M-SPACE Test Print

clarence

Finally the test print has arrived! I'm very happy with the quality; Lulu do indeed make nice books these days. See photos below. 

There are a bunch of small corrections to make, but as soon as they are ironed out, I will make a PDF preview available. Shortly thereafter, the book will be released.

I also want to alert you that the PDF BRP Starships in the download section will be taken down in a few days. There are a number of reasons, but mainly because of rights issues. I have no license to use BRP, and with this similar book going commercial, I cannot risk keeping the fan product around any longer. I think you will find M-SPACE a worthy successor, and that the additional material and rules upgrades makes it an attractive proposition. 

introduction 01.jpg

deck plan 01.jpg

circles 01.jpg

• Like 7

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

Thanks Simlasa! The amount of white space varies, but I think the upper and lower of the images are about as white as they get. Not that I mind white spaces in layouts; I believe they are as important as text and illustrations to create good layouts. RPGs tend to have a bit too packed pages for my taste.

• Like 2

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

5 hours ago, clarence said:

I believe they are as important as text and illustrations to create good layouts. RPGs tend to have a bit too packed pages for my taste.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of a bunch of visual clutter just to fill the page. This appeals to me the same way Classic Traveller did with its LBBs.

• Like 1

It's still a square format, but a few millimeters are added to suit Lulu better. Good to hear it turned out well when you printed it Nick!

1 hour ago, K Peterson said:

That is definitely quite a lot of white space. To be honest, a couple of those pages look a little stark.

It's always difficult to show just a couple of spreads. I believe (and hope) the layout as a whole communicates stylish minimalism. 

• Like 1

It's easy to add hit locations to the list of Modules. If you have a neat handwriting, Armor and Shields per location will fit too. (Armor and Shields per location is optional though). In play, I have listed locations separately, crossing out Module values/hit points just as for regular character HPs. But that's of course a matter of taste. 

Back to de-railing the thread: I didn't find an illustration of Captain Jamison in my GDW 2nd edition LBBs. What I did find was: no illustrations at all in Book 1, two technical drawings in Book 2 (with some quite scary equations below them), and finally a handful of vehicles collected on one page in Book 3. Anyone else got these?

That's what I find, too.  I'd not realized there were no illustrations.  Of course, I only recently obtained the '81 edition.  I've had the '77 edition.

I understand this the current state of RPG books requires lots of art.  I've come to hold the opinion that one should forgo art if one can't get GOOD EVOCATIVE MOOD GENERATING art like that which was achieved in the Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea rules. 

I like that the '81 books don't have illustrations.

Edited by ThornPlutonius
  • Like 2