Who was Pavis

David Scott

I mentioned in the Half-elf thread that I was going to look at the sources for the origin of Pavis.

@Joerg said

On 27 June 2016 at 0:55 PM, Joerg said:

There are astonishingly few sources on Pavis the hero. The Pavis cult in Cults of Prax, the Pavis history in the Pavis box, and King of Sartar. All other sources appear to be reprints of those texts.

I notice that I got his parents wrong (once again) - a human mother and an aldryami father, according to King of Sartar p.164.

Having gone through Drago Pass, Nomad Gods and RQ2 with no results. The first real piece of info on Pavis occurs in Cults of Prax, Invader Deities page:

Pavis was a mortal human, admittedly of special parentage, who came to Prax to found his city around the year 800 in the Second Age.

So he was born a mortal human with special parentage, not changed as I had suggested. This along with the KoS reference - a human mother and an aldryami father means he took his mother's form.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

8 hours ago, David Scott said:

So he was born a mortal human with special parentage, not changed as I had suggested. This along with the KoS reference - a human mother and an aldryami father means he took his mother's form.

Well, anyone playing 13th Age Glorantha knows what Pavis's 'One Unique Thing' was then...

• Like 3

So basically this turns towards the question, who was Pavis' mother, and who were her fellow conspirators?

They are very briefly mentioned in History of the Heortling Peoples (p.45)

850. City of Pavis Founded
Everyone knows that Pavis original story is not of Dragons and EWF at all. It is indicative of the kinds of other experimentation that was going on under their rule. Pavis for instance, was attempting a Great Experiment that was sponsored by many influential peoples. The experiment failed, the city remained and the financiers went bankrupt.

While mainstream Kerofinela went draconic and grew scales etc., this group set out to explore Green Age humanity instead. (I doubt that the finances mentioned above were monetary - more likely, it was an investment of magic, in whichever currency.)

There is some speculation in the (now "post-canonical") description of the Five Runes Ring in the Hero Wars "Masters of Luck and Death" supplement which might be related to the activities in the EWF.

King of Sartar mentions a contest of two individuals who could live the longest (p.164) - this might have been another effect of this group.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Byll said:

"Lord Pavis knew my father, my father knew Lord Pavis"

I think somewhere I read that he helped Gerak Kag's mother avoid birthing trolkin* but more in a consulant capacity.

* possibly in TradeTalk the magazine

I think there's a good example of using the man rune there...