The Green

Puck

I just got the go-ahead from Dustin at Chaosium to work on the Green as a future setting for BRP. Whaaa Whoo!

For those who never visited the recesses of the Shared-World on this forum, the Green started to develop as a fragment of the Shared-World with a lot of help and encouragement from members here on the forum. This book and setting will truly be a child of BRP Central.

Thanks to all who helped!:thumb: Hopefully I can still count on your help along the way.

This is the first and probably best quick description:

A fantasy dragging ideas in from Larry Niven’s Intragrel Trees, Endor and the wookie world from Star Wars, and particularly Arboria from Flash Gordon. (Also hugely influenced just by watching squirrels or ants climbing trees while I was sitting in a deer blind and wondering what it would be like if…)

The whole idea would be that the relatively limited setting would be overshadowed with vast trees. The canopy would be a world of its own complete with strange races, both intelligent and bestial and adapted to their verdant environment. The Branches would be huge and easy to walk on.. at least to a point. Much of the magic would be based on manipulating and influencing the ubiquitous wood and growing things. Beneath this green world is the dark, swampy root world where other less wholesome critters dwell.

Into this world more civilized humans are making inroads to trade for the valuable, woody, magical and medicinal goods of the Green. In trade these foreigners bring metals and strange magic.

The following is the first few lines to present a glimpse of the setting.

The Green

Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the Dreams of trees unfold.

-J.R.R Tolkien, The Two Towers-

Some say it was a garden planted by the gods when the world was young so they could shade themselves from the fiery sun and take rest from their prodigious pursuits. Others maintain that there is strong healthy magic pouring down with the waters that feed the land, enhancing its flora and fauna with prodigious health and size. Still others speculate that it is a verdant hell where the spirits of the prideful and cursed are sent to spend out eternity in a place were they are only but insects, preyed upon by venomous predators. Perhaps, there is a little truth to each…..

Stretching from the Sky-shelf Mountains in the east to the shores of the Open Ocean in the west lies the forested lands of Verduria, often simply called: The Green. The sky is dominated by monolithic cypress and oak-like trees that stretch hundreds of feet towards the heavens and cover the dark interior with their canopies. The mist shrouded land is veined with large slow moving rivers and most of the earth below the limbs is dark, shadowy and often wet an swampy.

The trees and swamps of the Green provide cover and sustenance to a broad array of life. Thousands of species: insects, snakes, lizards, mammals and birds as well as less wholesome things have found their homes under and in the leafy canopy of the verdant Eden. Many of these creatures, like the trees themselves, have grown to enormous size. With the dangers of Verduria come a wide variety of benefits and resources not found in other parts of the world. The green is abundant with strange herbs, fruits and flowers that work as drugs and medicine and are in high demand. The wildlife itself provides a wide variety of trade goods : venoms, furs, ivory and even giant insect chitin find high prices in the markets of more civilized lands.

The Green can be a setting in its own right, but hopefully it can be placed of the edge of any homebrew or published setting to give a kind of change of pace and setting for existing campaigns.

294/420

Congratulations and Celebrations ! :thumb:

This is very, very good news, and I have no doubt at all that The Green will

be an excellent setting for BRP ! :)

Hey, and my group may well have been among the first ones to visit this

new setting ... :D

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Congratulations! I have been kicking around the idea of running a campaign in a fantasy setting, but focusing on the Cthulhu Mythos.

Sort of Call of Cthulhu meets Dungeons and Dragons. Well, needless to say, the news of a BRP book that can be adapted to a variety of settings was very welcome news to me.

Now, the news that people are going to be publishing settings such as yours only makes me even happier!

I can easily see making use of your supplement, and am eagerly looking forward to it!:D

Thanks, good to hear. The dank dark mists of the Green may be a perfect place to introduce some Cthulhuish horrors. Would be a pity not to have something of the sort lurking around. >:->

294/420

I just saw the blurb on the front page. I usually do not go there. Thanks for the add Trifletraxor. :) looks cool. This gives me a thought. Maybe I can challenge my art guys to do something a little more with the picture. Thanks. :P

294/420

What I told Dustin at Chaosium was October. As I am a greenhorn at doing this I am not really sure. As of monday I am done teaching and my summer vacation begins. I can then put some serious time into it. I am hoping to have most of the writing done by July. The big question is how long the editing, art, and graphic layout will take.

294/420

• 2 months later...

I have much of the magic and traditions for the Green finished. Although the guy who is editing the material does a great job he is not very experience with brp or the rules in general. Not being particularly persnickety myself, I am looking for a volunteer or volunteers who can help look through and edit the rules heavy portions and head off mistakes and make suggestions. I am particularly concerned about chapters on magic, alchemy and creating magic items. If anyone would be interested please let me know. :)

294/420

Unfortunately neither my English nor my knowledge of the rules are up

to the task.

To bad, I will try to keep you up to date though. I have been trudging away all summer and I have most of the Setting, Cultures and Magic Stuff close to finished, I still have to add monsters, NPC's and such. Hopefully those will go pretty fast. I had some serious real world problems and then a nasty computer virus that really slowed things down. In the mean time I am waiting on the artist and the editor, who have been leaking stuff back to me. I think I will go over my original target date of October, hopefully it will be done before Christmas.

I would still love to see your undersea world get translated into English some day. You really have something there.

This is so funny – I just got to the battle of London tree this morning on the train, and here is a new thread about a world based partially on “Integral Trees” – I can’t wait!

Yeah! that book really pulled me into its setting. If I can even pull off half the environment and mood Nivan did there it would be great. It has got to be one of my favorite sci fi settings.

294/420

I would still love to see your undersea world get translated into English some day. You really have something there.

Thank you very much. :)

Unfortunately I am moving away from a translation instead of coming closer

to it. My setting now has about 140 pages of (generic - without any game

stats) material, and it still keeps growing, and with each additional page a

translation becomes a little less likely ... :(

And once The Green will finally be available as a lost colony for my setting's

characters to visit again (I am really looking forward to this !), this will be yet

another chapter to add to the material ... :D

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Puck, I'd be delighted to read through and proofreadyour work on the Green, if you still need someone to do it. Please send me the rest of the setting background as well: It helps to read a whole work so as to have full context and perspective. Please contact me at drmshadw [at] gmail.net.

• 6 months later...

Originally I thought I would be done by last October, but a whole bunch of real life problems occurred and jammed everything up. Things have been pretty slow going since then. Most of the basic stuff is written and I am waiting for it to be edited. I have been trying to work on Scenarios, adventure hooks, and stating up personalities right now. This is really the last stuff to be written but I really do not know how much of this stuff I will really be able to squeeze in. As things get closer and closer, more and more stuff needs to be re-written and adjusted and that is what is taking a lot of the time. In the long run I think it will be up to the guy who is editing and how fast he can work. He is very busy though and works in spurts. If there is one thing that I have learned it is that I have no idea how long certain things will take. If I absolutely had to guess, I would say mid-summer, but that is like heaving blind artillery shells.

Thanks for asking though. It is nice to see that someone is still looking forward to it. :)

P.S.

Another thing that has been taking an awful lot of time is that I have been trying to learn how to make semi-presentable pictures for the book. The problem is that I end up having more fun doing that and then I put off the writing a little. Here is an example of a couple of pics I was working on.

post-133-140468074271_thumb.jpg

post-133-140468074272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Puck

294/420

....Another thing that has been taking an awful lot of time is that I have been trying to learn how to make semi-presentable pictures for the book. The problem is that I end up having more fun doing that and then I put off the writing a little. Here is an example of a couple of pics I was working on.

The results are worth it - those are excellent!

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for the encouragement, it helps to keep me going.:)

Nick, if you feel like this type of stuff could make the cut and you have any need of images for the next copy of Uncounted Worlds let me know. I am a fan and would love to help out in any way I can.

I can do full character cuts like this pretty quick and easily. Backgrounds and more interactive stuff takes a little longer. Just let me know what you are looking for.

294/420

Another thing that has been taking an awful lot of time is that I have been trying to learn how to make semi-presentable pictures for the book. The problem is that I end up having more fun doing that and then I put off the writing a little. Here is an example of a couple of pics I was working on.

Are you kidding? I'd say they're pretty darn presentable:thumb:

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

The results are worth it - those are excellent!

Cheers,

Nick

The art is very nice. Kudos.

Edited by leonmallett

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

Thanks for the encouragement, it helps to keep me going.:)

Nick, if you feel like this type of stuff could make the cut and you have any need of images for the next copy of Uncounted Worlds let me know. I am a fan and would love to help out in any way I can.

I can do full character cuts like this pretty quick and easily. Backgrounds and more interactive stuff takes a little longer. Just let me know what you are looking for.

Cool - life and work are manic at present but expect a PM by the end of the weekend - but only on the condition you also keep working on The Green! ;-)

Nick

• 1 month later...

This is so funny – I just got to the battle of London tree this morning on the train, and here is a new thread about a world based partially on “Integral Trees” – I can’t wait!

I loved "The Integral Trees". The description of The Green also reminds me of Brian W. Aldiss's "The Long Afternoon of Earth". I hope the final result will bear more resemblance to "The Integral Trees" than to just primordial forest fantasy.

RPGbericht (Dutch)