Wyrm's Footnotes

Noita

4 hours ago, kaydet said:

There was talk about a possible reprint some months ago, but from what I understand I think it's pretty far down on the list of priorities.

Yep, a WF reissue is definitely on the cards - not happening any time soon though, sorry!

• Like 1

I second the motion for reprints.. I would also like some of the old Runequest articles in different worlds too.. Then I need to win the lottery and then send the people at Chaosium lots and lots of money for things I want.

Guest Vile Traveller
8 hours ago, charlesvajr said:

I wouldn't think that Tadashi would be that difficult to convince with regards to reprints of the articles themselves if not the actual magazines.

My thoughts exactly, although then it might also be necessary to get the authors' permission to republish in a different format (depending on the original contract).

1 hour ago, Vile said:

My thoughts exactly, although then it might also be necessary to get the authors' permission to republish in a different format (depending on the original contract).

I don't what the copyright status of material in Different Worlds is, but that is precisely the reason why reprinting Tales of the Reaching Moon is unlikely: the editorial policy of Tales was that copyright of all the material published in the magazine (artwork & articles) is retained by the original authors.

Edited by MOB

12 hours ago, Vile said:

Unfortunately, magazine reprints are seldom as easy as they would seem. They take a lot of time, especially as the number of issues involved increases. The main reason that both the Dragon Magazine (1-250) CD set and the White Dwarf (1-100) DVD both failed in the end were because of copyright issues and author/artist permission. It's not easy tracking down and getting dozens of people's permission, etc.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Considering the limited bandwidth that Chaosium has to push stuff through the pipeline, I guess as much as WF would be wonderful, I can see other higher-priority (quicker payoff both for the players and Chaosium) sorts of targets that should probably come first.

21 hours ago, MOB said:

I don't what the copyright status of material in Different Worlds is, but that is precisely the reason why reprinting Tales of the Reaching Moon is unlikely: the editorial policy of Tales was that copyright of all the material published in the magazine (artwork & articles) is retained by the original authors.

I scanned through a few of my old issues I have at hand (#4, 15, 17, 22) and all indicate published and copyright by Chaosium.  Looks like they fall into same status as WF. 

• Like 1

On April 25, 2016 at 7:12 PM, jajagappa said:

I scanned through a few of my old issues I have at hand (#4, 15, 17, 22) and all indicate published and copyright by Chaosium.  Looks like they fall into same status as WF. 

While that was true when those issues were published, when Tadashi left Chaosium in 1985 to strike out on his own he took the ownership of Different Worlds magazine with him. If you look at later issues of the magazine you will see that it was published by Sleuth Publications.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

5 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

While that was true when those issues were published, when Tadashi left Chaosium in 1985 to strike out on his own he took the ownership of Different Worlds magazine with him. If you look at later issues of the magazine you will see that it was published by Sleuth Publications.

Thanks for clarifying!