Guide to Glorantha Group Read Week 6 - Time in Glorantha

p111 - Interesting titles of Time.  The "Backbone of Kana Poor" and the "Weapon of Ghani"

p112 - Do think it's a shame that we weren't given the Vithelan Year Count (which is currently something like 2600) or even the Kralori year count.  

My initial thought upon reading "Weapon of Ghani" was whether this could be a mis-scan of Gbaji.

Kana Poor is of course notorious from his appearance in ILH2-Under the Red Moon, where he is named one of the 12 apostles of the Red Moon alongside the Seven Mothers (minus She-Who-Waits), Etyries and Valare Addi, and controversial names like Fjordaur and Oskrascota.

On p.80f of ILH2 Kana Poor's story is told. The inclusion of his name in this document makes me assume that that information still is at least somewhat canonical.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Kana Poor is of course notorious from his appearance in ILH2-Under the Red Moon, where he is named one of the 12 apostles of the Red Moon alongside the Seven Mothers (minus She-Who-Waits), Etyries and Valare Addi, and controversial names like Fjordaur and Oskrascota.

Kana Poor is far older as the wielder of the Third Arrow at the Battle of the Four Arrows of Light.  He is also called Scribe of Time and Wielder of Age.

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

On p.80f of ILH2 Kana Poor's story is told. The inclusion of his name in this document makes me assume that that information still is at least somewhat canonical.

Kanar Poor is canonical.  The ILH-2 was an attempt to develop some mythology for him and I must say I'm not impressed.  He fires the Third Arrow (outranking Irrippi Ontor and Yanafal?) does nothing for a wane and then develops the Wane Calendar which the Lunar Empire best remembers him for?

I myself think he was a God before the Battle of the Four Arrows.  Perhaps a servant of Yelm, perhaps a servant of Dayzatar.  The Goddess discovered him in her quest and brought him back.  But his worship has since been lost due to the ravages of the Wars Against Sheng Seleris.

• Like 1

This chapter was quite short and technical in nature. Of course there was mythos-part. We calculated that if you convert (from days) 1600 years of Gloranthan history to human years, that is 1200 years. 1200 years around year zero (1200 BC to 1200 AD) in our world gives about the setting where we move in Glorantha. Well, this is playing with numbers, but it was interesting still.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrutila said:

This chapter was quite short and technical in nature. Of course there was mythos-part. We calculated that if you convert (from days) 1600 years of Gloranthan history to human years, that is 1200 years. 1200 years around year zero (1200 BC to 1200 AD) in our world gives about the setting where we move in Glorantha. Well, this is playing with numbers, but it was interesting still.

I never bother converting Gloranthan years to earth years.

A year is a year is a year.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Yes, Kana Poor is one of those Gloranthan mysteries. Has been canon as casting one of the Four Arrows of Light since the Redline history was first published in Wyrms Footnotes, but apart from an association with Time that is virtually all that I know. 

Trawling through ancient digests via Google, Nick Brooke once posted this excerpt from Greg's Lunar WIP

: Kana Poor 
: Scribe of Time 
: A disciple of Irrippi Ontor, Kana Poor mastered secrets of the Red 
: Goddess and inaugurated the recording of Lunar history. He was first 
: to discern the fifty-four year cycle of the Lunar Wanes, hailing the 
: inception of the Second Wane during the New Year festivities of 1302 
: S.T. (This has forever after been 2/1 in the Lunar calendar). He is 
: also regarded as first among the Chronomancers, those Lunar magi who 
: have a special understanding of Cyclical Time and the waxing and 
: waning flux of Lunar energies.

• Like 2