forum, that a GRIMOIRE MONAGRAPH was a finished project...but I did not find it. I would like to make easier the searching for all those different kind of magic system for my player...espacially those who want to play a a character with the Magic skill.

Thank yoy for your help :-)

Chaosiums The Magic Book has most effects for spells your players will probably ever need. 

http://www.chaosium.com/the-magic-book/

Also, for more of a fantasy setting I'd recommend Classic Fantasy which also has a good deal of old school spells. There is no one book with ALL of the BRP spells and sadly, because they are from dozens of authors, they likely never will be in one book. Everyone wants their piece. ;)

• Like 1

Also, it's worth remembering that BRP is a generic enough system to have MANY different magic systems, not just one... so a book with "all spells" would also need "all magic systems."

A decidedly non-trivial undertaking!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, Armandrik said:

Hello,

I'm warning you..I speak french. So, I'll do my best in English :-)

I'm pretty new to the BRP system. I love it. But for MAGIC, there is a lot of spells in a lot of document. Is there a document where we can have all the spells that exist in the BRP system? All spells in one document? I found, in this forum, that a GRIMOIRE MONAGRAPH was a finished project...but I did not find it. I would like to make easier the searching for all those different kind of magic system for my player...espacially those who want to play a a character with the Magic skill.

Thank yoy for your help :-)

I wrote a Unified Powers document a few months back. Unfortunately, it has only what is in the BGB with a few essentials from other game systems. It may be of limited use to you.

Edited by Akerbakk
  • Like 1

To be honest I would just lie a list of all the different magic system. And which books use system that are similar to each other.

I Know of the three system in the Magic book( spirit, Divine, and  a type of Sorcery) , The ones similar to them in Open quest , Mongoose and RQ6, Mysticism in RQ6 and , the Magic and sorcery system in the Gold book, Rune magic in Advanced sorcery, and Enlighten  Sorcery are the ones I know of.

Thank you all for you answer. I'M working on a document where I can put all the spells by domain (I'M running a Warhammer kind of game (mixting Hârn with Warhammer). When I'll finish the document, I'll give it to all of you...if you want it. I download so much of your documents (and Thank you to Akerbakk for his wonderfull document)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The mention of Hero System makes me wonder about GM or Player creation of Spells in BRP/RQ/MW. Certainly a spell that does sometrhing you don't expect (like the hopefully-fictional "Evan's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion") will come as a surprise when a PC party faces it for the first time.

I wouldn't make a document deliverately collecting "All the Spells" unless it gave me a little bit of guidance on how to come up with other effects in a non-point-based spell creation idea set. Say I want to make a spell that pelts my foe and his companions with a rain of rocks (bevause Everybody Must Get Stoned), how much damage do the rocks do? How long does the rain of rocks continue falling? How difficult is the spell to cast, and how many MP does it consume? Can it not be cast indoors or in other enclosed spaces like caverns and tunnels? Is it meant to annihilate the enemy or to hinder/annoy them?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2016 at 5:19 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

TCertainly a spell that does sometrhing you don't expect (like the hopefully-fictional "Evan's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion") will come as a surprise when a PC party faces it for the first time.

I agree, that NEEDS to be a spell!

I picture black smokey tentacles that see out an entrance to any room or container... the tiniest crack will not evade them. The tentacles then congregate around the one that finds and opening and force their way in, widening the gap... more and more till the spell is terminated. "No one is safe when Evan's Tentacles come calling!"

37 minutes ago, Simlasa said:

I agree, that NEEDS to be a spell!

I picture black smokey tentacles that see out an entrance to any room or container... the tiniest crack will not evade them. The tentacles then congregate around the one that finds and opening and force their way in, widening the gap... more and more till the spell is terminated. "No one is safe when Evan's Tentacles come calling!"

What a horrible thing to do to someone. Which is why I hope the spell does not appear in the game, at least not often.

• Like 1

Didn't Strombringer/Elric! have its own system of magic that is not compatible with the rest of the BRP series?

I'm wondering now just what sort of spell pelting someone with a rain of rocks would be. Would each of the forms of magic have their own way to create this (or any other) effect?

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Didn't Strombringer/Elric! have its own system of magic that is not compatible with the rest of the BRP series?

I'm wondering now just what sort of spell pelting someone with a rain of rocks would be. Would each of the forms of magic have their own way to create this (or any other) effect?

Elric /Stormbringer uses  the Sorcery magic system from the BRP books.. In the Mongoose rune spell book  magic book there a spell that pelts people with rocks.. There was one rock per intensity  level and each rock did 1d4 damage armor protecting against damage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Back in the old day, pretty much each RPG that Chaosium produced had it's own magic system. Since each magic system was tailored to the setting they were all somewhat incompatible with each other. The BGB compiled several of those systems into one document. And, as has been noted by the author and players, the various systems are not entirely compatible with each other.  That's not to say they they won't work mechanically with one another, but that they are not all equal in power or versatility. 

The magic system in the early editions of Stormbringer was not quite as flexible as the one used from Elric! onward, but significantly more powerful. Basically you built demons based on the sum of your attributes, and it was fairly easy for a sorcerer to wind up with a sword that had a +4D6 damage or more. The end result of which was that those with demon weapons and armor in Stormbringer had an overwhelming advantage over those who didn't. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

6 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

4 hours ago, TRose said:

In the Mongoose rune spell book  magic book there a spell that pelts people with rocks.. There was one rock per intensity  level and each rock did 1d4 damage armor protecting against damage.

You're probably not going to kill someone that way unless you get really lucky with a Hit Location roll. Which is fine -- if you want to kill someone with stones, it will propbably take a while (unless it's a small rock used as the bullet in a sling or something like that) and a lot of people throwing a lot of rocks. Execution by stoning was decidedly unfun.

Given that in our world stoning was a popular punishment for offenses against religion (blashphemy, sexual sins. etc.) I can see something like this being used by priests and other religious figures as a means to kill their enemies in a humiliating fashion. Since it's a formalized execution, the executionee won't be wearing armor (and might be wearing virtually nothing!).

There was no such thing as play balance in the first Edition of Stormbringer. I still have my copy , although it is falling apart.  It had the worst balance of any BRP game system

. Some one with sorcery was way more powerful then some one who did not. And when rolling for your country of origin, if you got Melibone you hit the jackpot as you got an extra 1d10 power and I believe an extra 1d6 int.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

You're probably not going to kill someone that way unless you get really lucky with a Hit Location roll. Which is fine -- if you want to kill someone with stones, it will propbably take a while (unless it's a small rock used as the bullet in a sling or something like that) and a lot of people throwing a lot of rocks. Execution by stoning was decidedly unfun.

Given that in our world stoning was a popular punishment for offenses against religion (blashphemy, sexual sins. etc.) I can see something like this being used by priests and other religious figures as a means to kill their enemies in a humiliating fashion. Since it's a formalized execution, the executionee won't be wearing armor (and might be wearing virtually nothing!).

It was a Runequest sorcery spell if I remember right.  And the Malkoni have a strict moral code so I could see them using it to punish the guilty.  But you could also use it against unarmored or lightly armored  monsters like a horde of trollkin.

Edited by TRose

5 hours ago, TRose said:

There was no such thing as play balance in the first Edition of Stormbringer. I still have my copy , although it is falling apart.  It had the worst balance of any BRP game system

. Some one with sorcery was way more powerful then some one who did not. And when rolling for your country of origin, if you got Melibone you hit the jackpot as you got an extra 1d10 power and I believe an extra 1d6 int.

Or another player could be a Nadsokorian beggar with -1D4 CHA and -1D4 CON.

Yet, it was a fun game, and I actually enjoyed the randomness. Character mortality was also pretty high in the early Stormbringer. But maybe in your next 'life' you might roll a Melnibonean or a Pan Tangian...:D

Stormbringer was fun on several level and I missd a few things that where not carried over to later editions.

First where the four virtues for those that followed Law. Not as powerful as having a Demon but still very useful.

I also liked the Demon of desire and demon of knowledge. Neither would fight at all but having one demon that would answer question for you(even if not all that honest) and another that would fulfill your desires was nice.