New design notes - Sorcery!

MOB

On 19/09/2016 at 7:06 AM, Jeff said:

"Basic Magic" in HQG is just using your Runes to augment abilities, plus any breakout abilities you want from a Rune ... In RuneQuest, you can also use your Runes to augment abilities, but that's called "Using Your Runes". 

Ohoh... if i'm not don't make any mistake you can use your rune raw to augment basic abilities like :
-A waertagi having a Water Rune covering up is body with Water elements to swim better
-A Loskalmi Noble charging up is body with Stasis Rune (and a tons of magic power) to be able to live hundreds years despite looking in is 40'.
-Or an Orlanthi fumble using is Air Rune and becoming a permanent Airhead... XD

Not an open-magic but close too and Glorantha's proof.

So what I'm trying to work out here is is there a terminological correspondence here that is straight forward to explain between the names used by the two games, and (regardless of potential for confusion), do the two sets of terminology describe the same Glorantha?

Saying that HQG Basic Magic is not RQ Spirit Magic just leaves us with a few other questions. 

Because if orthodox Western peasants and warriors, not to mention every Orlanthi, is running around with Spirit Magic and charms, that is clearly not a thing that would happen in HQG. So then Spirit Magic and charms in HQG don't seem to mean exactly the same as Spirit Magic and charms in RQ, which is at the very least incredibly confusing in a practical sense (eg whenever any document uses the terms, it will immediately raise questions), and at worst means the version of Glorantha described by the two games is confusingly different. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't think runic augmentation would be perceived as a magical effect unless it is augmenting an actual spell.

I think it will just increase the chances of using mundane skills that it is relevant for.

So for example, a character may swim more effectively if they have the Water Rune, but perhaps the same thing could just as easily occur if they have an affinity with the Mastery Rune.  

Whilst Gloranthan spells tend to be flashy and visual, I doubt  there would be any overt or obvious effect using the Runes with mundane skills, other than a more successful outcome. The skill itself  is just more likely to succeed, due to the character mindfully using their runic affinities.

So I don't think I envision using Runes as augmentation to feel like an Open Magic system. Rather instead I think it is closer to the BRP BGB rule of 'related skill/knowledge', except with some wider applications. If this was RQ6/Mythras, then Rune Affinities would just be classified as additional 'Passions' if the game is set in Glorantha.

I need to check this, but I think Jeff posted somewhere in the design notes that Rune Affinities grant +20% in CRQ4, which is a pretty substantial bonus. So although the effect may not appear overtly magical, it could seem like people are almost preternatural at times, depending upon which skills they use their Runes with.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 9/19/2016 at 1:06 AM, Jeff said:

In RuneQuest, you can also use your Runes to augment abilities, but that's called "Using Your Runes". 

Oooh, now THAT sounds interesting. 

Is that something other than spellcasting? Just how does it work? What can the augment? What is the benefits? Could the use something like Mastery and Beast could they augment their ride skill?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.